“Reasonable prices, great place”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed one night in this Marriott on a short visit to Portsmouth. The room was as expected, very clean and neat, two doubles, as we are a family of four. The hotel is 10mins out of the main Portsmouth harbour area but on all the major routes out of town and within 2 minutes of Port Solent with all the restaurants there. We ate dinner at Port Solent but noticed afterwards that the hotel restaurant had surprisingly reasonable prices and a nice menu. The breakfast was delicious and the pool lovely. The only downside was that parking was not automatically free, although it seemed to be included in the bed and breakfast price that we paid.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occasions and the standard is usually high. There are small gripes here and there but in my experience i have yet to find a hotel which doesn't require some compromise on behalf of the guest.
As has previously been mentioned, there is quite a lot of traffic noise from outside and frequent ambulance sirens (the property is a mile away from a large hospital) but that has never stopped me getting a good nights sleep in their comfortable and well equipped bedrooms.
There has also been quite a queue for breakfast if you choose to eat at 'peak' hours but no more than other hotels in the area and of no significance.
So why the 'but' in my review headline? Well, for me perception and first impressions are important. This weekend on our latest visit we were greeted by car park pay machines in the hotel car park.
It's only £3/ night for visiting hotel guests to park but I really do rail at blatant profiteering. The hotel is not actually next to anything which could encourage illegal parking. There really is nothing around to suggest that this is a persistent problem for this global chain so I left with no other conclusion than it has been suggested by some 'suit' that revenue streams can be created from such a move.
You may feel I'm being petty over such a small surcharge but the truth is this new 'impression' has left a very nasty taste in my mouth. So much so that I would consider quite happily using a local competitor such as the 4* Solent some 10 miles away.
The rooms may be more expensive but I wouldn't be paying a parking surcharge. Peverse? Possibly yes, but first impressions count.

1  Thank fangfarrier
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Guest,

first of all thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I just wanted to explain the reason behind the parking charges.

We had to stop unauthorized parking at the hotel from, since we were running out of space during the week and in weekends for meetings and weddings.
This was caused by:
* local businesses around us with limited car parks
* students from local College
* Cruise and Ferry guests weekday and weekend
* Car pooling to go to London or Southampton
* Football Supporters for away games
* Car dumping/car sales

This measure has been taken to ensure that our guests have parking available when they visit. Most of the large hotels in Portsmouth now charge for parking but we have tried to keep our charges to a minimum.

I hope this explains our decision to install a car park system.

best regards,

BJ Schreuder

Reviewed 10 April 2012

My g/f, myself and our 1 year old son stayed here for two nights with breakfast included. From the outside the hotel looks old, but never judge a book by its cover, as inside the hotel is gorgeous, modern, bright, clean and all staff are highly trained to give the customer the best experience and stay possible and all do it with a smile... nothing is to much trouble! Check in was a breeze, and our room was pretty big, spotless, had everything you could possibly need and the pillows and bed were a dream!!!

The main purpose of our stay was to celebrate my birthday, take our son to Peppa Pig World and to spend a few days by the sea. So on arrival at our room I found a card addressed to me along with a plate of cheese, fruit, and biscuits, a glass, a bottle of wine and a napkin, which was from the hotel wishing me a Happy Birthday, which was a lovely touch.

The hotel has a beautiful bar, breakfast/dinner area, and has a very nice pool, changing area and steam room, sauna and jacuzzi with loungers by the side of the pool. The food at breakfast catered for everyone with loads on offer from fruit, breads, cereals, drinks, spreads, veg, yogurts and a full english fry, and was 5 star.

The hotel is next to a motorway but also close to a Beefeater, Tescos Express, Pizza Hut and Petrol Station, and is a 2 min drive to the amazing Port Solent, which is a place which has bars, restraunts, a cinema, and shops all in a cosy port/marina with sail boats and yacts, and is highly recommend to go at night for dinner or a few drinks as the views are stunning.

To stay here and to get around you will def. need a car, as its quite a distance to the city centre, amusements, and attractions.

The hotel also allows very small dogs to stay...

The only downside to this stay here was the room windows, and quite a few other guests who stayed on the same side of the hotel as us ( onto the road ) mentioned that they heard everything at night from people below smoking/talking outside in the hotel smoking area, to sirens from police/ambulances through out the night, and when I took a further look at the windows I found them very drafty.

But apart from this I would love to stay here again and highly recommend it to everyone!!! :)
On check out they even told us not to worry about paying for the £3 a day parking free, which was very kind and a great leaving gift...

2  Thank HertsTravelling82
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Stayed for a weekend treat for my mother, rate included 2 spa treatments and 3 course dinner and buffet breakfast for us.

The hotel was in the middle of nowhere (I already knew this when booking) but was less than a £4 taxi ride from Cosham station (nearer than Portsmouth) so it was easy enough to get to.

I found the Reception staff to be helpful, gave us a room on the quieter end of the building on the top floor. The room was a great size with 2 King Size beds, clean and up to the usual Marriott standards. You can hear traffic in the room, this can't really be avoided due to the proximity to several main roads - with the air con on it drowns the noise out so I didn't really find it a problem. Once inside the room it was quiet, no disturbances from adjacent rooms or corridors.

The leisure facilities were good, the pool was quite busy during the day but in the evening it quietened down. The pool, gym, sauna and steam room were all of a good size.

The 3 course dinner in the Restaurant was excellent, staff were accommodating to adjust menus for my mother who was vegetarian. The buffet breakfast was also very good, amongst the best I have had at any hotel worldwide.

I thoroughly recommend this hotel if you want a weekend break with a hint of luxury and make use of the spa facilities. It wouldn't be a good choice for a hotel if you wanted to explore Portsmouth obviously you would be better off booking something more centrally.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2012

A very nice hotel, typical marriott rooms (nice and comfortable) and it was clean.

The only downside to this hotel is the location and the noise from traffic. Breakfast not up to the usual standard of a marriott but overall well worth a visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Very handy location wise for the motorway, we were staying one night before continuing a long drive the next morning. The reception staff were very friendly, we were traveling with a 3 month old baby and they were very helpful to make sure we had everything we needed.

Rooms were clean, lovely bed and had no issue with noise even with being so close to major roads.

We ate at the hotel and both the food in the evening and at breakfast was excellent. Free parking was also very welcome and a short walk to a large tesco and various fast food outlets if you wanted to eat somewhere else (Pizza Hut, KFC).

The staff at the hotel definitely went "the extra mile" to help us when an incident occurred during our stay. The duty night manager couldnt do enough for us and went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything was as well as could be. Although this did mean our stay was stressful I would have no issue with returning to the hotel after the service that we received from all staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Returned to this hotel after several years away and found it still the same, fictional and suitable for the business at hand. Only issue was charging for parking and to add this to both Invoices was an issue for both self and colleague. They did remove without question but would suspect this is added to all Bills and it’s up to the client to get removed

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business