“2 visits in 4 days”

Ranked #67 of 655 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Italian Bar and Grill. Excellent New York style eaterie - combining a great bar with unfussy but stylish restaurant. The well-travelled patrons know good food - and you can be sure that everything is cooked fresh on the premises. If you can find a better rack of ribs this side of the state then let us know! Good quality, local, non-chain store restaurants can be hard to find. Relax, you've found one.
Llanelli, UK
“2 visits in 4 days”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I ate here twice in 4 days and both times we had excellent meals. There's a good varied menu and nothing we had was below par, starters, mains or desserts.
There was a problem with the card machine on my second visit which they couldn't rectify. I had enough cash on me though, only just. They did knock a few quid off the bill for the inconvenience.
I will return if in the area again.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We were looking forward to a great night out on the first day of our holiday. Our table was booked for 7pm on a Sunday evening and we were not warned of a long wait when we ordered. We waited quite a while for the starters but they were fine when they arrived. By the time the main course arrived the kitchen seemed to have lost interest. My pasta was undercooked and my husband's pizza was, I suspect, warmed up after being prepared by mistake for a neighbouring table. It was not far off burnt. We should have complained but we'd lost the will to do so by then. Some of the service was pretty surly too.

5 Thank Elizabeth J
Steve N, owner / head chef / manager at The Italian Bar & Grill, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
At first glance I thought this was just a made up review, as after talking to the staff, checking the diary & looking back at my CCTV footage, we didn`t even have a booking of 2 on Sunday night (nor do we serve burnt pizzas)

We had a booking of 6 at 6.30, a couple of bookings of 4 at 8.00 & a few `walk-ins` but the only table of 2 that came in didn`t have pizza or pasta (they had ribeye steak & salmon if you want to see the receipts) I also checked the Sunday before just to be thorough.

I can only conclude that these people must have eaten at the other Italian restaurant around the corner & posted this review by mistake - if not then maybe it was even posted by the other italian restaurant around the corner~??

Either way I won`t be loosing any sleep over it & I recommend anybody else reading the `review` to take it with a very large pinch of salt

Steve
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Tasty, inexpensive, Italian”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

Visited for the first time with friends and enjoyed a lovely meal. The staff accommodated us even though we turned up after the kitchen had closed and remained well past their advertised closing time - excellent service not to turn us away! The menu is varied with plenty of well loved Italian choices. Bruschetta starter as well as Asparagus & Parm Ham were delicious. The Calzone mains were huge, great value and packed full of toppings, although a little less Jalapeño would be advisable in the Santa Fe Calzone. All in all a good value and tasty meal.

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Thank you trip-advisor”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We only had one night in Southsea so wanted somewhere relaxed with good food, after reading through trip advisor I rang the Italian bar & grill. There was six of and my grandson (4), the young lady on the phone was very helpful and advised booking, lucky we did it was busy.

Relaxed was an understatement, the ambience was excellent, the background music (swing) was a good selection, the staff were professional, helpful and attentive, but not in your face. The food was excellent everything bodies meals (starters and mains) was spot on, even my grandson ate all his pizza, all lovely end to a fun packed day.

Not sure when we will be back in Southsea again, but I hope this restaurant is still there.

Bude, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best in Portsmouth”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have been here a number of times. I have to say it's one of the best restaurants in Portsmouth and can't recommend it enough. Great wine (house red), great food and the best cheese cake ever(if you can find a better cheese cake I want to know). If you are in no rush and want a relaxing evening and a stroll to the seafront after this is the place to head.

1 Thank OliverHe