“You get what you pay for”
Review of Keppels Head

and 1 more site!
Keppels Head
Ranked #30 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a pretty good idea of what this hotel was going to be like before I arrived, so fortunately I was prepared for what I found. I was attending a wedding on HMS Warrior (barely 100m away), so all I really needed was somewhere to lay my head in the early hours.

Positives: Brilliant location, friendly and helpful staff, convenient and free parking. That was what I wanted.

Negatives: This hotel is very TIRED and down at heel. It could do with a total refurb and good clean. Even the furniture was hanging at angles and had seen much better days. My pillows were decidedly flat, and I could hear people talking, phones vibrating and doors banging quite late into the night. I'm a relatively light sleeper, so I'd have been quite cross if I'd been using the hotel for work or if I had kids. I didn't use the shower, so I can't comment on that.

Breakfast was ok, with cereal, toast and some cooked options.

For all the negatives, I knew that it was going to be like this, so I can't complain too much. The location really is superb, and the attitude of the staff (from the little interaction I had with them) was excellent. I wouldn't want to stay here more than one night, though, and I've stayed at cheaper places that are rather nicer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Thank Phobos7 .
There are newer reviews for Keppels Head

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Rather than try and survive an early morning thrash down motorways I booked into this hotel so I could have an easier journey the night before. It was well worth it. From the moment of arriving in the evening I was looked after by a helpful and friendly member of staff.

This is a nice hotel. Apparently it is a very old building and this is reflected in the construction. Floors that creak, a lift which does not zoom you skyward at high speed, a quiet bar and a dining room for breakfast which would not have been out of place in the Raj.

Breakfast was well worth having here, with a chef who came out to see just who he was preparing for - not one of the modern buffet arrangements for a cooked breakfast where things might stay hot.

A bonus was the free car parking because this hotel is actually on the Hard, the road which runs from the Historic Dockyard to the Gun Wharf Quays complex. It is directly opposite the bus station, railway station and entrance to the small ferries, an ideal location, to my mind, for tourists. Needless to say there was some noise in such a location but nothing like the foghorn which was sounded on one of the ships very early one morning.

If I was going to quibble I would say the top floor rooms were too hot but it was hot at that time anyway.

So all I really do wish is that there was a bath mat and that the bath towel was slightly larger.

However, that won't stop me trying to book a room there again, the next time I am in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave699
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel shows it's age, but that is all the part of is charm. Yes, the floor creaked, but it was clean, the staff were friendly, and the breakfast was good. We also liked the location. Almost right on the water. If you like history, you will enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronda M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

That Staff åt the fantasticly located Hotel , must be some of the Most friendly and helpfull people i Have has the pleasure to meet.the Hotel is located very near the historic dockyards and Isle of wight ferry port , the building is old and Beautiful , and the rooms are large and spacious,Therese is also Good secure parning too , i Would just like thank Dave ,John and glynn for their kindness , and helpfull with our stranded motorbike.

2  Thank terry855
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Ghastly hotel, unclean, antiquated facilites and bedroom furniture falling apart. An antique lift that you took your life in your hands entering. disgusting bathroom.
having said that, free parking, well they need to tempt you with something, and the closeness to the dockyard and shops was a plus.
no way i would ever stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Terry63033
Reviewed 2 June 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, I was pretty impressed it is a.lovely old building, The gentleman serving at the time stood behind the gorgeous wooden counter with the old brass bell. We booked in and just behind him was a wall that turned out to be a door where he collected our key, . We went up a grand staircase into a massive suite. There was a bed, and a large sofa, you needed to walk another twenty strides at least to the round table and chairs this room is massive with fantastic high ceilings.. We sat by the window with our coffee we were overlooking the bus station and the Harbour , I could not hear any noise from the road even though it was busy, nice and close for our trip across to the Isle Of Wight the next day. Also walking distance from restaurants for our evening meal The bathroom had everything we needed but looking closer it did look tired and needs a bit of tender love and care.
The breakfast room was lovely with original coving fruit and bunches of grapes instead of being plain coving surrounded the high ceilings. The breakfast was lovely and everything you could want. We had a parking area just to the side of the hotel, the gentleman gave us a ticket to say we could park there , which was great as it is s difficult to find parking for free anywhere in the area. All in all we had a lovely stay even though it was for only one night, great location and lovely staff.

3  Thank Kay R
Reviewed 29 May 2014

the keppels head hotel its location was good for visiting the dockyards and gunwharf quays, shopping centre it had its own free parking , the rooms were very dated and i felt they needed a bit of soap and water on the plus side friendly staff and a good breakfast and close to bus,train,ferry.

1  Thank suemick78