“Good location, opposite the beach, excellent food in restaurant, friendly helpful staff”

Best Western Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 May 2010

The hotel is in a good position opposite the pier and beach. Evening meal in the restaurant was excellent, plenty of choice, fantastic food. Also a good breakfast selection. Our room was clean, tidy and spacious with a sea view, also quiet, no squeaky floorboards in the room or on the landing. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We were part of a wedding party who were looked after very well during our stay. Great hotel for weddings and functions.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,352)

Reviewed 14 April 2010

i have stayed at this hotel five times now, and am booked again later in the year. the bedrooms are excellent, and i always have one with a sea view. the standard of cleanliness, and facilities are excellent, with everything done to give you a lovely relaxed. holiday. i always fill in the questionnaire on leaving, and the manager does me the coutresy of writing to thank me for my comments. i must say too that the food is of a very high standard. thank you royal beach for some very happy memories anne darby

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 March 2010

My Wife and i visted the hotel on extended weekend to attend a function with other colleagues from Yorkshire joining us for two nights and we were treated exceptionally well, nothing too much trouble for the staff. The maids were terrific with rooms kept a very clean and to a high standard. The food was exceptional and by that i also mean the bar meals which had the same level of taste and quality as the restaurant food. Breakfast was super! We had stayed before and recommended Royal Beach to our friends so I think that says it all,
Well done Royal Beach it was great to get the service from all your staff and enjoy real value for money.
Les Helliwell
Yorkshire

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Silverlad
Reviewed 13 March 2010

Had several problems in booking my room direct with the hotel, they managed to get the booking wrong on two occasions and still couldnt get it right. I received a third email back from them saying what room I would have two days after I had left so I think that shows how disorganised their booking clerks are. The hotel itself was fine, parking was a nightmare though, the car park at the back is small and was jammed full of cars and vans. Very difficult to find a place to park on the road. Room was ok, but seemed that the walls were very thin, even possibly plasterboard as you could hear every noise from adjacent rooms which meant a poor nights sleep. After arriving I ordered a bar meal of pie and chips, I had to send the meal back as the pastry looked like a piece of tarmac that had peeled off the road in very hot weather! It beats me how the chef could actually think that someone would accept something like that, it was disgusting. The replacement took around twenty minutes to arrive but at least it was acceptable. Breakfast was OK. Would look somewhere else next time in Portsmouth

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank M00sej00se
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I have visited The Royal Beach Hotel four years running in January, where I meet up with friends. Prices have varied for a room with single occupancy and breakfast but they have always been good value for the standard of the hotel. On three occasions I have had a sea view, a rather compact room on one occasion but an upgrade to one with twin double beds and a lounge area on another.

The hotel, a traditionally styled building, overlooks the pier. There is some parking at the front of the hotel and a car park at the rear, both free. It is pleasant to walk along the promenade and the centre of Southsea is within walking distance where there are two departmental stores, restaurants, cafes, pubs etc.

This year, January 2010, I paid £45 (non-refundable) for a standard room with a double bed including breakfast but no sea view. Others in my party paid £65, so it is worth shopping around. I booked through the hotel directly. The hotel was full on this occasion but the usual high standard of service was maintained. Checking in has always been prompt and friendly. There is a lift, a spacious bar area and a large breakfast room that overlooks the sea. The buffet breakfast has a wide variety of options. The meals served in the bar are tasty and the proportions are very generous. There are vegetarian choices. The communal areas are comfortable and the rooms are extremely clean. Fluffy white towels, a hairdryer and the usual bathroom toiletries are provided. Coffee and tea making facilities include packs of biscuits. I appreciated there being a luggage stand so my case didn’t have to sit on a chair. The TVs probably need to be replaced with flat-screen models.

I always thoroughly enjoy my stay at this well run and nicely appointed hotel and I am very happy to recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I stayed at this Hotel, ten times last year (2009) and have never consistently met such helpful and friendly staff. Managers, Bar Staff, Reception, Restaurant, Porters and the cleaners, cheerful and so obliging.
I had an excellent room each time, with a sea view. The rooms and the Hotel are not 'plush' as such, but are smart, very clean and very comfortable. As a female away on business, this is the best Hotel I have stayed in on business, in a very, very long while, and I've stayed in a lot!! I also felt very secure here, again, because of the staff.
It isn't 5*, nor does it pretend to be. I have given it five on scores because of the above comments and they do a superb breakfast.! Also very reasonably priced bar food if you don't want to eat in the main restaurant.
If I were working on the same contract this year, I would have booked again, but I have just retired!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I cannot fault anything at this perfect hotel. The staff are very friendly, hospitable and will do anything to help make your stay fantastic, there is nothing to much trouble. The rooms have always been to the highest standard, the sea views are great as well.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business