“Really good- we would stay again”

Esk Vale Guest House
Ranked #10 of 35 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Brilliant value for money. Central location - a few mins walk from Southsea seafront, £5 in a taxi to Gunwharf Quays where the dockyard is. Guest house lovely and homely. Rooms quite small but big enough - very clean and fresh decor. Spotless bathroom & lovely toiletries (which we did not expect for the price we paid). Breakfast was really nice & arrived fast - hot full english, other hot options (egg & soldiors etc) with plenty of cereals / continental options too. Lots of toast provided - which was really tasty. Owner very friendly on phone answering all queries before we arrived, explained everything we needed to know on arrival and service spot on. Nice atmosphere with other guests at breakfast. Info provided in welcome pack very useful and made us wish we had more than 1 night in Portsmouth! The area is really beautiful- If you don't know it like we didn't then stay here - you really can't go wrong.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed Saturday with our daughter & her partner all very pleased with rooms , very bright and clean.Comfortable beds and lovely breakfast served by the very amicable owner Andy.Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: both rooms on ground floor were perfect
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The nature of my work means I have to stay away quite regularly in hotels. The company usually arranges a 'boutique' type corporate hotel. However, when I come down to the Portsmouth area on business or pleasure my first choice is always Esk Vale.

I've probably stayed in every single and twin room at Esk Vale and I really cant fault them. The beds are exceptionally comfortable, the en-suites and shared bathrooms are great, internet is free and VERY fast, they provide comprehensive toiletries, a very personal touch and I really love the clean homely feel of the place.

Andy and Valery have been steadily refitting improving and upgrading the rooms since my first stay almost a year ago. They've just installed new furniture in the breakfast room too.

Esk Vale can sometimes be an interesting place to meet people. Its not uncommon for complete strangers to strike up a friendly conversation over breakfast. I can only imagine people feel relaxed and at home here, or is it that first class breakfast at work?

If like me, you want to get away from the corporates or faddish boutiques and stay somewhere that's home from home in Portsmouth & Southsea - Esk Vale is most likely your cup of tea

Room Tip: just talk to Andy and Valery, they are very accommodating
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Glass B
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel in Southsea. The owners Andy and Valery were excellent and just loved the breakfasts and my room was spot on. Lovely bedroom and I had the best night's sleep I have had in a long time. I have spinal spondylosis and the bed was so comfortable I had to ask them where they had purchased it as I definitely want one.
The location of the guest house is just 2 minute walk from both the sea and the boating lake and it is very easy to catch a local bus into the city centre.
I have stayed in this guest house several times now because I like it so much. The whole experience is very welcoming and I am intending to return there next week for another two weeks. It is like going from home to home, but when I am there I can just rest and relax, and take in the fresh sea air. Well done Andy and Valery and thank you for being such great hosts.

Room Tip: Just explain your own personal needs
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed in the Gods!!!
Single room at top of house, dated, not en suite, room poor, needs updating etc, breakfast ok but rooms that are not en suite have had their day.
Cant think I would go back.
Sorry good value but time to update your single rooms!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 52bear
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great communication with Andy the owner who accomodated my change of time arrival. On arrival was met by a friendly member of staff, given keys to my room and settled in.
Was only a very quick stop over on route to the North for business.
As I was leaving early in the morning I missed breakfast but one of the owners kindly made me some toast and I had some cereal from the breakfast room.
Everywhere I saw was spotlessly clean from the entrance, the room, the breakfast room etc - couldn't fault it - and the rate @ £32 for the night was excellent value for money as it's also in a great location.
Just one niggly little thing and that was the extractor fan in the bathroom (necessary of course, but) was flapping all night long as it was windy so it kept me awake, but not sure what (if anything) could be done about that.
However, that didn't detract from my overall (if brief) stay - would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are at the rear.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cheekiebadger
Reviewed 16 April 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for a one-nighter at the end of March, and found the place very clean and cosy. I think maybe we were the first female same sex couple they have had stay with them, as the host said, when we arrived, that he had booked us a double, and was that correct? Poor guy. Hope he was ok, and won't mind if we make a return visit.
Our room, number 4, was a nice size, and the bathroom had a lovely big shower that looked like it had not long been installed. A nice selection of biscuits and teas and coffee were on the complimentary tray, too. Breakfast the next morning was cooked fresh, and there were cereals, toast and tea or coffee to go with it.
All in all a lovely place, and good value for money. Hoping to stay again sometime in the future.

Room Tip: For a nice extra-quiet stay, ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple