“Friendly staff but ineffective at times”

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Worcestershire
“Friendly staff but ineffective at times”
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Good location and our room was above expectations.
Unfortunatly it had a purveying smell of fish.
On arrival a car was parked at the front of the hotel stopping others from getting easliy to the car park at the rear. Reception said there was nothing they could do about it and suggested the other way into the car park which required a further half mile detour around the hotel.
The car park is small and could be problem for larger cars as the bays were too short.
Breakfast was an excellent buffet style with a good choice, but there was always something missing from the table that one had to ask for!
A great idea was having a water cooler on each floor. Shame when notifying a member of staff that it was empty a further two days elapsed and it still wasn't changed.
Very friendly staff but unfortunately ineffective.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank oldandnackered
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Thank you for your comments which will be passed to the relevant departments, sometimes water delivery is eratic and during the summer months consumption can exceed supply and storage, thank you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
xx
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed here for a wedding this weekend the facilities for the wedding fantastic but generally ok for the rest of hotel rooms small, bed un comfy. good location on beach front and opposite arcade. staff friendly and helpful

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Thank you for your comments re service and Staff they are appreciated, with regard to your sleep quality, we are replacing beds on a rolling programme and over 80 of the rooms now have new beds along with new carpets and flat screen free view televisions i am sorry that you may have had an older style bed which caused discomfort.
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed here after a very choppy ferry crossing. The receptionist was very helpful and offered help with our luggage and if we would like anything from the bar. Thefamily room was fantastic, one very big double bed and three single beds for small children. Lots of towels, biscuits and space for five people. Hotel still needs more updating , but everything was very clean. Breakfast was fantastic everything you could want after a comfortable nights sleep.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for such positive comments I will pass them on to all of the team.
London
Reviewed 3 September 2011

Stayed here one night with my wife and young daughter on the way to France. All we really wanted was a place to park and a good nights sleep. It wasn't too much to ask. Unfortunately the on-site parking insofar as it goes was nowhere near adequate. The car park was small and we were told it was first come first served. If we'd known they could not guarantee guest parking we would have found somewhere else to stay. There was also a late night dance party on the pier opposite which led to lots of noise as party-goers made there way home. That put paid to the good night's sleep which we had been hoping for! To add insult to injury I have just received a parking fine for entering the car park in the morning as we loaded up our car having checked out. Why do they think someone would go into their car park at an ungodly hour on a Saturday and leave 20 minutes later? Naturally, I won't be paying the fine or returning to the Royal Beach. One last thing.. the hotel good do with a lick of paint and is looking a bit shabby much like the rest of Southsea.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review following your visit, with regard the three issues you have raised, the car park is to small for the hotel size but we as a management do try our best to help all guests with surrounding parking facilities, parking eye manages the issuing of tickets to non car registered people and as you were not able to park on the night you stayed so therefore did not give us your car registration you received a ticket, if you contact the hotel directly with your details we will ensure this is cancelled, finally the pier do operate student nights on some weekend nights and we are in contact with the council at present to try to curtail some of the late night noise some guests have experienced, The hotels exterior is being fully repainted November through to Feb / March which involves scaffolding to the building, as a result of being full throughout the summer we have been unable to start work any sooner.
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Public areas fine, staff friendly and efficient. Bathroom large and OK, if a bit glary from the large flurescent fitting. Room horrible.
Up on the top floor, ex servants quarters, very faded, grubby window and frame. But worst was the heat. No aircon, the weather was lovely and the heat came through the roof. Finally this hotel is right opposite the pier, fine except that this is the meeting place for the local yobs, at 2 to 3 am, they are noisy and I had the windows wide open. I don't think I slept the whole time I was there. I was due to stay 3 nights, I stayed 2, made my excuses and left.

Room Tip: Room at the back (looking at the car park), not top floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank 86denniss
Thank you for your comments re staff and service, with regard you other comments had the Management been aware of them, a room move etc to a larger or quieter room would have been arranged, as the guest information pack states if you are unhappy with anything let us know, we are here to provide a quality servce to our guests if you are not receiving that please say so at the time..
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Some would say this is an old fashioned hotel. Others, like me would say it just has traditional values. There are reasons why older people stay in certain places and generally it's because they know they're going to feel like a respected guest. And that's the feeling that this hotel provides. At 45 I don't consider myself particularly old, but I did appreicate being valued as a guest.

I had a superior sea view room which had a pleasant feel to it and I alway love to sit by a large window and people watch/look at the sea. This was a great location for that.

I ate in the restautant and had a very enjoyable meal that was included in the price of my dinner B&B rate. There was loads of choice, including a buffet carvery, but I went for the a la carte and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the fresh sardines I had for my starter and my veal and roasted veg was so tasty. I even added a dessert to my experience and if felt rude not to! The wine selection is not bad and reasonably priced for a hotel too.

My only gripe was that I booked this hotel via their website and I was given the option to book a smoking room by the website. When I arrived I was told the hotel was non-smoking through-out and had been so since January. I was miffed, because their website had been out of date for months and given that I had only book a week or two before my visit I felt justified in making this point. The manager I spoke to had her hands tied on the issue but she did her best and I respected her for visiting my room to discuss my point - which she agreed was more than valid - face to face. If I could smoke I'd stay here again but until there are no smoking rooms left in the whole of the south coast, I won't. Purely because I think it's awful that smokers are not given the freedom to choose to smoke in a room that they are paying for. Not everyone is a non-smoker and it would not harm hotels to offer a few smoking rooms to those of us who do like a puff - particularly when we're loan travellers with no one to sit out side and freeze with. It's hard the biggest crime in the world but hotels are doing a good job of making us feel like it is. A sense of perspective would be nice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Clevedon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

Booked for a three night stay with my mum and our two tiny yorkshire terriers. The room was large, beautiful bay window over looking the solent. It was beautifully clean with white bed linen, all the other furniture, wall paper, curtains and pictures were colour coordinated to give a warm calm feel to the room. All the hotel was clean, cleaners were working from very early polishing the brass rails at the front of the hotel and sweeping up the steps and drive way. Breakfast was served in the lovely cool dining room overlooking the solent. Breakfast consisted of a large choice of cereal *(my favorite was the american nutty selection) ice cold milk, choice of fresh fruit, yogurts, seven types of fruit juice. Large selection of the full english breakfast. The bar meals in the evening were large but well presented. My mum has a small apetite so we split the evening meal between the two of us after the first night the hotel served up one meal on two plates for us. Nothing was two much trouble for them. The hotel was situated by the lake, very shot distance to the promanade and the sea, not to far to wander to the castle and the shops. The stay proved to be one of the most enjoyable times in a hotel. Definately would go back. Only two minor points, car park was not large but if you were good at driving could negociate finding spaces. secondary double glazing had a habit of trapping fingers.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for those excellent comments thay are much appreciated and I will pass them on to the Team