“Worst customer service!”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I never stayed in the hotel. My partner bought me a spa day voucher at the hotel as it was apparently highly recommended on the site and was close by.

However, when we arrived we waited for a while to be acknowledged in the spa room. I showed them the email confirmation and voucher for the spa massage (which included a 30 minute massage of my choice and a free pass for a friend to use the spa facilities) that was booked months ago and they refused to give me any treatment and shooed us away!
We were really confused and said we paid for it and asked why we were refused any treatment?
They said we never had the right voucher and insisted we pay again or leave.

As this was for my birthday we paid for another treatment. I could not believe how rude and how disappointing their customer service was.

I asked to have a facial which was 30 minutes long and really over priced for what you get. The woman giving me the treatment rushed me to get changed and barged in when I was not ready. She was rude making the treatment awkward when it was meant to be relaxing. She rushed the facial and it was cut short by 10 minutes, just so she could go for lunch early!!

Will never go here every again for a treatment or to book a room to stay! Highly disappointing!

It's a shame you have to do a lot of research before you book for hotels or go to places in order to enjoy your day/night, yet high level of customer service is fundamental for any restaurant, shop, hotel etc!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coconut_260
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback and we apologise for any inconvenience and disappoinment this has caused. My leisure team has looked at their reservations the last few weeks and can't find this this reservation and without any name we can't look into the matter.
Could you please contact me personally at the hotel, so we can discuss this together and make an arrangement. We have great feedback on our team normally for our Helath and Beauty product and want to make up for we did not deliver on. Without you contacting me there is nothing we can do.

BJ Schreuder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Only stayed here for 2 nights which we were glad of. No atmosphere staff were pleasant enough but lacking something. Clean small room decent sleep but nothing else.Fortunately we spent most of our time off site.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest,

thank you for staying with us and for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the service and the bedrooms for a good nights sleep.
Unfortunately we are still in low season and the weekends are not very busy and therfore there are not too many guests around. Normally we have over 300 guests in house and I can assure you they create a good atmosphere in the bar and restaurant. I am glad you found things to do in Portsmouth.
Our lobby was completely renovated in 2009 for 1.2 million pounds and modernised and we offer 32MB free internet for the new generations. Please try us again in the spring or summer and you will see the difference.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I attended a Burns Night Ball at the Marriott Hotel on the 25 January. Don't get me wrong I had a lovely evening and enjoyed the company of great friends. Unfortunately the food was dire. I am lactose intolerant so I cannot eat milk or milk products. This is a medical diagnosis not a whim or self diagnosis as I become seriously unwell with only a minute measure . The hotel were contacted in advance although the date they were informed depends on who you spoke to, however I and the organisers of the event were assured that their chef could cater for me. To be honest I would have been surprised if they had said they could not as most restaurants from Macdonalds to Pizza Express and Jamie Oliver do not find this a problem. The first course they substituted fruit for the fixed menu. Fine. The main course which on the menu was braised brisket of beef and vegetables with potatoes gratin was substituted for mushroom risotto. This was a grey mess with a small helping of wilted greenery, turned black, on the top - to say it looked unappetising was an understatement. Other guests on the table also expressed surprise at the look of the dark lump on the plate.The waiter told me this was the lactose free substitute. In my experience the vast majority of mushroom risottos contain dairy - apart from the look of the dish I did not want to chance eating it. Why could I not have had beef with vegetables even if there was not substitute available for the potato gratin at least there would have been something for me to eat. After all lactose intolerance means I have the option of most fish, meat or egg dishes with vegetables so long as they are not cooked in milk or milk products - surely a Marriott chef would have known this. For dessert there was more fruit and when the cheese board and mints were put out the my husband asked if there was anything for me - we were offered more of the same fruit, with excuses they had only had 24 hours notice of my allergy. If the Marriott cannot be bothered to cope with what is a straight forward meal for someone with one of the most common allergies then they should inform their guests this is the case.

Room Tip: Do not eat here if you have an allergy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ElizabethBest

Dear Mrs. Best,

Thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor with regards to your food comments at a very successful charity event.
I would like to apologise for the inconvenience your menu caused. My Operations Manager has investigated what happened on the night and it seems that due to miscommunication you were not given the dish that the Executive Chef had specially made for you, which was the beef with new potatoes. By mistake this was not taken by the waiter, since we also had 3 vegan guests that night..
Just for information the mushroom risotto was a dish freshly prepared by our chef with Cepes mushrooms. The risotto was prepared without milk, cream and cheese which did affect the presentation of this dish.
I wished that you had mentioned this directly when it was served , since we could have changed it immediately for something else, since the beef was also ready for you.
Leaving it until you spoke to our Catering Supervisor later that evening, did not give us a chance to correct it.
Your alternative for the cheese dish after the dessert was misunderstood by the chef, since he thought you were not served the fruits and sorbet dish and told the waiter to serve it again.
We have received very positive feedback about our food that evening and the organiser was very pleased.
Normally we offer great flexibility in menus and diets , since we offer suggestions from our Restaurant and Lounge menu and I am really sorry you did not experience this due to a misunderstanding and a personal error.
I will ensure that we have better communication for the various diets during a function and the menu's will be discussed with our guests individually before service in future to be on the save side.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here a few weeks ago for my husband's birthday. I have to say, when you first see the hotel don't judge it too soon! The outside didn't give us great hopes, but once we were inside it had a great atmosphere and the rooms were lovely. Beds were perhaps the most comfortable I have ever stayed in!

