“A Perfect Refuge from the Storm”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Exeter, United Kingdom
“A Perfect Refuge from the Storm”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Driving home back from Gatwick to the West Country during the very fierce storm on 23 December we only managed to get as far as Portsmouth and were absolutely shattered by the atrocious driving conditions. With no reservation we pitched up on their doorstep and were welcomed as if we were long standing loyal clients of theirs; with a room rate to match. What a relief to get into the usual, high quality Marriott family room; both spacious and comfortable. The total opposite to the hotel we had left behind in Switzerland!!

Breakfast the following morning was great and we felt totally refreshed to carry on with our journey. So many thanks to the welcoming reception staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DevonBlueboy
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the great feedback and I have shared it with my team already,

We hope to see you again soon,

Best regards,

BJ Schreuder

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I cam here for a works Christmas party. And I was blown over by the quality of the room. I decided to opt for one of the more expensive rooms and It was very upmarket indeed with no expense spared. It was a very comfortable room indeed.
The meal that followed was very pleasing and I have to say I had seconds :-) Not like me normally. The rest of the evening was very entertaining. The staff were very attentive and helpful which is what I expected for a hotel of this caliber. All in all one of the best hotels I've stayed in this year.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Wow !! what a great review. Thank you for the nice comments and we hope to see you again soon.
Have a great Christmas and a successful New Year.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Porchester Suite last night, and we could not fault the room, we did order room service, the only problem we had, was the waiter forgot to bring 2 sets of cutlery. We had to wait a further 10 minutes for additional cutlery, which meant our meals were cold when we finally got the cutlery. Then, when we came to eat our dessert, we found we had no dessert spoons, so we had to wash up our dinner forks. Overall, we will be back again, as generally the service is good.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and choosing our great suite and we are pleased you enjoyed most of your stay. We apologise for this silly Room Service personal mistake.
My Restaurant Manager has investigated that day and you were served by a new associate, although this is not an excuse, we have retrained the whole team to double check the RS orders before they bring it up to the rooms.
Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

We hope to see you again soon and have a great Christmas and New Year,

Bristol
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Sadly stay was ruined by nosey smokers in hut located under my room. Not sure who thought that would ever work, especially over the Christmas Party period.

Staff attitude was disappointing 'Sorry Sir, we have to cater for all our customers' which roughly equates to 'Sorry Sir, we have to make as much money as possible from all our customers'.

Smoking bit was closed off at 2230 - not very helpful as I'd been lying in bed listening to them since 2000 (early flight in the morning).

So if you don't mind noise and can sleep through anything - this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ask not to go near smokers hut.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and we do apologise for the moise from the smokers hut. They were located outside hotel and restaurants in the UK, we decided to build it away from the hotel and our policy is to close it at 22.30 and customers can then only smoke in front of the hotel. Unfortunately my tea did not know that you went to bed early, please let us know next time and we close it earlier. Also please ask for a room facing Port Solent for your next visit. On this side of the hotel, there are no smoking facilities for guests.

Best regards and a Merry Christmas,

london
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I was visiting someone in Portsmouth, so opted to stay at the Marriott for 2 nights, knowing that they are normally really good hotels. I was so disappointed, firstly the room stank of smoke, but the last straw was when I opened the fridge to see a pint of opened milk that was 1 month out of date. We went straight to reception & was told they were sorry & the only room they could move us to was smaller. However this was fine until a note was put under our door saying we should be at breakfast by 9.30 (although it was open until 11am) to avoid queueing as the hotel was busy. I found this totally unacceptable, the hotel was busy with a lot of snooker players staying there for a tournament, but did this mean we had to be treated so badly. On check out we was asked if our stay was good to which I replied no, and was told 'oh I'm sorry' & that was that. I wrote a letter of complaint to the hotel, who firstly said they couldn't find my booking, so they need the room number i had stayed in etc, then I received an email, not mentioning most of the things i had complained about but asking me to give them a second chance on my next booking here as they would give me a free upgrade!! Thing is I don't think I would stay again, It was also expensive & quite out of the way. On the good side rooms were nicely decorated & breakfast was very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for your detailed feedback. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience with regards to the allocation of the first room. As of the first of January 2014 our hotel will be non smoking. We also spring clean the rooms even with ionisers after one of our 4 smoking rooms is used to inprove the clean smell in these rooms.
I have shared your comments with our team. The hotel was fully booked that period and had very limited other rooms available.
The milk in the mini fridge should not have happened and I have shared this with the team. The letter in your room was only a suggestions, since when the hotel is fully booked at weekends we have a late rush for the breakfast before the closing time and our guest have to queue for a table. To avoid waiting we are suggesting to guests to come down earlier to avoid the wait. You can also order Room Service.

Thnak you agin for your feedback,

Gneeral Manager
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

As a marriott elite member, I have Stayed at this hotel regularly in 2013 and it's usually ok. But in December they have Xmas parties in the function room just off the main foyer. As lots of rooms overlook this internal area all you hear until late is drunk people cackling all night. Not ideal if you stay here on business.

So whilst on some occasions this hotel has been good, in December it has been very poor.....

I'm about to change my next reservation to a different hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank RoundtheWorldChad
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fair comments and we have changed your profile in our reception system to allocate a room in future on the higher floor. The parties are almost over and we have a new year staring soon.

Gneeral Manager
Fife Scotland
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Two night pre-cruise stopover before a cruise from Southampton.
We had never visited Portsmouth previously, wanted to visit new Mary Rose museum and Naval Dockyards.
Hotel very good, rooms and the most comfortable beds ever!
Enjoyed dinner in the hotel on both nights, don't know why so many residents were not using the restaurant. Food and service very good, slight complaint would be the fast clearance of all the tables and resetting for breakfast whilst we were just starting our dinner at just after 7pm.
Despite a wait for a table at breakfast times all the staff worked well as a team clearing up tables and getting residents seated quickly.
Will certainly return - well done

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comments and I have shared them with our Restaurant Team. A lot of our weekend customers use the local restaurants in Portsmouth and the 2 marina's we have on offer. During the week we have around 60% of the hotel guests using our restaurant, bar and room service.

hope to see you again soon,