“Great hotel and excellent value for money.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Maritime Club

Royal Maritime Club
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Scotland
“Great hotel and excellent value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed for two nights in this hotel last week and found it to be excellent. We had a lovely room and only complaint was it was very hot but the hotel provided you with a fan. The bar was well stocked and reasonably priced and the entertainment was good. We could not believe that breakfast was included in the price and what a fantastic breakfast. The hotel only had a limited number of car spaces but apart form that this was a great value for money hotel with very efficient staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

This is a big old building and to be fair it does need a bit of tlc. However the main rooms - dining room, lobby etc are well decorated and modern and the staff are really great. The food is really good value and well cooked, great breakfast. If offers a small pool and jacuzzi and lots of space to read and relax - and free wi fi throughout which is more than can be said of a recent 5 star hotel i visited!! Overall it is in a fantastic location and does what it says on the tin.

Room Tip: a room facing the back of the building is a quieter option if Saturday night revellers are about
Stockport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Evidently this hotel was rebuilt in 1952, and it looks like a paint brush hasn't been near it since. Our bedroom had peeling wall paper, stains, the smallest TV in captivity and quite possibly the worse shower I've had in a long time, it also has a shower curtain, have these people not seen Psycho? but to be fair it is clean. They do have some parking spaces and if you don't get one of those the hotel has a concession with the car park over the road, £5 for 24 hours. The breakfast is good, buffet with the addition of kippers or smoked haddock. The location is excellent but the price: We paid £158 for two for two nights B&B is a little expensive.

Room Tip: Try to keep away from the front, we had the added attraction of a fight, not the hotel's fault b...
1 Thank noonan101
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

When I arrived at the Maritime Club I was pleasantly surprised that I could park in one of their allocated spaces. I expected the rooms to be a bit tired and they were. The room I was allocates had a cracked sink but generally was OK until I inspected the bed. The mattress was badly stained and even when turned over was still not acceptable. On reporting to the reception I was told the club was full at that the porters had gone home. However, we did then go visit the Mary Rose with the expectation that we would check out when we returned if the mattress had not been replaced. When we returned they had found us another room at the back which was even more tired and had the now common feature of a cracked sink. However, the beds were clean so we stayed

After a somewhat uncomfortable night (no air conditioning) and I must say a good breakfast we checked out. When I later complained, by e-mail, about .the mattress the manager said that he had inspected it and it was fine. If a 12 inch circular brown stain in the middle of the mattress is OK then please stay at this hotel. Pity I never took a photograph

A pity really as I have stayed here before when I was in the RN and it was good. Sorry to write such a poor review

Room Tip: Go for the refurbished rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Michael G

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed at the Royal Maritime Club for one night whilst I was away with work and was pleasantly surprised by my experience!

On arrival at the hotel, I was unable to park in the free spaces so parked on the car park opposite the hotel which cost £10 for up to 24 hours. From the outside, the hotel does look a little dated and on entering, it does seem a bit strange! But once I got to my room, I could have been in any of the standard budget hotels. I chose a deluxe room (116) which was quite small, but modern and well-equipped with a comfortable double bed, flat screen tv, tea and coffee and a good shower. The walls do seem quite thin though as I could hear next door's tv quite loudly. The double glazing also couldn't keep out the noise from the seagulls!

The staff were great. When I asked what time the pool was open until, they replied what ever time I wanted which I thought was really good. Whilst the pool and jacuzzi were only small, it was quiet so quite nice to have a wind down after a long drive.

I didn't eat in the hotel as Gunwharf Quays is only a short walk away so opted to eat in there. It's also really close to the historic dockyard.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and go for a deluxe room
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kate4787
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights at the Royal Maritime Club and really enjoyed our stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast and evening meal was good, one of our party was late, the kitchen had closed but the waiting staff kindly made a sandwich for them.
We used their swimming pool, where towels are provided, small but adequate for a quick swim.
We stayed in the West Wing, which was a little tired looking but very clean, my only complaint would be the pillows, extremely thin. Location is great for the dockyard and short walking distance to Portsmouth harbour train station. We hope to return again!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon Y
Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

Friendly helpful staff, first class buffet breakfast, very clean with well appointed bedrooms. We had two nights B and B with one 3 course evening meal and entry into the Dockyard museum for £219 for two. £52 of this was for the entry into the museum. Two minutes walk from rail station and museum. The problems of no air conditioning was address by a fan in our room.
Mr and Mrs O from Shropshire

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade (and additional £10)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple