“No thank you”

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Public areas fine, staff friendly and efficient. Bathroom large and OK, if a bit glary from the large flurescent fitting. Room horrible.
Up on the top floor, ex servants quarters, very faded, grubby window and frame. But worst was the heat. No aircon, the weather was lovely and the heat came through the roof. Finally this hotel is right opposite the pier, fine except that this is the meeting place for the local yobs, at 2 to 3 am, they are noisy and I had the windows wide open. I don't think I slept the whole time I was there. I was due to stay 3 nights, I stayed 2, made my excuses and left.

Room Tip: Room at the back (looking at the car park), not top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank 86denniss
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Thank you for your comments re staff and service, with regard you other comments had the Management been aware of them, a room move etc to a larger or quieter room would have been arranged, as the guest information pack states if you are unhappy with anything let us know, we are here to provide a quality servce to our guests if you are not receiving that please say so at the time..

Write a ReviewReviews (1,378)

Reviewed 19 August 2011

Some would say this is an old fashioned hotel. Others, like me would say it just has traditional values. There are reasons why older people stay in certain places and generally it's because they know they're going to feel like a respected guest. And that's the feeling that this hotel provides. At 45 I don't consider myself particularly old, but I did appreicate being valued as a guest.

I had a superior sea view room which had a pleasant feel to it and I alway love to sit by a large window and people watch/look at the sea. This was a great location for that.

I ate in the restautant and had a very enjoyable meal that was included in the price of my dinner B&B rate. There was loads of choice, including a buffet carvery, but I went for the a la carte and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the fresh sardines I had for my starter and my veal and roasted veg was so tasty. I even added a dessert to my experience and if felt rude not to! The wine selection is not bad and reasonably priced for a hotel too.

My only gripe was that I booked this hotel via their website and I was given the option to book a smoking room by the website. When I arrived I was told the hotel was non-smoking through-out and had been so since January. I was miffed, because their website had been out of date for months and given that I had only book a week or two before my visit I felt justified in making this point. The manager I spoke to had her hands tied on the issue but she did her best and I respected her for visiting my room to discuss my point - which she agreed was more than valid - face to face. If I could smoke I'd stay here again but until there are no smoking rooms left in the whole of the south coast, I won't. Purely because I think it's awful that smokers are not given the freedom to choose to smoke in a room that they are paying for. Not everyone is a non-smoker and it would not harm hotels to offer a few smoking rooms to those of us who do like a puff - particularly when we're loan travellers with no one to sit out side and freeze with. It's hard the biggest crime in the world but hotels are doing a good job of making us feel like it is. A sense of perspective would be nice.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Booked for a three night stay with my mum and our two tiny yorkshire terriers. The room was large, beautiful bay window over looking the solent. It was beautifully clean with white bed linen, all the other furniture, wall paper, curtains and pictures were colour coordinated to give a warm calm feel to the room. All the hotel was clean, cleaners were working from very early polishing the brass rails at the front of the hotel and sweeping up the steps and drive way. Breakfast was served in the lovely cool dining room overlooking the solent. Breakfast consisted of a large choice of cereal *(my favorite was the american nutty selection) ice cold milk, choice of fresh fruit, yogurts, seven types of fruit juice. Large selection of the full english breakfast. The bar meals in the evening were large but well presented. My mum has a small apetite so we split the evening meal between the two of us after the first night the hotel served up one meal on two plates for us. Nothing was two much trouble for them. The hotel was situated by the lake, very shot distance to the promanade and the sea, not to far to wander to the castle and the shops. The stay proved to be one of the most enjoyable times in a hotel. Definately would go back. Only two minor points, car park was not large but if you were good at driving could negociate finding spaces. secondary double glazing had a habit of trapping fingers.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thank you for those excellent comments thay are much appreciated and I will pass them on to the Team

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I had a wonderful view of the pier and the ocean, my room had windows on almost three sides, old sweeping veranda outside the windows. The inside let you feel the grandure of days gone by. Great old panaling and lighting. The only downside was it was like a retirement home. everyone from the bellman and clerks and every guest besides oursleves were over 80. There is nothing to do close by. With a short car trip there is much to visit, but unless you want to stay in your room and take your teeth out, this is not the place.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2011

I recently stayed here for a short trip with my grandfather who was returning having been posted near-by in 1942 during the war. We found the twin room very comfortable with plenty of room. The only issue we had was that the shower was difficult to use as it was attached to an inwardly sloping wall. It wasn't too bad for me but grandad's 88 years old and struggled a bit. Having said that we should really have asked for a more suitable shower facility so we can't blame the hotel. Staff were helpful, especially the man who was looking after breakfast. A little far out from Portsmouth but the bus service is good. Over all we were pleased with our stay!

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 6 August 2011

booked as last minute trip away. rooms clean - one with wonderful seaview and big comfy bed; the twin room clean (unfortunately had view of car park but plasma tv made up for that!). both bathrooms were clean. the staff were helpful. the breakfast was lovely and staff attentive.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed here whilst working away and found it clean and quite comfortable. The car park is very small if you turn up in a van, although i accept that most people dont use a van as primary transport. The bar and restaurant are pleasant in a 1960's theme ( or are they just from the 60s?). My only moan is the dozy barmaid who looked at me 3 or 4 times stood at the bar without a drink before serving me and when i asked for a glenmorangie she didnt know what it was and tried serving it in a half pint pot, she may be new to the job so benefit of the doubt this time. The rooms are spacious but very hot in this fine weather. Breakfast was ok quality wise and good in the selection of food avaliable. All in all a good hotel for a night.

• Stayed: August 2010