“Refurbished rooms and friendly staff”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #20 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
UK
“Refurbished rooms and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2009

Despite the mixed reviews I booked the Ibis for a business trip and found it perfectly satisfactory. The rooms are being refurbished and mine was recently painted and recarpeted, very clean and although not exactly high-spec, it met my needs for an overnight stay.

The staff were all extremely helpful, providing maps and directions as well as helping me out with parking when the car park was full.

I had no problem with collecting extra pillows from reception!

The buffet breakfast was fine - a selection of cold meats and cheeses, hard boiled eggs, all sorts of preserves, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, fruit juices, hot drinks, baguettes, pastries and bread for toasting.

Very well located for a stroll along to Gunwharf Quays shopping outlet and for the city centre. All well lit around the area too.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
IBIS_HOTEL, MANAGER at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this review, 25 March 2009
Dear Boglin_Sue,

Thank you for your comments.

I am always very pleased to see that the Guests enjoy staying with us. I am also glad that you were satisfied with the customer service provided in the hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
mysofawithlaptopville
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2009

Stayed here for a weekend and wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

The positives first: Cheap, walking distance to train station, city centre, gunyard wharf and the dockyard. Handy Bus stop right outside the hotel if you want to get about without a car. Good choice of in-room movies.

The negatives: Room was crap. Possibly the smallest i have ever been in, with definetely the smallest bathroom. For someone big or tall it wouldn't be a comfortable experience. The shower basin that filled up with water enabling us to briefly recreate scenes from titanic was a nice touch! Beware of the porthole shaped bathroom window that gives office workers a nice view during their coffee break!

The bed was also easily the most uncomfortable i have ever experienced in any hotel. it was bad to the point where getting up early was the favoured option, a bit like sleeping on a giant breeze block. Refurbishment taking place or not there really is no excuse for any hotel with nasty beds. Due to its size the room was also very stuffy, even in february and though not the fault of the hotel it's placed right next to Portsmouth Uni's student union. If you open the windows at night dont expect a quiet one!

Our room was made up for one which is a nice touch when your staying as Husband and wife .We had to go begging for extra towels and pillows both nights which they conveniently keep in a big cupboard by reception, very Stelois indeed. We booked online which fair enough was a cheap deal with free films and internet thrown in. We did however have to ask how to access it which is a godsend if you like watching french tv! The weekend we stayed there, there were lots of young people about for either university sports or a weekend on the beer. No problem with that in principle but slightly more of an issue when your treated to the glorious sounds of an unleashed fire extinguisher about 1am. God save the queen!

Other things to note: the hallways smelt of either vomit or urine and the housekeeping girls make zero effort not to wake everyone anyone up as the do their rounds, literally shouting down corridoors to one another. Cheers girls.

The boottom line: Stay elsewhere unless your a hard-up student.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daisywoo
Dear Daisywoo,
Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I can assure you that I have considered carefully your comments and that action has been taken to avoid similar problems in the future.

I am happy to inform you that our hotel will be fully refurbished by the end of May. Therefore, hopefully when you book with us again you will be able to experience more enjoyable stay. I can assure you that all my staff and myself are staying at your disposal.

Yours Sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2008

Stayed here early November, we were due to travel to a Hotel in London to but arrived in Porthsmouth too late on a delayed Ferry from Bilbao Spain.

Other reviewers who write about this Hotel are correct, the location is great, the price is good, the rooms are small, the Bathroom is not quite a bathroom, however, these things are minor on a short stop but when you factor that with bad staff, service and poor customer relations, forget it, try a B&B !! Plenty to choose from in the area.

P.S Make sure you check the room on arrival and report anything wrong with it, no matter how small, you could be charged for damage you did not do, this says something about the type of guest that frequents this establishment. Suprised Accor (the Hotel group in which Ibis belogs) hasn't steped in to help sort this "HOTEL" out, it needs a Managment shake up.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff and Management
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gl0w0rm
Larne, Northern Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

I was switched to this hotel from the Portsmouth Etap which had not opened for business (I only got the phone call and email on the afternoon of my arrival).

They kindly honoured the Etap rate, including breakfast.

For the price I paid the room and hotel were ok but it wasn't the best Ibis I've stayed in and I would have been disappointed had I paid normal Ibis prices. Refurbishment is taking place and I presume my room hadn't yet been done. The bathroom in particular was weak with it being small and the water just seemed to flow everywhere when I took a shower.

I was also disappointed with the breakfast selection which was worth the Etap £2.95 I paid but not the £5.50 Ibis price with no hot selections. You are really pretty limited to serial, a croissant with ham and yoghurt.

On the positive side the hotel is very close to the railway station and the centre of Portsmouth (pity the Ibis map is very confusing and sent me in the wrong direction initially).

At £38 for the night and travelling on my own it was ok, but definitely not up to the normal Ibis standards.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Poor bathroom/breakfast
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank GAndrews
Bedfordshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ibis Portsmouth for one night (thankfully) when we were visiting friends.

On returning to the hotel after a night out and sitting in the bar having a night cap, it became very clear that it prostitutes were bringing punters back and using some of the rooms. The reception staff were clearly in on it as they did not bat an eyelid.

I used the ladies in the reception area, only to find a homeless Geordie girl, who had been evicted from her room in the hotel for non payment (she told me this) had moved in. The contents of her cases was all over the place and she was basically using these amenities as her base.

During the night there were all sorts of noisy comings and goings in the corridor (probably the prostitutes) so we got little sleep. When we packed in the morning, I checked between the beds (we weren't even given a double bed!) to ensure we had not left anything behind and it was filthy. And I mean filthy - an assortment of body hair, dust and finger or toe nail clippings.

This stay ruined the whole weekend. Next time we visit we shall be staying at the Sailors Rest as my husband is ex RN. A far better class of establishment.

Stayed February 2008
2 Thank onenortherndelight
Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2008

Stayed at this hotel for one night over the weekend with some friends. As previous reviews have stated the hotel is in a good location for most of Portsmouth shopping and evening entertainment.

Rooms and bathrooms are on the small side but clean.

I personally would prefer to stay at a Premier Inn if space is available for similar money.

Check in and Check out seemed a very drawn our process but no problem with the staff just the procedure.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
Hartington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2008

I stayed at this hotel during October for a business trip to the Isle of Wight. The location of the hotel is nice and central and within walking distance of most of the major attractions of Portsmouth. It is also close to the Gunwharf Keys for ferry connections.
This hotel is definatley suited for the overnight or business traveller rather than families or use as a "holiday" hotel. I had no problems with checking in and the staff were friendly.
As mentioned in previous reviews, yes, the rooms are small but they are fine for a single nights stay. It's typical IBIS style.
Breakfast was continental, which is fine by me, if you want a cooked in fat breakfast then go to somewhere else.
Not much else to say really, i had a decent nights sleep (extra pillows were in the bedroom) and managed to fit in the shower so no problems there!

• Liked — Location to Gunwharf Keys
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)