“HMS Hood Reunion” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Maritime Club

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Maritime Club
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“HMS Hood Reunion”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

On attending the annual reunion of HMS Hood, this venue proved to have a chef and serving staff who provided an excellent service and hot well prepared and cooked food. Special dietary needs were very well served and the individual was felt to not be 'different ' from the rest of us.
The accommodation is also very clean and comfortable and suits the need with a very ample buffet breakfast served.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Arabic first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights to attend a wedding nearby. I think we got a refurbished room because it was clean, the bed was comfy, and the fittings looked fresh and new. This is the quietest hotel I have ever stated in! We never heard other guests moving about, talking in corridors etc, so we slept well both nights.

There are a few issues with the corridors needing some fresh paint- however, if the hotel had to choose between renovating bedrooms or corridors, I'm pleased that they chose bedrooms!

There was no air conditioning in our room which might be an issue in summer. We also weren't given hand soap, which has never happened to me before (and I stay in budget hotels regularly for work!) the shower water pressure was non-existent (I normally take about 5 minutes to shower- it took me 15 minutes just to get all the soap out of my shoulder-length hair!) the lift is very claustrophobic (I only used it once because if this), and parking is very limited- a note for disabled guests: there is a disabled space but if you don't call the hotel at least 24 hours in advance to reserve it, they will allow other guests to use it. If all the hotel's parking is full, you can buy a permit to park in a side street for 24 hours from reception.

My main problem was breakfast. Firstly, the time: it's only served until 10am on weekends. This is far too early for people like us who have been out late the night before. I would expect it to run until at least 10:30. During the week, it's only served until 9:30am. Checkout is at 10am- again, too early for leisure guests.

Breakfast itself is... Ok. Not a great selection, but it is serviceable. On day 1, I asked for soya milk and was told that they had none but would order it in for our second morning (fair enough, I hadn't let them know I needed it for day 1). However, on day 2 I asked for it again, and it clearly hadn't been ordered. This was a bit frustrating- why promise a guest something and not deliver?

All in all, I'm not sure that we got value for money. However, I would return as the location is superb for exploring Portsmouth, and the hotel is so peaceful I had a great sleep!!

On a final note, we requested clean bath linen on our first morning.. We received towels but no bath mat. Why?

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank RebeccaP190725
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

First time in the building and very impressed with the decor. Not what you'd expect from the out side view. Enjoyable evening playing skittles in their basement sports/ activity area. Bar prices very reasonable too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed for four nights and were well looked after by the staff, had lovely meals and the rooms were very clean. I would recommend it if you want to visit the Historic Naval Dockyard as it is about a five minute walk from the entrance. [a hint - we used Tesco Clubcard Vouchers for our tickets]. It is also near the Spinnaker, the Gunwharf Shopping Centre and the railway station and bus stops.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I needed a hotel to stay over in Portsmouth - so I searched the internet for a place close to the 'Historic Dockyard' - there it was a five star hotel - over £100 for the night B&B - and I was informed that this was a good price! So I completed my work for the day in Chichester then went to the hotel. I am not sure where to start with this one really - so lets start with the good bits!
Staff in the restaurant were lovely and to be fair the food was very reasonable - so no great issue there. The history of the building is also great and very interesting - set up to assist sailors on home leave (during 'Nelson's' day) who had little money was the basis as I understand? So interesting stuff if your a Royal Navy 'buff' and a great cause too!
Location is great for the 'Historic Dockyard' just a short walk down the road!
Parking - limited at the hotel - but - don't worry - big car park right over the road (for parking to visit the 'Historic Dockyard).
OK - the rest of it - well the entrance is 'grand'ish' BUT there is something lacking here - not sure what that was - but it wasn't right! Now this will sound 'racist' but I hope it's not - two guys sat in the foyer - speaking a foreign tongue - looking very suspicious - no shoes on and feet on the table - hmm - not welcoming at all for me! OK so we let that one go - the lift to my room - hmm seen better days - tatty and scruffy - needed a service and a good clean. Opening on to a landing - wow - dirty looking place in much much need of a refurbishment - and - there again - a foreign guy hanging about in the corridor - looking very suspicious on his mobile phone! A short walk and I entered a much better area - clearly refurbished and looking much better.
Room - well it was OK - TV (that did not work - maybe die to weather conditions?) nicely refurbished - a little small maybe? Bathroom - again refurbished and OK - shower was the type you have to run around underneath to get wet - but hey - it worked!
Back downstairs - to 'The Victory Bar' - hmm - well again if your a Navy person (that is you are serving) this reminded me very much of my army days years ago - indeed it was more like a 'Navy Club' than a bar in a five star hotel (and I don't mean that to sound derisory).
So - in short not really the place for me - if I had paid three star money then sure - no big issue there - but as it was expensive and stated it was five star - no - not really!
Sorry guys - the game in your hotel has to be lifted an awful lot here - or adjust your prices to a realistic figure?
At the point of being boring - the staff are lovely and very helpful!

Room Tip: My tip here is - if you want 'Navy' ambience then this will suit you - if you want value for...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Bapsy3732
Watford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Had my stag in Portsmouth my best man chose the hotel. At first I was quite apprehensive as I read some really bad reviews on here. Actually it is out of date and the rooms need to be updated somewhat but for the price paid it was reasonable. I was happy to spend one night here. Reception lady was very friendly and breakfast was good. Manage your expectations.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

........3 stars is exactly what I would rate this hotel. The best way to describe this hotel is very clean and comfortable but dated. just because the lights in the room contain traditional bulbs which were popular in the early 90s doesn't mean its a terrible hotel!

If your paying for and expecting a 3 star hotel, you'll get just that.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple