“Little gem, with a great breakfast.”
Review of The Clarence Hotel

The Clarence Hotel
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
London
“Little gem, with a great breakfast.”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Stayed here while attending a 40th birthday party at Spitbank fort. The manager was very helpful, and the rooms were beautiful. Very high standard of finish in the bathroom. Breakfast was super high quality, great bacon and sausage, and the best poached egg. Toast was thick cut and tasty, and they even had Marmite. Great fruit juices too. Lovely little bar which we didn't get to try out. Would definitely come again if we go back to Portsmouth.

3 Thank Simon C
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2013
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, albeit a short one with us. Hopefully next time we will be able to welcome you for longer.

Kind Regards

Jenny Brunning

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2012

My partner and I stayed here for one evening and really liked the place. It's in a nice area of the city and very close to some great bars and restaurants. The hosts were friendly, and our complimentary arrival drink was gratefully received.

Our room was decorated to a very high spec, with heated floors and modern bathroom, lovely White Company products, and chocolates on our pillows. The only improvements I'd suggest for the room would be to invest in a better iron (it was small and not v good), and fit a brace for the shower head (we had to sit in the bath and hold the shower head over us).

Breakfast was lovely, with fresh fruits and home made bread available, as well as a great selection of cooked brekkie. We both had the salmon and scrambled egg on English muffin - delicious. One bit of feedback I'd give is to have a coffee/tea station in the room - we had to pay $5 to have a cuppa delivered to us in the morning, which we assumed would be in the room as standard with a hotel of this quality.

All in all, a good stay, and we would come back again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012
Thank you for your review and feedback. It is always nice to hear the positive remarks but just as importantly things that could be improved upon also. The iron has now been replaced thank you for letting us know. The shower head I'm afraid has to be where it is so that it can be flexible and is also a health and safety requirement as we have the Aqua Vision TV's at the end of the bath. With regards to tea and coffee, we have always advertised that we do not do tea trays in our bedrooms. We much prefer to offer this complimentary in our lounge so that our rooms are kept free from tea/coffee stains. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us apart from the couple of niggles and would hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future. Kind Regards, Jenny Brunning
abingdon
Reviewed 10 December 2012

A big thank you to Jenny & Mark for making our short stay a very pleasant one. This is a fabulous hotel and we will certainly be returning. Having managed to sample 2 of the bedrooms we thought we might work our way through!!! Absolutely nothing can be faulted, even Jenny's homemade pesto & pinenut bread was georgous even if Mark doesn't agree!!! A truely wonderful place with staff to match. Hope to see you both soon x

Room Tip: Book direct with hotel & not through agent as this allows you to pick a room
2 Thank lizzAbingdon
Thank you for the wonderful review. We really enjoyed both your company over the weekend and are pleased that you managed to stay in a room with a bath for at least one of your nights. I know you really enjoyed being able to watch TV in the bath - pure luxury! I do advise people to book direct with the hotel so that they can choose their desired room. Hope to see you both again soon and have a wonderful Christmas. Take care, Jenny
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

My wife and me stayed here for just one night for my birthday (one night was too short!), We arrived with a welcome drink and a warm welcome. We were taken to a great room which was booked from the Hotel website (would recommend), we stayed in the "Wild at heart" room which was spacious, airy, bright and had a nice sunken bath! The best bit was the on demand films which are free and can be watched in the bath! The choice of films are very good. We had a good nights sleep and woke to a very nice breakfast. Would recommend, probably the best hotel i've stayed in - in the UK. Competitors take note - this is the desired standard that people need and want. Thanks again Clarence Hotel.

Room Tip: Use the hotel website to pick your desired room.
2 Thank djajb
Thank you for your wonderful review and it was pleasure looking after you both. I hope the next time you are back in Portsmouth we will be able to welcome you back for longer. May I wish you a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Warm wishes Jenny
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

An excellent hotel, from the moment you step through the door, you are looked after from a complimentary drink on arrival to an absolutely delicious breakfast! I will certainly stay in this hotel again. PS the warm bathroom floor was a great touch!!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank faymariej
Thank you for your review and it is always nice to know what guests really enjoy whilst staying with us. I know it was your first visit with us but hopefully not the last. Look forward to welcoming you back in 2013. Warm Regards Jenny
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Just stumbled across this little gem whilst trying to find something decent in Portsmouth/Southsea. This is the best hotel I've stayed in in this area by far. The luxury room with the spa bath was fantastic and the room had everything you could wish for to make the stay enjoyable. I just wished I could have had another night. Great breakfast too. I'll be back

Room Tip: Check out the hotel's web site for details of the different room available.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank JohnPerkins
It was a pleasure looking after you John and hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the future. Regards Jenny Brunning
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We returned to this hotel on a high after first visit but not all good this time I'm afraid,on our first evening, I was woken by noise which I thought was heavy rain at 230am,then to my amazement and looking outside no sign of rain, it was actually a shower going and also the bathroom fan, this went on and off for 35 mins, I was just about to phone reception, when it stopped, I mentioned this to member of staff next morning at breakfast and she informed me that she found it hard to believe this would happen,so next evening we returned after busy schedule hoping for an deserved rest at approx 1030pm settling down there was a loud roar above ie the jacuzzi bath started, and we could actually hear the film they were watching but at least noise stopped at midnight, this a great boutique hotel breakfast and cleanliness first class though.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ivor D
OfficeatTheClarence, Owner at The Clarence Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for choosing the Clarence once again for you second visit to Portsmouth in September. I am sorry to hear that you encountered some noise issues and hope that it will not put you off booking with us again in the future. I was not informed by the member of staff of the noise issue and had I been informed I would have acted on it immediately. Once again please accept my sincere apologies.

i am pleased that you found the quality of breakfast and the cleanliness not to have altered from your first visit and can assure you we are always striving to improve on all aspects of our business.

Kind regards