Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
US$105
Hotels.com
Florence House(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$154
Number Four Boutique Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$127
  • Room Service
The George Hotel(Portsmouth)
US$126
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Havant Rowlands Castle Hotel(Portsmouth)(Great Value!)
US$76
Travelodge
1,402 results
All reviewssea viewcar parksea frontsouth parade pierbuffet stylesingle roombit datedlovely hotelroom was largereception staffstreet parkingisle of wightweekend breakbreakfast was excellentthird floora lovely stayenjoyable stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit and unfortunately it will probably be my last. Having said that it just about meets what I would call 3 stars. It had it own (cramped) parking, free wifi, biscuits in the room and a pleasant atmosphere. However it's tired. The room (4th floor overlooking the carpark) was spacious but straight out if the 80's. Also and I appreciate it was the hottest day of the year but the room was like a furnace. I didn't stay for an evening meal but the breakfast was good. With some investment it could be nice.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andy T
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for your comments, refurbishment has already begun in some areas and I feel sure you would notice the difference if you decide to stay with us again, regards Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Really, this hotel just about epitomises the extreme patience and low expectations many British still have towards accommodation and food served.

Let's start with the positive. A very good sized room and a sea view (not saying very much for Portsmouth but still...). Biscuits with the tea making facilities: tick. Good beds: tick. Clean and quiet: double tick. Excellent and friendly staff: double tick, again.

Generally though, this hotel needs and indeed, deserves, a huge investment by Best Western. It has seen far better days and is rather like an ageing diva: frayed at the edges and long past her best. The carpets all need throwing out as do the huge curtains and chandeliers in the restaurant which just age the hotel even more, in short, it needs modernising, not least because of very poor disabled access throughout.

It gets worse. We dined in the restaurant and the menu looked quite good. My husband had a Caribbean style red mullet to start which was good and I had the pheasant pate which was also very good.

However my husband then had chicken pasta which was dry and completely tasteless - how can any experienced cook do tasteless pasta? I ordered the 'crispy' pork belly on champ. This was nothing of the sort and is nothing to do with one's taste but definitely to do with the Trades Description Act. A squared portion of pork belly was encased in something unknown to man nor beast (except the cook perhaps), rather like large breadcrumbs or some kind of unidentified coating but definitely NOT crispy pork! The champ was horrid and caused me to do something I have rarely ever done in my life, I sent it back. My husband ploughed through his torment with just a brief muttering.

Having complained, we were visited by the Duty/Restaurant Manager, a delightful Czech gentleman who really saved the evening through being charm itself (or himself) and who apologised charmingly.

In retrospect, had it not been for the poorly cooked pasta dish of my husband's and the passing off, of a peculiarly coated piece of pork and horrible champ, I would have regarded the hotel as a quaint relic of Olde England worthy of a revisit just for nostalgia's sake. In fact, I might even forgive the bad dinner and brave, once again in the future, the rigours of returning to a 1950s-style English BB&D.

Improve disabled access Best Western and you could have a hit on your hands.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and I am pleased you were happy with the majority of your stay, We have just today completed a full refurbishment of the corridor carpeting and a planned bathroom refurbishment has already commenced. Best western do not own the property so all capital investment is done by the hotel itself, we have already invested over half a million pounds this year back into the property. I am sorry you did not enjoy the way we presented the belly pork dish and found your pasta dry, we have served a large number of guests with these dishes and have had positive feedback but I will bear your comments in mind, best wishes Chris Gilmore Gm

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed one night Sunday 22nd June. Hotel is in a wonderful position in front of the beach in a peaceful area of Portsmouth - Southsea. I was checked in by a lovely receptionist Alicia and she was very professional, cheerful, helpful throughout my stay and showed generous spirit as nothing was too much trouble. My single room and the bathroom were both specious, comfortable, smartly and tastefully decorated. I had a benefit of the sea view which was great - thank you! I had breakfast and was greeted and seated promptly. Received good attention - yet not obtrusive - and the food was great!
Overall I think this hotel is great in terms of very high standards of accommodation and customer service. Thank you so much for a relaxing stay and see you again soon!

Room Tip: Sea view is great. The windows are double glazed to there is no noise from the road and it is very quiet most of time anyway, empty till 8am at least.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jolanta G

Thank you for a lovely review of the hotel and its team, I am happy that we seemed to tick all your boxes, many thanks Chris Gilmore GM

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Great location and a room with lovely sea views. Easy parking at rear of hotel. Really convenient if you are heading for France on the Portsmouth ferries. Helpful staff and good evening menu meant that we didn't feel we needed to leave the hotel. Sadly it was a wet evening which spoiled our plans for a waterside evening stroll. The warm welcome, good food and excellent customer service more than made up for the poor weather. We will return and hope for some sun next time!

Room Tip: Choose a room a the front of the hotel for an excellent sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and I am pleased our team helped you enjoy your stay, best wishes Chris Gilmore

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We were travelling to the Isle of Wight and fancied a look round Portsmouth before going the next day.
The Royal Beach looked a reasonable hotel and so we booked. Our double room turned out to be a family room but that was OK as the double bed was a little on the small side and so I slept in a bunk bed.
The staff were friendly and for the most part, efficient. We ate both lunch and evening meal at the hotel and again the food was of a good standard. We would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank David A
GeneralManager99, General Manager at Best Western Royal Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for your review, I am pleased you took advantage of the family rooms extra beds, hopefully if you visit again please book a queen size which will be more comfortable, best wishes Chris Gilmore GM