“A great location and a good place to stop” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Maritime Club

Royal Maritime Club
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Scottish Borders
“A great location and a good place to stop”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014 via mobile

We stop here once a year, and I have to say that this place never changes, which is a bad thing as some of the rooms do need upgrading which seems to be taken a very long time.

The staff at this hotel are great, very friendly, and will answer any daft question or request you put to them.

The location of this hotel is perfect to visit the maritime exhibits which are close by and also the gun wharf quays shopping experience.

I love stopping here but the rooms do need updating, and the place is always hot.

I come here on business with leisure thrown in, and I wouldn't hesitate to bring my family down and stop here to see the warrior and victory and the other sights nearby.

A great location, just needs some updating.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

found the club by searching google maps, i did not find anything better near, and it is a short 3 block walk from train/bus depot and 2 blocks from the maritime museum, hms victory and hms warrior,and the stunning well curated hms mary rose ship and museum.[which needs a day!] All of which was what i was there to see.fabulous nautical bookstore at dockyard museum gate. entrance fee includes jaunty historical harbor tour. the hotel staff was very pleasant and polite all and remembered me by name ,which is most enjoyable. the public space is inviting and grand, not in the least 'grubby'.. nicely decorated for x mas while..whilst I was there.. and used by the locals for social events. there is a small pool, whirlpool,and sauna,[for weary tourist bones..ahhh] coin laundry, the rooms are basic and i found clean without any 'smell', no views[so what?] the price was most right, the included plentiful buffet breakfast [the waitstaff attentive] and english,[sorry england, beans tomatoes and mushrooms in the am...] but with plentiful good variety to make a good american or continental AM fill up. as a professional mariner in nautical portsmouth it was a natural. old portsmouth a hike but worth it for the evocative ramparts that defend the narrow entrance thru which channel ferrys seem to barely fit, no less centuries of british battleships.. find the only fish monger on the docks of the tiny ancient harbor and buy a bag of cooked crab claws for a cheap lunch.i sat on a bollard and cracked the claws with a brass bolt i found in the fisherman s gear... there is a pub right at the tip of oldtown, great view w of main channel w outside seating.the d day museum worthy as is the town museum, the shell of a medieval church with its roof still missing from german bombs.. and of course, a great jump off to me to invade Normandy, [by ferry] next place on my tour.

Room Tip: to me a good room is the price, the price and then..comfy bed, decent pillow, clean linens hot water...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

I was here for 2 nights and have to say I thought the hotel was great! The food was superb, excellent choice for breakfast and help yourself. I have only 4 suggestions to turn a good bedroom into an excellent bedroom: a sachet of hot chocolate; a small packet of biscuits; curtains in the bathroom and a handrail to get in and out of the bath. Like I said, not a complaint just suggestions. Would definitely stay here again. Very convenient for Gunwharf Quays and the main shopping area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank janeymop
Birmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked to stay here for one night last weekend. We chose to stay at this hotel as we have some friends very local so we chose it solely for it's location. The location is excellent, very close to the train station and the docks! Checking in was speeding and we were given room 1-1 which is at the back of the hotel. When we were walking down the corridor to the room we though we were going into the staff quarters or the kitchen. The room was very disappointing. There were stains on the carpet and the shower leaked all over the bathroom floor so had to rush our showers fearing that the water was going to run into the bedroom. The hotel was extremely noisy, I could hear someone running a bath at 7am in the morning, it was so loud I though it was in our room. We even heard a lady in the next room cough! The room backs onto a car park which is a bit grim but I suppose that can't be helped. We bought our swimwear to use the pool and the spa however the pool was very small and did not look inviting in the slightest so we gave it a miss. Breakfast was good with a selection of hot buffet food and all the usual cereals etc. We raised the issue with the leaking shower when we checked out and the lady said she would out it in the book. The room was £80 which to me is very expensive for this hotel and I would expect to pay this for a much more upmarket hotel. I don't usually like to pick faults but I feel these are justified especially due to the price they are charging.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kate R

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

What a disappointment! Stayed in the West Wing - the public areas felt grubby and tired, our room smelt and the bathroom was filthy - pubic hair on the loo seat and a dirty sink. The walls were dirty and the view from the window was of a parking area strewn with dog poo bags. I would have asked to be moved, but we were very late. I subsequently found out that two of our party did move room because theirs were so horrible - our dirty room wasn't a one off, hence this poor review.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Lipscombe
Nantes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

The Royal Maritime Club is an institution in Portsmouth.This is an old Seaman House.Seamen now scarcely stay ashore,because of shortened stopovers.Now tourists and workers are the new visitors.
The hotel lobby is gorgeous,with a traditional pub right after the reception.
The covered swimming pool is ensuite (usefull to autumn/winter/spring visitors !)
The rooms are simple,comfortable,very quiet,with spacy bathrooms.
Food is not the local specialty : breakfast could improve simply,with real coffee (not this kind of brown light soup),good quality bread,drinkable orange juice.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I've stayed here twice. Feb 2011 & Apr 2012.
Nice hotel, central and good service. I've stayed in single rooms and they are clean and comfy.
The bar is nice.
The first time alone I just walked in and got a room ok (weekday).
2nd time went with family.
I would recommend if visiting Portsmouth, especially HMS Nelson.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family