“Compact and bijou!”

Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Milton Keynes
“Compact and bijou!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We stayed for two nights, we had a room on the 4th floor. The rooms are very compact, but you are only really sleeping in them so its not a big issue. The Hotel is centrally located to Portsmouth City Centre, close to shops and the train station.

The bathroom is very small, you struggle in the shower and using the toilet is an experience in itself, if you are tall like my husband and I, your knees will touch the wall when you are in a sitting position. The bathroom is too small to dry yourself in and you need to step out into the bedroom.

One receptionist was very helpful as we had lost our mobile and keys, she went out of her way to help us. This is more than can be said for the French Receptionist who came up to our room as we could not work our remote control to turn the radio on..... she treated us like we were a couple of idiots..... I am sorry but if a remote has music and a menu on them and I press them, I expect them to do what it says on there.. APPRAENTLY NOT!! you need to press the TV button... Sorry, we should have known that.

The breakfast was good, plentiful, help yourself, buffet style - the hotel has had a face lift since I last visited.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear guests,

thank you very much for taking a minute of your time and write this review about your stay with us. It is a pleasure to see that, apart from a couple of issues, you had a nice stay.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you again very soon.

Thank you again for your comments.

Assistant General Manager
Ibis Portsmouth Centre hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
Paignton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The bedroom was fine and quiet, but the bathroom is too small. The 'restaurant' area is awful and exposed being right at the reception/front door area. Food was only okay and the breakfast room eating area was like being back at school. Had to pay extra for parking. Good central location. Poor value for money and I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking a minute of your time and write this review about your stay in our hotel.

I am pretty sure that your stay took place at the same time than the refurbishment works that we were carrying out in October. All these works have now finished, and you will be able to enjoy a brand new breakfast, dinning and public area during your next visit.

I will be looking forward to hearing from you again soon.

Assistant Manager
Ibis Portsmouth hotel

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

The room was clean, comfortable and although yes the bathrooms are small, space is at a premium in a hotel like this. Don't expect 5* it is exactly what it advertises as, a cheap but good hotel. I went for two nights with my girlfriend as a trip to visit the city, it's very central most places you would wish to see in Portsmouth are walking distance from the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking time to write this review about your stay with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed it.

We always appreciate to receive such a constructive feedback.

I will be looking forward to hearing again from you soon.

Assistant General Manager
Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Surrey, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This hotel was designed for midgets .the rooms are extremely small the closet was non existent . The bathroom was so small you had no room to sit on the toilet properly and it was very difficult to bend over in shower to wash your feet .terrible value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ibisportsmouth, General Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Dear Guests,
Many thanks for taking the time to write your comments about your last stay with us. I am really sorry to read that this was not to your expectations. Pelase accept my apologies for inconveniences you experienced due to the size of the bedroom.
Kindest regards
Wells, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I was disappointed with my experience at this hotel from the very first contact with staff. I parked out side and went in to find out about parking arrangements where I found notices on the check in counter saying that the car park was full. I asked the young lady on the desk where should I park and was told 'on the meters'. When I asked where they were she just gestured and said 'outside'. She could not have been less helpful or friendly and I felt I had received the equivalent of 'the Gallic shrug'. So I went 'outside' and found the meters £10 for 24hrs. What I also found though was the Uni car park which is open to all and is £2 per day - bargain. It would have been nice to have been told this by reception as surely they should know these things for their 'guests' convenience. So we went to our room (only one card key and no smiles) to find what is more akin to a prison cell than a hotel room. Tiny, cramped with bed against the wall so impossible to get out without climbing over partner, harsh lighting (or complete darkness), unbelievably small bathroom. I asked reception if they had a better room and was flatly told they were all the same? We were there to run the 'Great South Run' and were going to stay the night after the race but decided against it and to go home even though we had paid for two nights. When we checked out the staff were the same - unfriendly. No one asked how our stay had been or why we were checking out early and I couldn't be bothered to take it up with them as it would have been a complete waste of my time and effort. I would, under no circumstances, stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The best rooms are not in this hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your feedbacks about your recent stay in ibis Portsmouth. I am sorry to read that this was not up to your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies for this.
Kind regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

On arrival checkin was easy although 6 pounds a day for car park reception bar looks great and staff polite but mainly foreign !

Room was disappointing was supposed to being a triple room thought was very cramped and bathroom shower room very small but all clean

Bar prices very reasonable !!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guests,
Thank you so much for these nice comments about our preperty. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very shorthly.
Best regards
Swindon, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Me and a friend stayed here for on night on Thursday 31st October. The rooms are smaller than you might expect but clean and functional.

A little bit of lift noise late and night and a few people shouting outside our room at 3am. Nothing the hotel can really do about this, it settled down quickly.

The bar is nice with a pool table.

Would be nice if breakfast was included in the room rate.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Try and get a room round the back at weekends. Noise from the clubs and pubs round the front may ke...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay in Ibis Portsmouth.
kindest regards