“Serves a purpose” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Dumbarton, United Kingdom
“Serves a purpose”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

I have stayed here on many occasions and it is definitely one of those 'you pay for what you get' hotels.

Rooms are cheap for a city centre hotel and although are very basic and a blast back to the 70's at least they are reasonably clean and have tv etc.

The location is ok for Historic Dockyards and Gunwharf Quays.

Breakfast is a good hot and cold buffet, no complaints there!

Decent bar, snooker room, leisure facilities and swimming pool, laundry and ironing room..

Rooms range from £30 upwards and to be fair it was the old Sailors Home Club so people have to realise where they are booking in to. The name may have changed but the hotel still has the same grass roots.

If you don't mind basic this is an ok hotel for a few nights kip!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank SailorJack81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
portsmouth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

Didn't actually stay at this hotel, just making the booking was enough to put me off. I had booked this hotel for one week via booking.com but I accidentally booked for 2 people instead of one, upping the price by another £155!! When I noticed my mistake I quickly called the hotel to explain and asked to amend the booking, I was told that I couldn't change it as it was a website booking and was non-amendable. She told me that it was the weekend and so they could sell this room twice over for what I was quoted!!! If I wanted to I could contact the website but it probably wouldn't do a lot of good, the receptionist told me. All the while I felt that I was being a nuisance to her and she wanted me off the phone as quickly as possible. So I called the website administrators and asked them to change my booking - if I couldn't change it there was no point in me staying there anyway as the room would not be suitable. I was told that the hotel were unwilling to co-operate on any grounds and no matter what happened I would still be charged for the full amount of my stay!!! I found the staff at this hotel very unhelpful and unwilling to do anything to help a guest - working within the hospitality industry you would think they would be a little but more hospitable!!
I will never book with this hotel again if in Portsmouth, I would prefer to stay with the Innlodge Hotel a little down the road, or failing that go home!!!

Room Tip: Stay with the Innlodge Hotel instead. Much friendlier staff.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank queen-nkiki

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

suffolk england
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

I wanted a small hotel close to the centre of Portsmouth for access to the Cat service to the Isle of Wight and to visit the Gunwharf outlet centre For this purpose it was ideal and booking on line got a single room for £55 for the one night Check in was not until 2pm but that was explained. beforehand. I have stayed in better hotels at Gunwharf but they were more than double the price. The interior is definitely 70's and although dated was clean and tidy The view was non existent but my room was double glazed. and clean and tidy. When Goodwood is on there frankly is not too much choice but it was adequate and the breakfast was freshly cooked and plentiful .good value for money and very convenient .There was a small pool but I didn't have time to use it.Free parking saved a bit and the bar was handy

Room Tip: The west wing was a distance from reception so less mobile persons wouldnt like it .The rooms looked...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

we have just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Dissappointed with the standard of the room. We stayed in the West Wing, quite a hike from reception. The room was small for a double and the bathroom needed some TLC. The furniture was brown which added to the gloomliness. My husband being X Navy said it hadnt changed since the 70s. The breakfast although buffet style was good, although on the Sunday morning they ran out of tables and customers had to wait outside the dining room until one became available we actually shared our table with strangers, which I dont feel is acceptable. We have recently stayed at cheaper and better accommadation. Would not reccommend at all.

kettering
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

Just returned from Portsmouth following Bank Holiday week end away. This trip was a late minute decision so therefore choice was limited. Did read other reviewers comments but was not really prepared for the accommodation given to us. Tired is not the word, more comatosed. A real musty smell hit you as you neared the rooms, the room itself was in desperate need of a refurb with old tatty furnature and windows that would not shut. The bathroon had a lot of black mold on the ceiling and in the grouting, the toilet moved as you sat on it. The shower was controlled by the taps and boiling hot water was hard to regulate. Pubic hairs were in the bath and wash basin. The ceiling in the bedroon had a large bulging area with cracks in it and looked like it may fall at anytime. The TV had lines on it making it uncomfortable to watch. On a positive note, the breakfast was ok, with a choice of full English, cereals, fruit etc. The staff were very pleasent. Parking was limited but we did manage to get a space on our second day. Very close to Gunwarf Keys. Love Portsmouth, but will give this accomodation a miss next time, and at £90 a night very steep for what you received.

1 Thank KetteringSunshine
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Royal Maritime is located right next to the Royal Navy Dockyard, with a short walk to the port and the city centre. The parking is limited but they provide excellent alternative space opposite. The wonderful entrance hall and communal areas remind one of being on an old ocean liner, very classic. I was in the West Wing, of which the communal areas need a bit of refurb but the rooms were absolutely fine. I had a single room but it came with a queen size bed which was a nice surprise, it was on the quiet side street and had an enourmous bathroom. There is a small, clean swimming pool and steam room which I used every day and was virtually empty. They serve a very good buffet style breakfast. This is a members club which is run as a hotel and here is something old fashioned and atmospheric about this place, which I really liked.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank judgejudyuk
Tamworth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

One night stay.. which we had the luck to be in a recently refurbished room with all mod cons and has been done to a very good standard. Reception staff all helpful and polite. Breakfast nice and service good. An all round good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a newly refurbished room