“Overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Barwell, United Kingdom
“Overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We were travelling to the Isle of Wight and fancied a look round Portsmouth before going the next day.
The Royal Beach looked a reasonable hotel and so we booked. Our double room turned out to be a family room but that was OK as the double bed was a little on the small side and so I slept in a bunk bed.
The staff were friendly and for the most part, efficient. We ate both lunch and evening meal at the hotel and again the food was of a good standard. We would certainly stay there again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank David A
GeneralManager99, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you took advantage of the family rooms extra beds, hopefully if you visit again please book a queen size which will be more comfortable, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (410)
York, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed at the Hotel on Monday 9 June 2014 ahead of my cross channel crossing on Brittany Ferries the next morning. The Hotel is very easy to find from Central Portsmouth and the Railway Stations and Portsmouth & Southsea and Portsmouth Harbour. I had a great welcome from the Reception Staff who were very helpful. My bedroom was on the 4th floor looking over Portsmouth. The room was clean with clean bedding, clean en suite. Disabled access was great with a lift accessing all floors. If you are staying at the Hotel ahead of a Ferry crossing the Hotel is about a 25 to 30 minute drive if catching a early Ferry which I did (08:15) but can be longer if catching a afternoon crossing in event of a lot of traffic. Breakfast is served from 06:45am but can be ordered from bedrooms early from 05:00am. Reception staff will advise you on dinner arrangements on arrival.

Room Tip: I would say a room on the 4th floor looking towards the Solent as the back rooms only give you a vie...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a great review of the Hotel and we hope to see you again, best wishes, Chris Gilmore GM
Bath
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed for a single night in a one person room whilst attending a concert at the Wedgewood Rooms, 70quid booking.com deal I think. Easy to find - right on the seafront. Room was clean yet spacious (especially since it was a single person room) with a great view of the opposite beach. Friendly staff, nice brekkie. Not that close to the central shops if that's your thing - about 15 minutes brisk walk. Was about 15 minutes from the Albert Street venue. Easy check in, check out, free parking (although as other have mentioned, it's a little tight and not that many spaces - didn't affect me as I got there about 1430, got checked in and left the car there until I checked out). Would certainly use again for Southsea/Portsmouth.

Room Tip: Well, I liked the single room with the sea view. not sure if there are others round the back, but th...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for a very good review of the Hotel and I am pleased you had a good stay with us, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
Oxfordshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was my third stay here and very good again. I asked for a quiet room high floor which was noted and this was a great twin room. Clean and comfortable as before and helpful polite staff. We had a problem with our lights going out at 10.45pm. A phone call to reception and this was quickly resolved by staff in our room. Nice breakfast as before. The biggest problem is arriving late and parking but we did manage to squeeze into a space at the back. Look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your good review of the hotel and I am even more pleased we can maintain the standards you expect on your visits, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were on a coach trip from Wales and when we arrived we had warm welcome and luggage taken to our rooms,good start.Facilities in room were great, if you ran out of beverages you only had to ask at reception to get more. Our room was great, we were at the back so there was no traffic noise from the main road,did not mind that we did not hadve a sea view as the beach was just across the road. Our duvet was depressing, 13.5 tog,in summer, well used,I think that could be binned ,mattress not something we would like to sleep on again Windows could be opened WIDE, so had a good breeze. Light above sink was not working so informed reception and when we got back in the evening it was sorted. Staff were really helpful, polite and curtious, mind you only two rattled my cage, for being impolite. Breakfast was good, plenty to choose from, only found out on my third day you could ask for scrambled, poached or boiled eggs when I noticed that it was on the reverse of the menu on the table, then when I did ask I was abrubtly told to ask the staff that came to the table, felt like I was at school. Evening meal was the worst we found, first course was poor, main meal, poorer, the vegatables, if thats what you would call them, broccoli was more yellow and brown than green one night and the next night we had broccoli and stilton soup!, carrots we okay, next day we had carrot and swede mash!, could not see the swede though but the dessert, now that was the best, 10 out of 10 for that. We thought the hotel was great, yes it could do with a bit updating but it was clean, gripes were sorted and staff were great, evening meals let it down for us.What we thought was a good idea was water coolers on every floor, so we had cold water any time.

Lynda

Room Tip: We found reception staff always willing to help, so if there is something you need or a question to...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynda R
Thank you for your review, I am pleased you had a good stay with us apart from a few minor points and hope you decide to visit us again, best wishes Chris Gilmore
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Great hotel, staff friendly, superb breakfast, bedroom had great sea view. Only slight issue was parking was a bit tight but found a spot. Would stay again , good location to get into old Portsmouth. But no noisy activity outside as it's well away from nightlife.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review which is appreciated, I am pleased you had a good stay with us and l will pass on your comments to the team, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM
St Austell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very disappointing fixed menu food and access for disabled. Supplement for single occupancy in a single room incapable of taking a second person is bizarre. Poor service and food options for vegetarians. Owners only interested in money, not service. We were a group of ageing World War II vets who seriously struggled with accommodation, stairs and extremely high temperatures in the hotel, when it was cold outside. Will never go back. Before posting this, I put all the problems to the hotel, no reply received. Says it all.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mick H
GeneralManager99, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am always disappointed to receive a negative review especially as I am unaware of the issues you have written, I have not received any correspondence to date and would have responded immediately. I am puzzled by your fixed menu comment as we offer a choice Carvery menu consisting of a minimum of five choices per course with vegetarian options on each, our staff are trained to offer any guest not finding dishes suitable to offer an alternative so I m sorry this did not appear to happen. We do have two lifts to all floors in the building to provide ease of access for all guests but I agree the accessible entrance does need to be improved but owing to the age and height of our entrance is proving difficult, if you would like to contact me to discuss this further please do so, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM