The Clarence Boutique Hotel
Queen's Hotel(Portsmouth)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,241 results
All reviewssunken bathwelcome drinkunderfloor heatingon arrivalsmall hotelfantastic hotelwedding nightbreakfast was deliciouslittle touchesfull englishparking permitcooked to perfectiona wonderful staysea frontbeautiful roomflorence armswould highly recommend this hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Peace, quiet and a friendly welcome. Everything was as described and so relaxing. The availability of tea and coffee whenever you wished without the fuss of making it was a lovely touch. Yes a road back from the front (protected from the wind etc) but parking else was not a problem. The room was spacious and very comfortable. All the staff were fabulous and nothing was too much trouble. We only stayed one night but felt like we had been away longer we felt so relaxed. I would really recommend it.... except then it may not be readily available when I want to stay next...... really wonderful.

Room Tip: Go direct to the hotel's website then you can select which of the eight very different rooms you would prefer - I found it was the same price as the more general websites and lovely to select a room.
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Not too aware of the hotel my wife had booked for us, I was a little concerned as we drove down the small side road following the sat nav's directions. But the concern I had was totally unfounded, for although the hotel is in a side road, once you enter the building itself all of that is forgotten.
The welcome we received was as large as the front door and we felt very much at home almost instantaneously. Whilst accepting our complementary drink and checking in, we started to notice the warm ambience and décor of the friendly little bar area and the dining room, (where we would enjoy our very tasty breakfasts in the near future) while our bags were being taken to our room.
When we were ready we were led up the staircase to the very top until we were escorted into our accommodation for our stay, 'The Monkey Room.' Named such thanks to the wall paper.
Left to our own devices we settled in to the very decent sized character room. A large part of that character, alongside the wallpaper was the staircase leading to the bathroom. And what a bathroom. A stylish affair, from the sculptured toilet, and dual sinks, to the under floor heating. AND then onto the shower. The flush to the floor, huge walk in shower. (I really do want that bathroom in our house!!)
They can even arrange for you to have a massage in your own room - something we both did and would recommend Sarah, our masseuse to anyone. A lovely treat.

In conclusion, we agreed that it was the little things that give The Clarence its stylish individuality that helps it stand out amongst the crowd of hotels in the area.

Warm, Friendly, Stylish, and full of Character.
We do not hesitate in recommending anyone to stay at The Clarence.
Enjoy.........(and if you like your showers - ask for the monkey room).

Room Tip: Love your showers? Ask for the Monkey Room
1  Thank David C
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Do not worry about driving off the main seafront road, past all those faceless large hotels. Take a turn into a tiny back road and hidden away, a little gem awaits! OK it's not so hidden but you get the gist! As many other reviewers state, a warm welcome awaits. Having arrived by car, my husband popped inside the hotel to ask about parking. Out came Jenny with parking pass in hand and helped us with the luggage. She welcomed us into the hotel and straight into the bar area where she offered us a drink. When finished, we headed to our room and she had already taken up our luggage. Great from my point of view as we were on the top floor with no lift. Do not be put off, the stair cases are compact and not steep. The room was lovely and had everything you need for a short break. I had deliberately booked a room with a bath as I love to have a good soak. The water pressure was a little slow so it did take some considerable time to fill the bath, but the heated bathroom floor makes you feel very relaxed so it really did not bother me. A nice touch was the TV at the end of the bath! It fed off the main TV in the bedroom so my husband and I could watch the same film while I enjoyed my bath! The whole hotel is well maintained and very clean. The breakfasts were very tasty and plentiful! If you wanted something off the menu, Mark and Jenny were very accommodating. While my husband and I knew what we wanted to do and see over the two days we stayed at the hotel, we did hear both Mark and Jenny helping other guests with their "what to do" dilemmas. They are both very good hosts. My husband and I highly recommend this lovely little hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: If you are mobility impaired, choose a downstairs room
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Having stayed in the local 'chain' hotels on our many visits to Portsmouth, we wanted something a bit more special this time and The Clarence definitely offered us that. We stayed for two nights and arrived during some truly horrific weather to a warm bar area and a welcome drink. Mark and Jenny were very welcoming and showed us to the beautiful 'Black and Gold' room which is situated at the top of the hotel. Despite the howling winds outside, the room was warm and cosy, helped by the heated floor in the bathroom. The dressing gowns and toiletries gave a real sense of luxury and the aqua tv in the bathroom meant it was quite tempting to spend the weekend in the comfort of the room!
Breakfast was amazing- a choice of fresh fruits and cereals and plenty of options on the cooked breakfast menu; I highly recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled egg muffin! Tea, coffee and toast were readily available and topped up. I looked forward to the breakfast on the second morning as soon as i'd finished it on the first!
We would definitely recommend the Clarence over any other hotel in the city- tucked away luxury and worth every penny. We'll be back.

1  Thank TD02HWK
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Mark and Jenny are friendly and chatty owners, relaxed, informal.

Immaculate room. Huge attention to detail. Would have liked a bath not just a shower but my own fault for not checking the room spec. as it was a last-minute booking.

Not the cheapest, but why take risks? No dinner option, but very happy with a panini when we arrived, saving us a trip outdoors into a hurricane.

Room Tip: Downstairs room by reception does not have a bath.