“Great place for good food !!!”

The Italian Bar & Grill
Ranked #52 of 699 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Italian Bar and Grill. Excellent New York style eaterie - combining a great bar with unfussy but stylish restaurant. The well-travelled patrons know good food - and you can be sure that everything is cooked fresh on the premises. If you can find a better rack of ribs this side of the state then let us know! Good quality, local, non-chain store restaurants can be hard to find. Relax, you've found one.
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I have been to the ibar approximately 10 times over the last 3 months and found that the food is outstanding and value for money !! Me and my partner have worked through most the menu and both agree the chefs are doing a great job. I have read a bunch of reviews and believe people have been too critical, I have not written a review before but think this maybe a better time then any. If people want fast food and quality of that go to a fast food restaurant, if you want to dine with good company and socialise eating great food then this is the place to do so !! Yes service is slow from the moment you arrive and they may forget to give you new cutlery after a course, but if you ask you will receive. You can tell the head chef runs the show and maybe he needs a like minded and dedicated person like himself to take charge of the front of house/service when he is not around, which must be a problem if so many new staff are working all the time. Everyone is entitled to there opinion, but tend to rant and jump on the ban wagon a little too much. This is my opinion which may mean nothing to anyone but I stand by what I have said, if you want to eat great food and value for money this is the place.

2  Thank Nedkellyrn

Reviewed 27 April 2014

After reading the reviews, I was more than a little hesitant, but as we had been invited, we went along. The staff were very accommodating as we were a large party with 8 children aged 16 - 6mths. Service was pretty good, polite and friendly (slightly quick to clear but not too bad. ) we ordered nachos and a sharing platter, all fine except for the chicken wings. They were superb. They tasted exactly how sticky bbq ribs should. The nachos were also really good. They were a but smoky with a good spicy chilli sauce. For mains , pizza, calzone, belly pork and pulled pork burger. All delicious. 17 of us in total and no complaints.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We had a surprise party booked for 28 people here on Easter Sunday and oh my what an amazing time we all had . Food fabulous , staff excellent and pre planning with Steve the owner was second to none. Very helpful and accommodating . We all had an amazing time and would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone as food so good . They accommodated kids too and we all and amazing time . Will defo go back here again and again . Thanks Steve and team for amazing memories .

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am a big fan of Italian food and thought I would try somewhere that is not part of a big chain. I was pleasently surprised to find my Santa Fe pasta to be the best I have had in years. So flavoursome and the pork was lovely and tender. My friend had the BBQ ribs which I tried and have to say I think they are the best in town. So well cooked and a great sized portion. Came with a home made coleslaw corn on the cob and fries which were fresh and hot.

The staff were friendly and I enjoyed the music.

Cant wait to come again and try something else.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

After some consideration about where to go for dinner we decided to give i bar a try and what a let down it was. We certainly won't bother to go there again.
Be warned the food is overpriced and well below average. The starters and mains we had were poorly presented had very little flavour and were much like something you would expect to get in a department store restaurant.
Could give more details about food and ambience but frankly can't really be bothered, will just add tho it was quite cold in there, we "dined" at about 7:30pm and were glad to get outside and warm up when we left.

4  Thank CaptainAmerica2014
Steve N, owner / head chef / manager at The Italian Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

I`ve got to admit I do take first time reviewers with a pinch of salt as they don`t have the credibility of those who post balanced & informative reviews on a regular basis.
As you said yourself, you `couldn`t really be bothered` to give any details.
But it does seem that we do have a problem with consistency & there have been a couple of unhappy customers in the last 3 weeks, though to put that into perspective we have had about 1000 customers in that time.
If anyone is unhappy with any aspect of their meal they should tell one of the staff straight away & let us rectify the problem I don`t understand why someone would wait until they got home before plucking up the `courage` to write an anonymous review??
Again I`m sorry if you did not enjoy your meal but I can`t do anything about now from in front of this keyboard, I can only try even harder to cut out these rare mistakes.