“Ideal for visiting historic sights”

Royal Maritime Club
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Had a refurbished room which was clean, tidy and warm, if anything a little too warm. We arrived very early, concierge very helpful, letting us park on the forecourt immediately. Although the public areas are looking a little tired they give the feel of a bygone era, fitting nicely with our tour of the Gunwharf. Breakfast was adequate but overall good value, will stay again next time we visit.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Royal Maritime Club

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed here for one night as I was attending a conference.
I was pleasantly surprised.
I booked a single room and I got a single bed, which came as a surprise but that's what I should have expected. I booked late but paid the Rack Rate, £47.50. The room was clean, tidy and warm. The hotel has a nice bar, restaurant and pool, and gym, but I didn't get to see them.
The hotel is very convenient for the historic dockyard and Gunwharf/Spinnaker Tower, so if that's why you're in town, why would you go to another hotel which is further away?

Room Tip: Great location.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed for one night booked at last minute through Laterooms.com, this hotel looked to fit the bill as it was central and close to all amenities of Portsmouth. On entering the lobby all looked fine, friendly staff, bar to the right and plenty of wood panelling and various pictures of ships and a nautical feel. On walking to the room it became apparent this was a budget hotel past its best. The pool looked inviting but was empty and the tiling looked grubby, I expected someone to be using it at 5.00pm The corridors were clean but so worn and paint was coming off and it all reminded me of my days spent 30-40 years ago in government training establishments. The room was spacious but bland and needed updating. The flat screen TV was high up in the far corner from the bed and so far away you needed 20:20 vision to see it; it was also loose on the wall. The furniture in the room reminded me of flat pack and was worn out and dated. There was the usual tea and coffee in room but patterned cups were remiscent of something out of a charity shop, the curtains were of the same era too. There was summary of the history of the hotel in the room saying how it had been visited by various Royals in the past due to its history (hence its title 'Royal'), I dont think they would have stayed long or will be coming back soon.
Breakfast was the best bit, plenty of piping hot food, great selection and efficient friendly staff

For £80 a night this was a very disappointing experience and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone at that price, I would personally spend a few pounds more and move to a modern hotel in Gunwharf quay. If the price was right it would have been acceptable but it was more like a dated B&B at a top rate price.
At night the area around the hotel was not nice, many old pubs corner pubs and at 7.00pm too many drunks staggering around in the middle of the road for my liking out of their head. It did not feel safe to be walking out alone in the dark round here.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room as some people here seem to have better rooms than others
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank wilnik
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I have stayed the the Maritime Club several times now as my husband gets a discounted rate, the recent visit was only a couple of weeks ago. Previously my husband and I have stayed in the West Wing but this time we were given a room on the 3rd floor, it was awful, we went straight back down to reception and asked if we could upgrade/change rooms. The very nice receptionist gave us a room in the West Wing - it was OK not as nice as the room we previously had in this wing but certainly a big improvement from the 3rd floor.

The hotel is so convenient for walking into central Portsmouth and for accessing the museums and best of all Gun Wharf Quays!!

The breakfast is always good and plenty of it and the staff are very friendly.

Yes a lot of the rooms are tired and definitely needing to be updated, but now reading comments from other people who have stayed, when we use this hotel again, which we will, most probably be in January I am most definitely going to ask for an upgraded/recently refurbished room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheBroons62
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Only stayed one night but found the room clean and comfortable though the bathroom could be updated, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the buffet breakfast was fantastic. I will definitely stay here again and advise others to.

• Stayed: October 2011
2  Thank Idealdave
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I thought this hotel was well located, righ near the Gunwharf Quays shopping. Old fashioned design but very clean, neat and friendly staff, its all you need.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whatnameiaat
Reviewed 27 October 2011

They are only keeping it open for the old timers. The wallpaper, bedspread and carpet in my room were torn, mold in the bathroom, and a "gym" with broken equipment from the 1980's--replete with posters displaying people from the 80's. Do yourself (and your sinuses) a favour and don't stay here.

• Stayed: October 2011