“Couldn't have done more for our noisy Hen Party!”

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #11 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I celebrated by Hen Weekend in Portsmouth this weekend (3rd - 5th May) and we had organised the weekend through an independent company. They'd booked the hotel and activities etc. We didn't really know what to expect when we booked it, it was a great price for what was included so we were expecting a pretty shabby, cheap hotel. However, when we pulled up to the hotel (we arrived bang on check-in time as we were a little worried about not being able to get parked) we were greeted by a kind receptionist. My Maid of Honour had arrived earlier (I later found out it was to decorate my room with balloons and banners etc) and they were really accommodating with that.
We'd had games planned for the beach/Southsea common on Saturday morning but we were let down a little by the weather. The hotel were great and allowed us to use one of their conference rooms so our plans still went ahead! They also kept the bar open til the early hours of morning for us on Saturday night.
Breakfast was to die for...shame I was too hungover to eat anything on Sunday morning! Rooms are lovely and everything that's advertised on the website is included....definitely worth requesting a sea-view! Reception and bar area could do with updating somewhat but all in all, a great hotel and the staff were great too!

Room Tip: The hair dryer in our room was one attached to the wall...almost like a swimming pool one. And it wa...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank NavyBaby91
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

Thank you for your review of the Hotel and I am pleased you found all the team helpful, I hope the wedding goes well and you call back in the future and possibly spend a weekend with your partner, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 4 May 2013

The moment my wife and I walked into this hotel it oozed luxury. First class reception and bar. Warm spacious rooms and a real bonus, free cold bottled water on every floor. But the jewel here is the food. We had the carvery and it was truly restaurant quality. The prices are very reasonable for this quality. If you use the buses they are just outside the hotel direct to Gun Wharf Quays. Free car parking too. Would I stay here again ? In a heartbeat.

Room Tip: To be honest all rooms should be good but we had a sea view room and there was no noise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DerekMHowarth

Thank you for your review of the hotel and its services and I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, the local transport network is very good and as you say a short stroll away, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Have stayed at this hotel before and although some of the rooms are not too bad, overall they are a little tired.The room we had this time though was really awful, smelt odd and was so tiny I am sure it was really a single but they had put a double bed in, overlooking the car park with scaffolding outside the window, lovely!. We tried to change but were told that they were full and there was nothing they could do although friends in our party booked at the same time and had a huge room with sea view.I know that it's the luck of the draw but we were paying the same rate so I don't know how the Best Western organise these things. If we hadn't been with a party and had already paid we would not have stayed. Having said all this the food was good and overall the staff friendly, obviously didn't find reception staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Check out your room before you pay your hard earned money.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments, I am pleased you found the food and service in the Hotel to be good but obviously dissapointed you were not happy with your room, we were carrying out a major external refurbishment at the time of your visit hence the scaffolding at the rear of the hotel, if you would like to saty with us again please contact me directly and I will ensure you have a seaview room at a specialy discounted rate, regards Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 3 May 2013

The organisation I work for has held a number of functions in the Royal Beach and they have always been excellent. However, the last one was mine to organise completely from scratch and from the outset the support from the event organiser was top class. On the run-up to the function itself I felt totally supported with timely and friendly advice on how to get the best from my event for all participants.

The function itself was outstanding with fantastic food, well presented and with discreet and professional service from all the staff. This efficient and personal service was provided throughout the whole evening, despite a couple more functions also being held in the hotel.

I cannot recommend the Royal Beach enough if you want a professional and memorable event organised.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for an excellent review of the hotel and its Functions team, I will pass on your comments to Davina Jones our Conference manager and hope you visit the hotel again, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 30 April 2013

Recently spent a weekend away with 80 guests for a special event, everything from our first contact months before to departure was extremely well orchestrated . The events organiser could not of been more helpful and all members of staff from the manager to the room attendants were polite and friendly. The food over the whole weekend was excellent. I found the hotel to be clean and well presented with good sized rooms. The hotel is well located within easy reach of many attractions. I would definitely return and have no worries recommending this hotel for a relaxed weekend away or a stress free large event.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of the Hotel, I am really pleased you found everything to your satisfaction and that all the departments delivered to your group, we hope to see you all again, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 24 April 2013

Staying in the Best Western Royal Beach during a secondment from my normal working site. Although not recommended by other work mates i found the hotel to be very clean and tidy, as expected it is very traditional holiday resort type hotel. Room good size and clean. Breakfast excellent and evening meal menu has a good selection. Well worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank James B

Thank you for your review of the hotel and its positive content all you need to do now is convince your work colleagues to come and stay as well, many thanks Chris Gilmore Gm

Reviewed 23 April 2013

It's hard to over-rate this hotel. Our third stay was as good as the first. A superb operation: everything we came across works, is clean and polished, and above all every member of staff we met couldn't have been more friendly and helpful - and this applies from excellent booking help from Reception right through to servicing of our room. With a grandchild in tow especially, all this matters. And Dining Room service and food quality puts many a restaurant to shame. We can't wait until our next stay.

Room Tip: For us a family room was essential. We were superbly provided for, on the front with a sea view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments which I will pass on to all of the team, we look forward to your next visit, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM