“Poor customer service, food not great”

Las Iguanas - Gunwharf Quays
Ranked #21 of 642 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$6 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Brazilian, South American, Central American
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Poor customer service, food not great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have been many times to a Las Iguanas to different location around the Uk and I've always been satisfied but this was the only time were I have been disappointed for several reasons.
My friends and I arrived there before 7pm so we took advantage of the " happy hour" deal. We ordered different cocktails that were supposed to be with alcohol but instead we have just been served a mix of mango juice and water I guess...For this reason I won't recommend anyone to get fooled with this fake deal because you don't get any alcohol with these cheap "cocktails".
About the food my friends didn't have any complains but I ordered a beef fajitas and I was a bit disappointed because had very few strips of beef which was not tender as it usually is.
The worst part came at the end, just when we wanted to leave and asked for the bill. All of us wanted to pay with debit card and this became a disaster. The helpful waitress tried with different pin pads for 5 or 6 times, but all their machines didn't have any connection. She then asked help to her manager (Pauline) who apparently was busy doing something else...It was getting late and we were all stuck there because we couldn't pay. After 20/30 minutes we really wanted to leave straight away without paying but fortunately the waitress was really kind and in her respect we decided to stay because we didn't want her to pay for our bill.
Finally the manager came to our table to apologise and explained that she had to restart the system of their pin pads and that could take a while...She offered us a shot of something pink that again was just a joke and didn't contained any alcohol. We felt really offended by this in fact we complained again with the waitress who offered us another shot of Sambuca that was finally a real shot!
At the end we were so fed up of that and we all went to the closest ATM and we paid cash!
Terrible experience and I would just suggest Pauline to improve her customer service skills and also to let customer know in advance when they cannot pay by card! that would have been much better!

• Visited August 2014
LasIguanasHQ, Guest Relations Manager at Las Iguanas - Gunwharf Quays, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for letting us know about your most recent experience at Las Iguanas and I'm sorry to hear that despite previous enjoyable visits, on this occasion you didn't enjoy your food and cocktails. Our cocktails are all made to a precise recipe and a cocktail should not ever taste overtly of alcohol- it should be a balance of strong and weak, sweet and sour. Our bar tenders are tested on their freepouring accuracy before each shift and therefore all cocktails should always be to spec and well balanced. If you are ever not happy however please let our bar team know. I am sorry that there appears to have been a problem with our card machines on the night of your visit and am glad to see that the Team did all they could to help while you were waiting by offering complimentary drinks . Obviously , it is extremely frustrating when things go wrong with such things as card machines and I am sorry that you had to wait for such a long time for the problem to be rectified as this is certainly not our usual service standard . I would like to get our Area manager to follow up with you so would you mind sending me your contact number , name and Trip Advisor ID . My email is liz.woods@iguanas.co.uk. Thankyou - Liz - Las Iguanas.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Anniversary/Birthday dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Been here quite a few times now. I love this restaurant. The food is always top notch, a good and varied menu, great cocktails especially when it's 2 for 1 during happy hour (midday - 7:30pm).
I've never had bad service and the price is very reasonable. South American food at its best.

2 Thank Pompeyhornet
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Food was really tasty and service good as well. We ordered shared starter, three main meals and one kid meal came free which was a nice surprise.

1 Thank dawid2
Portsmouth
“Great experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Had a great experience here which wasn't expected for a chain restaurant/bar. The staff were very knowledgable and welcoming to the four of us. The cocktails were lovely, the bartender did advise us on our choices, also very honest about the latest cocktail with chocolate bitters which was not going down very well so far with customers, we took his advice not to try! As we were here during happy hour it was good to try a variety in moderation of course! Otherwise this could work out very expensive.
The 5 tapas we tried were all very tasty and a good portion for two to share. Our waitress Kat was lovely and very attentive.
A wonderful evening and we will definately visit again.

2 Thank J P
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“exceeded expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Picked this restaurant based on trip advisor reviews, as i wanted to find a nice restaurant for my 40th in Gunwharf today.
It exceeded all our expectations! The service was warm and friendly - nothing seemed too much trouble (thanks to a lovely gent called Craig), and the food was wonderful (i personally loved the Xinxim!). The food is exciting with a great mix of flavours including mexican, brazilian and other latin influences, but still had food to please my fussy 7 year old. You can also choose between full meals, sharing platters and tapas. This teemed with a large drinks list including alcoholic and non alcoholic cocktails and luxurious coffees, and some really yummy desserts made for a really special meal for us all with lots of choice. An added bonus was that their food was great value! We all agreed that it was the nicest food we'd eaten at a restaurant in a long while! I'm really pleased that i picked this restaurant - and i can be a right old fussy pants :)!

1 Thank karen s