The best part of our stay had to be how helpful the staff were. I mentioned on checkin that it was my husband's birthday and the already friendly receptionist (I think her name was Shayenne?) said that she would try and sort out something for us. Later that evening we had a lovely bottle of wine delivered to the room and it was very much appreciated. We also had the pleasure of talking to one of the other receptionists (Ryan?) who gave us some perfect directions and was very charming.

We ate in the restaurant and had a few drinks at the bar, both were of great quality, and again the service from the staff were brilliant (Lee and Nina?). Breakfast went very smoothly and it was perfect for a good refuel after using the pool.

We will definitely be staying again and I hope that your staff get the recognition they deserve (and that I actually have their names right). Thank you to everyone for making our weekend as special as I hoped it would be.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great feedback on your comments in the atmosphere and the great staff service. I have forwarded your comments to Sian, Lee and Nina and I am sure they will be pleased to read it. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed for three nights and this was my second time at this hotel.

I ordered pancakes and waffles off the breakfast menu during my stay and these were disappointing although the buffet was good.

The pool area is very cold not good for sitting around and relaxing. There is a lot of noise from the bar which you can hear in the pool because its all open plan.

Rooms were good, beds comfy - everything you needed.

We were disturbed by the fire alarm going off on our first night at 2.30am which was horrible. It was disappointing that there was no sign up apologising to the guests who had been inconvenienced.

I got a really good deal for this hotel, the rooms were good and the reception staff were very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and I appreciate your feedback. I have asked the chef to test the breakfast pancakes and waffles since they are made fresh to order each day.
We apologise for the inconvenience with the fire alarm. A group of guest fund it "funny" to set off the fire alarms twice that night by breaking the glass panels and my night team did their best to re-set the alarms and find out what group of people did this.
We will put a letter on the desk next time to apologise and thank you for the idea.
Unfortunately with the open plan there is very little what we can do with the noise from either side. We ask customers and children to keep their noise down as much as we can and we are working with our owners on a possible final solution, but this might take some time since it will be a big capital investment.

We hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My mother booked this hotel for her 60th birthday to celebrate with all the family 7 adults and 11 children! - so it included 7 bedrooms book for dinner bed and breakfast.
On arrival the reception staff were helpful, the rooms were lovely, ours over looked the restaurant from the 1st floor. They were clean and well presented. All our rooms where down the same corridor which was nice.
The pool was a bit small for the size of the hotel but the children enjoyed it - other than being told off for the noise volume from the bar area - They are children playing in a pool. The echos were not the fault of the children having fun but the "miserable" people in the bar. I will add they were not actually that noisy!
The first nights meal was good but the saturday night was fantastic thenks to CAROLINE the waitress that went above and beyond her postiton making it a very enjoyable celebration... THEN Sunday evening was awful!!! The staff had informed us that they were going to be cover as they had their late christmas party.
The staff that covered didnt know the menu (which was there excuse for such poor service!) We had informed them when seating that a few of us would need to leave fairly promptly after eating. An hour after being seated our starters finally arrived with exception to my mothers who had been forgotten about! It then took then another half hour to clear the plates and bring out the main. At this point it was 8.30 (we booked the table for 6.30) and my family needed to leave to travel back. All we had from the lady "in charge" that night was she apologised but she was making the best out of the situation of covering an unfamiliar resturant!
I would like to thank the staff for their efforts but feel let down by the final nights experience

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at our hotel over the weekend and we will also be in contact with your mother soon. We just have to investigate one more thing from Sunday Night.
We apologise for the inconvenience and the disappointment this farewell dinner caused.
I heard you had a great weekend, but this was unfortunate. Caroline has been thanked for her great service the evening before.
The supervisor in charge that night used to work for us before and now works at the Meon Valley, she know our hotel well. Also 2 of our own chefs were in the kitchen and stayed behind to look after all the restaurant guests. That evening we organised our own Christmas party and received help from a sister hotel. We will review the evening as a team and see what happeded in details and what we could have done better.
Thank you again for your feedback and we will discuss the rest with your mother.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Typical of a large hotel chain it has all the facilities that you may need on a short stay, but there is very little character i.e. large, clean and soulless. Good Location for central Portsmouth and its surrounding area. We were there just before Christmas and party season was in full swing with 2 parties the first night and 1 the second - if you want quiet night get a room as high as possible, and hopefully no drunk is banging doors etc at 2 am. (that's when the 'ballrooms' shut!). Do not expect fine dining in the restaurant, it is average but wholesome. The Bar is quaint, but as always pricey

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and I am sorry for the noise from the Christmas parties. We try to keep the noise down and keep all the guests on the same floor, but sometimes the party guests are a bit loud and we can ask them to keep it down, when they go to sleep and we monitor the guest floors.
I am sorry you did not rate our food that well. We have received a one AA Rosette for the quality for our food the last 3 years and in general this is very well received.
We hope to see you again soon and perhaps you can give the restaurant another chance and perhaps then you can see the quality we serve.

Best regards,