“Smokers Hut”

GreenLeadersGold level
Bristol
“Smokers Hut”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

Sadly stay was ruined by nosey smokers in hut located under my room. Not sure who thought that would ever work, especially over the Christmas Party period.

Staff attitude was disappointing 'Sorry Sir, we have to cater for all our customers' which roughly equates to 'Sorry Sir, we have to make as much money as possible from all our customers'.

Smoking bit was closed off at 2230 - not very helpful as I'd been lying in bed listening to them since 2000 (early flight in the morning).

So if you don't mind noise and can sleep through anything - this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ask not to go near smokers hut.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we do apologise for the moise from the smokers hut. They were located outside hotel and restaurants in the UK, we decided to build it away from the hotel and our policy is to close it at 22.30 and customers can then only smoke in front of the hotel. Unfortunately my tea did not know that you went to bed early, please let us know next time and we close it earlier. Also please ask for a room facing Port Solent for your next visit. On this side of the hotel, there are no smoking facilities for guests.

Best regards and a Merry Christmas,

BJ Schreuder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was visiting someone in Portsmouth, so opted to stay at the Marriott for 2 nights, knowing that they are normally really good hotels. I was so disappointed, firstly the room stank of smoke, but the last straw was when I opened the fridge to see a pint of opened milk that was 1 month out of date. We went straight to reception & was told they were sorry & the only room they could move us to was smaller. However this was fine until a note was put under our door saying we should be at breakfast by 9.30 (although it was open until 11am) to avoid queueing as the hotel was busy. I found this totally unacceptable, the hotel was busy with a lot of snooker players staying there for a tournament, but did this mean we had to be treated so badly. On check out we was asked if our stay was good to which I replied no, and was told 'oh I'm sorry' & that was that. I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel, who firstly said they couldn't find my booking, so they need the room number i had stayed in etc, then I received an email, not mentioning most of the things i had complained about but asking me to give them a second chance on my next booking here as they would give me a free upgrade!! Thing is I don't think I would stay again, It was also expensive & quite out of the way. On the good side rooms were nicely decorated & breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for your detailed feedback. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience with regards to the allocation of the first room. As of the first of January 2014 our hotel will be non smoking. We also spring clean the rooms even with ionisers after one of our 4 smoking rooms is used to inprove the clean smell in these rooms.
I have shared your comments with our team. The hotel was fully booked that period and had very limited other rooms available.
The milk in the mini fridge should not have happened and I have shared this with the team. The letter in your room was only a suggestions, since when the hotel is fully booked at weekends we have a late rush for the breakfast before the closing time and our guest have to queue for a table. To avoid waiting we are suggesting to guests to come down earlier to avoid the wait. You can also order Room Service.

Thnak you agin for your feedback,

Chester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

As a marriott elite member, I have Stayed at this hotel regularly in 2013 and it's usually ok. But in December they have Xmas parties in the function room just off the main foyer. As lots of rooms overlook this internal area all you hear until late is drunk people cackling all night. Not ideal if you stay here on business.

So whilst on some occasions this hotel has been good, in December it has been very poor.....

I'm about to change my next reservation to a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank RoundtheWorldChad
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fair comments and we have changed your profile in our reception system to allocate a room in future on the higher floor. The parties are almost over and we have a new year staring soon.

Fife Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

Two night pre-cruise stopover before a cruise from Southampton.
We had never visited Portsmouth previously, wanted to visit new Mary Rose museum and Naval Dockyards.
Hotel very good, rooms and the most comfortable beds ever!
Enjoyed dinner in the hotel on both nights, don't know why so many residents were not using the restaurant. Food and service very good, slight complaint would be the fast clearance of all the tables and resetting for breakfast whilst we were just starting our dinner at just after 7pm.
Despite a wait for a table at breakfast times all the staff worked well as a team clearing up tables and getting residents seated quickly.
Will certainly return - well done

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments and I have shared them with our Restaurant Team. A lot of our weekend customers use the local restaurants in Portsmouth and the 2 marina's we have on offer. During the week we have around 60% of the hotel guests using our restaurant, bar and room service.

hope to see you again soon,

Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and were very impressed with the standard of room. Beds were very comfortable and amazing air conditioning.

The tea and coffee facilities included decaf tea which I was very impressed with.

Breakfast was good and all staff we came across were really helpful.

Would definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for a top score and we hope to see you again soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

My friends and I stayed at the Marriott Portsmouth for a weekend. We wanted 2 rooms but didn't want to share beds, we had 2 rooms, each with 2 large double beds which were very clean and comfortable and a really good price as it included breakfast and car parking. The breakfast was really good and set us up for the days shopping ahead. The swimming pool and surrounding area were really clean with plenty of staff on hand should you need anything. Two of my friends had treatments in the spa and were extremely pleased with their massage. All in all a very pleasent experience and one that I will try to repeat in the near future.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PompeyGM, Front Office Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments and we hope to see you again soon, especially the ladies from the Health of Beauty will be pleased, since they do a great job giving various treatments all years round.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

Great hotel and services, excellent food I just find the rooms really noisy. I don't know what it is about this hotel, I was on the 5 the floor and the air conditioning was off but for some reason all I could hear was a lot of back ground noise. Next year I'm definitely going to make sure I have a quieter room. But over all the staff are excellent, the place is very clean and the location for all amenities is spot on and they do a great breakfast

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great comments on our food. We have been working hard on this the last few years with our kitchen team and have received a Rosette from the AA the last 4 years. We are planning to replace the windows and cladding hopefully early next year and hopefully we will see again soon.