“Budget by name...”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #23 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at the Ibis in Portsmouth with my husband last Saturday night. The rooms are basic but clean. The bed is firm and a reasonable size for two people - a thick duvet meant we were warm on a very cold night. The bathroom is tiny - but plenty of hot water and everything worked OK.
The breakfast was pretty basic too - the hot food looked inedible so I stuck to yoghurt, fruit and croissant. Perfectly acceptable.
I have stayed in better Ibis Hotels but this was perfectly OK as an overnight stop where you don't intend to unpack.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors in summer to or the side away from the Guildhall Walk where there are lots...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank midasfriend
ibisportsmouth, Assistant Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2012

Dear Midasfriend,

Thank you very much for your review.

I would like to apologise for your breakfast experience. I assure you this is atypical of our hotel and I will discuss your feedback with our food & beverage team to prevent future occurrence.
Furthermore I am delighted to read all positive points.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis and better meet your expectations in the future.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

We stayed here on Saturday and got the room on offer on booking.com as we booked 21 days in advance.
Found it really easily and went through into the carpark. save the ticket then you pay £6 for 24hr parking. This is very helpfull as Gunwharf Quays is 3hrs = £3.90!!!!!
We checked in quickly and found our rooms was small but clean and fairly new-looking.
Bathroom is very small but it had all you need inside!
Bed was good, TV was working, cupboards had space, didnt hear much noise and we had a pretty good sleep!
Carpet was a bit tired but that doesnt effect anything!
it is about 10min walk to Gunwharf and all the restaurants etc, we found the hotel to be in a really good location! A taxi over to Southsea cost £6 which was an absolute bargain for a city.
Staff were friendly and everything went smoothly!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ruthjaneh01

Dear Ruthjaneh01,

Thank you very much for your complimentary review.

I am pleased to read your comment regarding car park. Having car park on site and price itself is indeed one of the benefits we offer to our guests.
Moreover I agree that our location is great for hitting the historical sites, shopping and dining in Portsmouth.

Thank you again for taking time to share your experience. We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon to Ibis Portsmouth Centre.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Spent two nights here. Small, but nice room. Very quiet at night. The breakfast was good as well, lots of vegan options. Nice fruit salad. Very nice personnel. Recommended.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 1st floor. Not sure about other rooms, but I assume the top rooms would be even...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jerry V
ibisportsmouth, Assistant Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear Jerry V

Thank you very much for your feedback.

It is a great reward for all of us to see that you enjoyed staying with us. I will certainly share your comments with our team. Such a feedback only motivates our staff to excel.

We hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed 21 December 2011

Not the biggest rooms in the world especially the bathroom - barely room to turn around. Although good access to the Guildhall and Gunwharf Quays so good value if you want to a stop over for shopping or for a do in the city.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank georgiegirl7

Dear Georgiegirl7

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Portsmouth Centre.
I am glad that our location suited your traveler plans & I hope you also enjoyed other aspects of your stay.

Thank you again for your feedback. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

We stayed here for one night while attending a friends wedding. Plenty of space in the car park (there's a £4 charge for this but that's not bad for a fenced and gated car park in a city centre).

Check in was quick and efficient, avoiding peak booking in time around mid-day helped a bit I think.

The room was as expected (We have stayed here before) The bed is basic but comfortable enough, two pillows are standard with one extra stored in the "wardrobe" The bathroom is a small one but everything worked so no complaints there.

Unfortunately the design of the corridors does mean that people's voices carry so if inconsiderate guests decide to talk loudly outside their rooms it does carry easily but earplugs do cancel this out. On this visit there was no noise from outside the hotel but Portsmouth being a lively city and the hotel being just off the Guildhall it should be expected and prepared for if staying at the Ibis (earplugs are a permanent fixture in my overnight bag)

Overall, it's advertised as a budget city centre hotel and that is what it is. If you want four star you need to pay for four star.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Swifty137

Thank you for taking time to post your comment following your recent stay.

It is always pleasure to receive such a feedback such as yours. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and all our effort has been appreciated.

I hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the last.

A TripAdvisor Member
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

hotel staff friendly,room clean, very neat bathroom /shower,food tasty but took a long time to arrive! Slept well,good buffet breakfast,very fast checkout.There needs to be clearer guidance as to where exactly the hotel is-if there were any signs on the sreets I did not manage to see them in the pitch black and pouring rain! Was fortunate to finally locate hotel,after going as far as Southsea.There also needs to be some guidance as to whether there are any spaces left in hotel's own car park-this not offered by staff on duty. However once sttled in, I was very pleased with hotel and service.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
ibisportsmouth, Assistant General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2011

Dear Traveller

Thank you for taking time to share your experience.

I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed your stay and I will certainly pass on your comments to my team. I know that they will be delighted to learn that their efforts have been appreciated and remembered

Furthermore I appreciate your comments about road signing & car park. We will certainly look for possible improvements.

I hope will join us again soon and it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Yours sincerely

Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 5 December 2011

we checked in to this hotel on a week end. reception staff seems to be busy and not enough staff to serve the people. my sympathies for the staff as they were trying their best to deal with ,(spanish guy in the reception remarkably a star)but its not fair to have few staff to serve all the guests.couldnt see any of them like their job. Lobby area is nice but the rooms are small with a tiny wash room.
Management was not present . please have enough staff .so much noise on corridors early hours in the morning. should except what you pays. Have stat at Ibis hotels before , but this hotel seems to be terrible. who ever the manager or responsible, please do open eyes and use your brains.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business