Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
  • Pool
US$122
US$114
  • Breakfast included
Number Four Boutique Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$106
US$126
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Portsmouth - North(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$107
  • Room Service
US$141
US$136
Hotwire.com
Premier Inn Portsmouth Port Solent Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$97
PremierInn.com
1,424 results
All reviewssea viewcar parksea frontsouth parade pierbuffet stylesingle roombit datedlovely hotelroom was largereception staffstreet parkingisle of wightweekend breakbreakfast was excellentthird floora lovely stayenjoyable stay
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I often have to go to Portsmouth for work but I'd avoided here as I'd got it muddled with the Queens, which I regard as the worst hotel I've ever stayed at (both names to do with royalty).
Anyway I was very pleasantly surprised. I couldn't fault the rooms (I stayed twice), apart from the view, but I got a very cheap rate, presumably if I'd paid more I could have at a sea view - the hotel is right on the sea-front.
The food was the best I've had anywhere this year (which includes some fine restaurants in Peru).
The receptionist was very helpful in explaining how to navigate the traffic system in the centre of Portsmouth.

Large traditional sea-side hotels may not appeal to younger people though.
Parking is limited, and if you do find a space you'll probably find yourself blocked in the next morning. I would recommend parking a couple of streets away (there are restrictions on parking too near the sea).

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank jeffrey_cousins
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

Thank you for your review which was very pleasing and I will pass on your comment about the food to all in that department, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 27 November 2013

very good hotel, excellent location, seaview rooms very spacious, breakfast very good choice, didnt find reception staff very helpful, otherwise a great choice for a short stay. Plenty to see and do, especially gunwharf quay.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank tricia04_10

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, I apologise if reception appeared unhelpful as that is not a normal occurrence and I will pass your comment on, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Nice location. Good breakfast. Ample parking if you arrived early, but a real risk of getting blocked in by inconsiderate guests who arrived later. Nice room size

But it was impossible to have a shower without banging your head on the sloping wall (unless you were about 4 foot tall). We reported this on day 1, and on day 2 of our 2 day stay they offered to move us to a room on the 2nd floor, but we really didn`t want to have to pack and unpack again late afternoon before going out for dinner with family.

There were no porters available to assist elderly or less able customers. One unfortunate guest was saddled with the job of moving all of his groups suitcases over a number of different floors and rooms.

The Key cards didn`t work. We had to change them 4 times, and it was apparent that other guests on the 4th floor were having similar problems.

The radiator didn`t work properly- it was warm at the bottom and cold at the top. I imagine that it just needed bleeding, but regular maintenance should ensure that this doesn`t happen. We reported this at 18.00 before we left to go out for dinner, but it was still unchanged when we returned at 22.00. The end result was that we had a cold room for 2 nights when the outside temperature was hovering around 2 degrees.

When we told the woman on reception about this she started talking over me and had an attitude.
I politely explained that when we checked out we would not expect to be charged the full rate for our stay. To the credit of management, they halved our bill without any quibble.

Apart from the receptionist "with attitude", the rest of the staff were pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor if you are more than 4 feet tall want to use the shower. The rooms are nice and quiet up here.
2  Thank Sixties-Icon
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Thank you for the positive comments you have posted, I would like to clear up the four negative comments you have also raised, I can understand the issue with your husband being a tall man over 6ft 4 as you told me, showering would be difficult for him in a smaller bathroom which is why we offered you a room move with assistance which you declined, the young man moving the suitcases was the tour operator who declined porter assistance, the group who are regular customers always move there own luggage as group luggage is a chargeable service. When the radiator was reported to us late on Friday evening the duty manager attempted to vent the radiator but was unable to due to a seized vent screw, he found that the radiator was hot apart from a small section at the top and that you had already found the electric radiator which we have in all rooms as a backup should something like this occur, he reported the room was very warm. The discount you received was offered as we could not get the radiator repaired until the Monday and that we felt we should have been more aware of your husbands height on check in, We programmed two keys for you and I was informed you lost a key card during your stay and requested a new one from the night staff, this automatically cancelled the other card for security reasons which led to you having this problem, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed 2 nights for Wedding Anniversary. After initial hiccup booking on Best Western website which crashed 3 times potentially ending up with 2 double rooms for 1 person, the company rectified and reimbursed immediately. All that followed was absolutely perfect, hotel, food & staff, brilliant! Sad to leave. Location is excellent for access into Portsmouth and all its attractions. Thanks to all.

Room Tip: Sea View on 3rd Floor a must. Very spacious and warm.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased after your initial difficulty with central reservations we were able to deal with your problem efficiently, if you decide to stay with us again may I suggest that you contact the hotel directly guaranteeing the best rate and an accurate booking, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Excellent Hotel and location attentive staff in the restaurant,sleep quality spacious room with excellent sea view. just across the road from the beach and a flat level walk no more than 40 mins into Portsmouth. Will be staying again definitely.

Room Tip: Sea View and spacious room so up grade is a good choice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your excellent review of the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back, Chris Gilmore GM