“It is a Marriott”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #18 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Only stayed one night and chose Marriott for the consistent standards across the chain, Portsmouth is the same. Looks a little dated from the outside, inside it is truly a Marriott. Nice lobby area with fitness center - didn't use it but looked good when I poked my head around.
Front of house staff are friendly and helpful.
Good option all round

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Guest,

thank you for staying at our hotel and just wanted to let you know that we are planning to do something with the outside of the hotel with our new owners and hopefully you will see the difference when you come back next time.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I stayed for 1 night before we caught the ferry for Bilbao the next morning. The quality of the bedding is superb and even though there was lots of noise from the very busy road outside we had a wonderful nights sleep. In the evening we walked along to Port Solent where we had something to eat in Wetherspoons (which was very nice). We enjoyed the facilities of the pool, sauna and Jacuzzi pool next morning - it's the only way to start the day, We didn't have breakfast ( we thought it was quite expensive) and the restaurant was full of smartly dressed business men and women.

Room Tip: we were on the top floor overlooking the very noisy road, some rooms overlooked the swimming pool...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased you like the new Mariott bedding package. We hope to welcome you again soon for your next trip to Bilbao. Hopefully with the new windows the noise from the roads will be a little less.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

I have been staying here for the last 8 years or so on business trips... Always a great choice for the Portsmouth area, as the property is in good shape, comfortable bed, clean room and the food is also pretty good. The staff is very professional, well trained and consistent.

While very clean, the bathrooms are getting a bit tired, and the windows are not insulated so sometimes you can get some wind noise on higher floors.

But all in all, this is the best hotel choice in the immediate area, and should not disappoint frequent Marriott customers.

Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing our hotel the last 8 years and we are pleased that you always come back because of our consistency. For your information, we are planning with the new owners to replace the windows and cladding outside the hotel soon and also renovating the bathroom hopefully in 2014 or 2015.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Weekend deal including breakfast and one night dinner. Hotel is a good location. We visited the Victorian Christmas event at the historic dockyard. The hotel is well placed to use the lakeside park and ride. The room was spacious, very comfortable bed. Breakfast very good, dinner not so good. Service in all areas excellent. The pool area is a little odd being only separated from the bar area by an open top wooden panel, but is adequate for a quick dip. This was our first Marriott experience and we found it to be very positive and would certainly book with them again.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room over looking the smoking area, a bit noisy

Dear Guest,

thank you for your kind comments and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed for a weekend at end of November with our pet dog Cody and I must say this hotel is ideal. Because it has a pet friendly policy we chose this hotel and we opted for room service breakfast which was probably the best we have ever had (Cody had rock star treatment). Service was excellent from the time we checked in until we left. The staff were very helpful and as I have said before if the check in staff are friendly on arrival it always bodes well for a pleasant stay.

Dear Guest,

thank you for choosing our hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and are we looking forward to seeing you again soon.

best reegards,

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Arrived at 21:00 and checked in quickly and the lady found my rewards number (previously lost by me). I had a 5th floor double, double room for £140 - no breakfast.

I checked out early to catch the ferry at 06:00, and the night porter checked me out (fyi, your tie was covered in sauce - not a good impression)

I booked a 5:05 wake-up call - didnt come. No free water, or free internet. A lot of money for little experience.

Parking was easy right outside the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay far from the lifts, it is much quieter.....
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear Gues,

Many thanks for comments in regards to your recent stay.
We have had system challenges last week with our wakeup call system. This has been resolved yesterday, after this was brought to our attention by guests that they were not receiving their wake up calls. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience.
Recently we have made internet inclusive on most of our rates that are available to book throughout the week Monday to Thursday. Please check this for future bookings.
We have shared your feedback with our associates in regards to uniform standards, which was much appreciated.
Hoping to welcome you back soon,

BJ. Schreuder

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the marriott for the second time in November 2013, upon checking in I found the reception team friendly and efficient, our room 204 was clean nice location looking down on the lobby and warm.
All in all I had a pleasant stay, room service was quick and at a reasonable price. The only downside I felt was some of the f and b staff seemed a bit lacking in personatity, breakfast was ok however I was given 1 small pot of coffee for 2 people and no checks were made asking if I would like some more, I asked for a high chair from who seemed to be the breakfast supervisor but never recieved it, I then waited and decided to ask a younger girl who got me one straight away.
As I said all in all it is a nice hotel, just some of the stFf could do with waking up a bit.
Next time I visit Portsmouth I would return again to the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank term5
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback and I appreciate your comments and I have shared them with my team fro further improvement. We hope to see you again soon.