“Always fine by me!”

Ibis Portsmouth Centre
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I have stayed at the Ibis on numerous occasions as I visit my sister and family in Portsmouth. There are some reviews that say fairly negative things about this city centre hotel but in my experience I find it a good hotel with excellent staff.

The rooms are not huge, they are however clean and have everything you need for a short break. The bathrooms are compact but unless you want to line dance in the bathroom then again this is adequate for a short stay.

It is close to all area's of the city, a taxi is easy to call from the hotel and most shops etc, as well as the main train station is very close by. There is a Spar shop a few minutes away for bottled water or the odd thing you may need.

Breakfast is always excellent and plentiful. I have stayed in far more expensive hotels and not had such a great breakfast. The cafe/bar is good for a snack, staff are happy to arrange a sandwich or food and you can take it to your room no problems.

Don't expect a view, if you want a view then pay more and stay at Southsea but end up spending money on taxi's to the city centre.

I travel to many places and dont always leave reviews but on reading a few negative ones today about the Ibis, I wanted to offer my own perspective.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank bessieb
IBIS_HOTEL, Hotel Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your very positive feedback.

I am glad to see that you describe the staff at Ibis Portsmouth as 'excellent' and that you are satisfied with the room cleanliness, our location and breakfast offer.

I hope to welcome you back at Ibis Portsmouth soon.

There are newer reviews for Ibis Portsmouth Centre

Reviewed 3 August 2009

Rooms were small but we only needed it to sleep in so wasn't a big problem. The bathroom was VERY small. It was clean and the road outside wasn't very noisy from the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. I am very plesed to see that despite the bedroom size, you found it clean and that your stay was enjoyable.

Reviewed 26 July 2009

The room for this type of 'budget' hotel was not cheap at £90 per night (without breakfast £5.50) Breakfast itself looked a very basic continental affair - The nearby Cafe Parisien was a very popular alternative breakfast choice.

So to the room it smelt of damp amd was a very cramped basic affair. The bathroom was the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel infact it was too cramped to use. There were cigarette burns of the windowsill of the no smoking room I stayed in. The expensive wifi (another £10 per night) was too slow and impossible to use. The room was overlooked by an office building so you felt you had to have the curtains permanently closed. The hotel is on a busy and noisy main road.

On the positive side the hotel staff were very friendly and very hospitable although this would not compensate for the other short comings of this over priced 2 star budget hotel.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Ibis Portsmouth.

I am sorry to learn that you found the standard of the room unsatisfactory . I can guarantee that we have takenn all the neseccary measures in order to eliminate reported problems.

I would like to take this opportunity to explain that the rate of £90 is our event rate. Therefore it is applied only on certain dates during the year is higher than our standard prices.

Reviewed 4 May 2009

Spent two nights in this hotel. The rooms are smaller than you would usually find in most hotels and as stated by other reviewers the shower room/toilet was very compact ,so no good for a romantic tryst with a partner! I`m not sure what type of view the occupants in the university building opposite have into your bathroom through the porthole type window? Having said that I enjoyed my brief stay at this hotel. The staff were very nice,both behind the bar,reception as well as domestic.The room was very clean and on the weekend that I was there were no problems with noisey guests. The hotel location is very good for shopping,either in the old er part of town or the newer Gun Wharf ,which you could easily walk to in 15 minutes or catch a bus that stops right outside the hotel.The railway station.was only a 10 minute walk .
Despite the front of the hotel being on a busy road and in the student area of town I found that the noise was not noticable once your window was closed.
If you do not want to use the hotel for breakfast there is a Spar supermarket next door open from 7 til midnight everyday as well as a Greggs and Subway nearby.
I would be happy to recommend this hotel to anyone, pointing out about the room size/shower room.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank BristolRoy
IBIS_HOTEL, HOTEL MANAGER at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2009

Dear BristolRoy 3,

Thank you for your comments.

I am pleased to see that you were truly satisfied with both the customer service delivered to you during your 2-night stay with us as well as with the cleanliness of the hotel and its very central location.

Your comment is very important for us. Therefore, I would like to inform you that our bathroom windows which you were concerned about, will be shortly film-covered so that there will be no visibility from the outside.

I hope to welcome you back in Ibis Portsmouth.

Kind Regards,

Joanna Torbus

Reviewed 1 May 2009

Booked the IBIS purely on price - £45 - and for that it is really good value! Some of the reviews below might make you think this is a dive - but it's not, it's just a budget hotel.

Portsmouth is hardly bestowed with great hotel choices anyway, and most of the B&B's look pre-war in quality standards. The Ibis has a good location, between new and old Portsmouth, and a 10 minute walk from the nice Gunwharf keys shopping/entertainment area.

Problems? Well if you want a plush, quiet hotel - this isn't it. It's cheap, and well located for pubs - so there are a fair share of young drinking parties here; it's also in the university area so can be noisy until early in the morning. I'm not sure where the 'prostitute' stuff below was got from, but we didn't see anything worrying.

The rooms are very small, and the bathroom should be an award on how they've crammed anything into such a small space! Cleaning could be alot better - it didn't look like our place had been hoovered in weeks. But the rooms are functional and great value for money in the UK. Close enough to the cross-channel ferry for an easy half-hour walk.

Overall - good value for money, staff could clean better, and the builders need to stop smoking inside!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gordonl

Dear Gordonl 26,

Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry to see that you do not consider our hotel as quiet and that you found the rooms too small and not very clean. I would like to invite you to share your comments with Receptionist on duty in case of the noise disturbance at any Ibis Hotel. I am sure that the problem will be eliminated as quickly as possible making the rest of your stay more enjoyable. I also shared your comments with Head Housekeeper who made sure that our cleanliness standards are constantly in place.

I am pleased to readt that you enjoyed our central location and that you think our rooms and services are good value for money.

I hope we will have opportunity to welcome you back in Ibis Hotel.

Kind Regards,

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 12 April 2009

Ibis portsmouth, its right at the end of the high street but close enough to be walkable. I stayed here before taking the ferry to Spain. no problems with it at all,, a typical ibis, all in all a nice place.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Cathaycaptain
mallox, Hotel Manager at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2009

Dear Cathaycaptain,

Thank you for your positive review.
I hope that we will be able to welcome you back at Ibis Portsmoth very soon.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 11 March 2009

Despite the mixed reviews I booked the Ibis for a business trip and found it perfectly satisfactory. The rooms are being refurbished and mine was recently painted and recarpeted, very clean and although not exactly high-spec, it met my needs for an overnight stay.

The staff were all extremely helpful, providing maps and directions as well as helping me out with parking when the car park was full.

I had no problem with collecting extra pillows from reception!

The buffet breakfast was fine - a selection of cold meats and cheeses, hard boiled eggs, all sorts of preserves, fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, fruit juices, hot drinks, baguettes, pastries and bread for toasting.

Very well located for a stroll along to Gunwharf Quays shopping outlet and for the city centre. All well lit around the area too.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
IBIS_HOTEL, MANAGER at Ibis Portsmouth Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2009

Dear Boglin_Sue,

Thank you for your comments.

I am always very pleased to see that the Guests enjoy staying with us. I am also glad that you were satisfied with the customer service provided in the hotel.

We look forward to welcome you again.

Hotel Manager.