“Its good but costly”

Portsmouth Marriott Hotel
Ranked #17 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The Marriott is too costly if you compare the hotels of similar facilities in Portsmouth. IBM office is very near to it and hence it was convenient to me. My wife enjoyed the stay. It has a indoor swimming pool, spa, gym, sauna, steam. The internet is too costly. The restaurant and bar is good and has got a good service, but again the price is too high.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed 21 February 2010

Positives; the room was clean and well serviced with all you need for a comfy stay. The staff without exception were friendly and helpful. The breakfast bar offered a good and plentiful selection.
Improvements; children not allowed in the pool after 8pm meant our well behaved 13yr old couldn't have an evening swim with us, often also rendered the pool empty at this time. We had to swim hemmed in with toddlers. The food and drink is pricey but the service was very good.
Negatives; we had a noisey party, probably a wedding reception on the Saturday night, our room overlooking the smoking area meant we had loud drunks until 1am. These rooms could do better with sound proofing and a time limit for smokers to go outside.
Tips; if I had a choice, I would always choose an outside facing room (there was little motorway noise) over an internal facing room as I'm not sure how loud it would be overlooking the main bar/restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We stayed for a long weekend over valentines weekend, Our Room was a standard deluxe room with two double beds, lovely good quality bed linen, and six pillows on each bed!. The bathroom and room were very clean and good quality toiletries and tea and coffee facilities. We took our own wine and there were no problems asking for glasses. The mini bar in the room was useful( expensive but then it is in hotels). The breakfast room service was fab, with a full cooked breakfast and plenty of extras. The staff in this hotel were excellent, very friendly and willing to please. We ate in the restuarant on valentines night and the food was exellent. We spent friday night quite late in the bar in the company of bar man lee(exellent at cocktails) and good fun with it.

I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Although it pretends, this is not your US style Marriott, but an English version. For a start it is in a great location on Southampton Road at Cosham, a suburb of Portsmouth I guess, being about 6 miles from the old town and easily acessable by cab. Parking is always a problem in these old towns, but there is tons of it at the hotel.

With the odd exception, the staff mostly looked to be on holiday or inexperienced. I do wonder what happened to the old fashioned 'management by walking about'', which is what I was taught when I ran hotels. Those surveys are useless, but I guess chain hotels don't actually have what used to be hotel managers.

Everything worked OK, but if you expect US Marriott beds you will be disappointed as this hoptel hasthe standard English hard bed and lippow combination. In spite of low occupancy the corridors are noisy and I found later there are lots of people associated with HM Navy stay there, so drunken sailors are still about.

The food was surprisingly OK and I recommend the fish stew as excellent. The same tired old corporate wine list though. I do wish these hotels would leave their wine lists to an experienced local wholesaler rather than the big corporate distributors.

Anyhow, that's enough of a soap box for me.

In summary it's about the best their appears to be in Portsmouth. A bit pricey though for what is delivered. I hate paying £10 for internet access: it's a giant rip off.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank AlabamaMim
Reviewed 1 January 2010

We have just spent 4 night at this hotel and were impressed with the staff who were consistently helpful and friendly. The facilities were fine. We had two double beds and slept our 3 and 5 year old sons cross ways on one of them. We were on the second floor which meant we overlooked the "atrium" which contains the restaurant and swimming pool. We were worried that there would be a lot of noise, especially on New Year's Eve, but it was fine. We took advantage of the pool one afternoon which we all enjoyed, although our children were not allowed in the jacuzzi. We had no more than a couple of minutes wait to be seated for breakfast, and were delighted to find that they could supply soya milk for my wife. This is a first, we normally bring our own. They even did her a special omelette using soya milk for my wife.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank omegamale
Reviewed 4 December 2009

Nothing special, friendly staff, small but nice gym, but given the remote area it's one of the better hotels out there

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2009

Nice hotel - not great location but its ok if you know you're way around the city.

Very nice breakfast but average service

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
PompeyGM, General Manager at Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2009

Dear Ayonandola,

thank you for your second e-mail with a more detailed overview of services and suggestions for improvement. I have shared this with my team and I hope you will see the changes during your next visit.

best regards,