“Not "strange"!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Portsmouth
Upper Mount House Hotel
Ranked #8 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Christchurch, United Kingdom
“Not "strange"!”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

I stayed again at the Upper Mount last week - boring to say, I know, but everything was superb as ever. Wayne charming & down-to earth, Carol courteusly served my healthy breakfast just as I like it, and no strangeness! (Or extra-terrestrials for that matter!) Had to lol on reading the "stange" review!
Thanks Wayne & Carl - see you again soon.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Johnfrisbee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Flintshire
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Having been let down at short notice by another guest house, we were provided with the contact details for Upper Mount. Wayne was very accommodating, friendly and greeted us on arrival. Due to horrendous rain, I rang to say we would be arriving later than expected, but this was no problem and Wayne was grateful that I called. The room was large, clean and comfortable, with a walk in shower and dressing table. There was a large window, so the room was light and airy in the warm weather. I sometimes struggle to sleep when staying away, but I slept well, as the bed was very comfortable. The room was cleaned on a daily basis with fresh towels. Breakfast was superb with great choice and cooked to order. The young lady serving with dark hair (apologies I cannot remember her name) was so lovely and a real credit to Upper Mount. There is a private car park, with several spaces, so parking was no trouble. The location was ideal for us, close to the castle (we were attending a wedding), shops, restaurants etc, but tucked away, so it was still quiet. We enjoyed our stay so much, that on the morning we were due to leave, we asked if we could stay an extra night. Again, this was no problem and our room was free so we didn't have to move. We couldn't fault our stay and would recommend it to anyone. Other guests seemed happy with their stay too, so the review below doesn't seem a true reflection to me. Great value for money in a central location.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ai1982
Cambridge
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We were very much looking forward to our stay but it did not go well, in fact we felt we had to abandon our break and leave. Upon arrival, the accommodation did not create a particularly favourable impression. The exterior looked a little neglected and there were weeds growing through the paving in many places, as well as slightly flaky paintwork on the front windows . There was nobody there to greet us, but our keys had been stuck on the front door in an envelope. The instruction was that the rooms were to the rear of the hotel, so we walked around to the back, ducking under an empty washing line with pegs on it, and crossing a somewhat neglected looking courtyard as we did so. We found we had been placed in an annexe that in our opinion rather resembled hotels we remembered from the 1970s, with cheap-looking fire doors and, in our view, little architectural charm. We then tried our keys in the external door before working out that we were supposed to access the rooms through the main house. We did so, and were struck by how gloomy they seemed, even on a summer's day; how bleak the outlook appeared to us, and the absence of the kind of architectural distinction promised on the website. In general, we found the rooms somewhat dated and unwelcoming, although to be fair, they seemed spotlessly clean. When I looked in the sitting room in the main house, a lot more trouble had been taken and there were some lovely pieces of furniture, leading me to draw the conclusion that the rooms we had been allocated were of an inferior standard to the rest of the accommodation, even though they had been priced similarly.

Upon attempting to report this to Wayne by phone, in the hope that he would be able to put us in different rooms in the main building as we had expected, he was personally abusive and insulting to me, which I found quite shocking - I travel a lot, I am naturally courteous, and I have never experienced anything like this. Consequently we left. On this basis I do not feel I can recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: I would recommend ensuring that you are in the main building, as the rooms in the annexe do not repr...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank shlg2
uppermountportsmouth, Owner at Upper Mount House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
It is the Upper Mount Policy to have an estimated time of arrival when guests confirm their booking unfortunatley I did not have a time of arrival, having been on hand most of the day I decided to leave Keys while taking a shower this action would allow the guest to have instant access until I returned, having pinned the key to the main entrance door one would think the key would fit that door, but the guests trampled around the building to the rear of the house strange I thought ,and then tried to gain access in the court yard the key was never going to fit.
I was telephoned at around 7pm and the Lady informed me they would not be staying at the Upper mount it just was not what they expected and did not want rooms in an annex with no view but a car park. My reply was on the defence and asked the Lady if her car was parked on the car park , the best solution I agree the Upper mount is not for you take your car away
.I agree the traveller most strange experience for both parties.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights. Wayne was very helpful with regards our connecting with internet , breakfasts were superb! great location- within walking distance to nice bars & restaurants.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We recently stayed at Upper Mount House for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Wayne and Caroline (I think that's the young girls name but apologise if I'm incorrect) were both very friendly, helpful, pleasant and accommodating. The room was big enough and very clean although it had a shower there was a bathroom we could use to bath my youngest It was our first time in Portsmouth and it certainly won't be our last!! The location was great and it was nice and quiet.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stay in Southsea on average once a month. I work locally for a company based down on the south coast so Southsea is a great location for a 1 or 2 night stay over. There's so many nice pubs and restaurants within walking distance and the sea front is not far either by foot. I
have stayed at the Upper Mount now on and off for a few years now and have always been more than happy with the service and food. The hotel is always clean and feels like a home from home Wayne is such a nice chap and nothing is too much trouble. I strongly recommend this hotel which is better value for money than the prices paid at places like the Premier Inn etc..
One final point. The breakfast are fanatsic !!!

Room Tip: Front rooms of the hotel seem bigger , both upstairs and down stairs. Not all rooms have baths. All...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Friendly owner Wayne. Large room, bathroom with shower and bath. Nice house, free parking on own parking place. Very quiet spot, no traffic noise and in the near neighbourhood of restaurants and bars. Enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple