“dont stay”

Ranked #34 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“dont stay”
Reviewed 14 March 2014

worst place we have stayed in a long time first we get there they messed our room up family of 3 and gave us just a double we had to get a camp bed everything in the room was a mess trouser press tripped the fuse toilet you could not flush my daughter would not dare go to the loo and ended up with bad tummy as she would not use it they tried charging a 3 yr old £7 for breakfast what i thought was wrong big time told then she can eat of my plate we stayed there 4 days and it was wrong ... but i do have too say the rest of the place was great good foo and everything the hotel crap and the breakfast shocking and if you dot drive you are buggered

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank zig975

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Where to start, I wasn't expecting luxury as know it's a budget hotel, but cleanliness is something that is expected!
Mould all up the windows and in bathroom, cables out the wall, corridors smelt damp with peeling paper. Really disgusting left feeling dirty

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Not cleaned between us and last guest wall paper peeling and carpets stained wrappers left in draws and managements attitude totally stinks asked for refund as recked our valentines spiders in room and painting in room bodged also seal around bath coming away comfy bed but that's the only plus

• Stayed February 2014
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

I have just read some reviews, but what do you want for the cost. Really its just a contractors gaff. Crown Fire Services Ltd. Working in Portsmouth.. I found the beds comfy, room tidy, tv works and powerful shower, also has a bath... Breakfast fast included and was nice at that too...

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ThornleyGroupUk
saltash
Reviewed 26 January 2014

How can i put it as the title goes ...do not waste your cash on this place i was pleasantly surprised by the low level yellow nicotine laden lighting units leading to the rooms. In a very retro feel i thought ohh pleasant. Then upon entering the room i noticed the high level of decoration only altered by the use of toothpaste to fill the holes and scrapes on the walls followed by the obligatory wipe of dust on all that was around...but i thought id ignore it as it was only for one night.
Although when i went into the restaurant and it being so empty may have been a warning...It was not until the next morning when the full horror of this grime infested haven hit me.. luckily i left the best bit till last the bathroom...roughly decorated with tiles only imported from tiles r us the other decade , smothered in all kinds of textures i didn't want to look at then there was the attractive draped across the edge of the bath - mat ohhh dear i will post a photo literally made me gag and the stains on the floor made me want to put my shoes back on.....all in all this is the worst £80 my wallet has had to give out .. if you want cheap clean accommodation then look else where i wouldn't let my dog (if i had one ) stay here...

Room Tip: not room 129
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Perfect if you want something out of desperation and cheap!
Dirty rooms, holes in floor, ripped wallpaper all over the place, TV but no remote control, wifi does not work.
Sachet coffee at breakfast and watered down orange juice.
Really not impressed

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My partner and I booked in here via LateRooms.com as our ferry from Plymouth had been cancelled due to storms so we were offered the alternative to sail from Portsmouth early the following morning. I rang the hotel about 5pm to say we would be arriving in a few hours and to ask what time the restaurant was open until. I was told food orders were taken up until 10pm. So we set off and decided on this basis to not stop for a meal on the way. When we arrived at about 9.40pm we were informed that the restaurant had closed at 9pm as they had been very busy and had run out of food! We had to run to the only other eatery in the area which also closed at 10pm. Not the receptionist's fault they ran out of food but perhaps on the phone they might have warned us that at busy times they might be likely to close earlier than normal!
I was looking forward to a relaxing soak in the bath but didn't fancy either bath or shower as there were at least 6 hairs in the bath plus lots of black bits - looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly nor recently. I manage a B&B and would be mortified if our baths and showers were full of hairs as this one was.
We were told we could not go down for Breakfast To Go as we needed to eat at 6.30am and seated breakfast was from 7am. We were offered continental breakfast in our room. This was supposed to arrive at 6.30am but arrived at least 15 mins early so I was not dressed when it came. They had included two small boxes of Cornflakes, no option at all so my partner who doesn't like cornflakes had to miss out on cereal. I think there were a couple of bits of toast as well as two apples and a small amount of orange juice; but as I don't eat toast I just had both cornflakes. Very scanty breakfast. Not sure where the "continental" came in as there was no ham, cheese nor croissants.
Bed was comfortable, lovely mattress, comfy pillows and I did have a good night's sleep. Car park is ample and free which was one reason why we chose this hotel as we didn't want to have to park a car a long way away in an unknown town in the rain.
I would not visit again. Not sure how many stars this has but I give it only one for 'cleanliness'.

Room Tip: Lots of ground floor rooms, useful if you have luggage to lug to the room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple