“Not The Best”

and 1 more site!
Keppels Head
Ranked #30 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a bank holiday weekend while we were doing the Historic Dockyard sights. The reason we chose this hotel was for it's great proximity to everything, two minutes walk to the Dockyard and Gunwharf Quays. The hotel itself was a bit of a disappointment. The decor was beyond old fashioned, the furnishings were old and dirty, and the lift is like something from the Tower of Terror. The bathroom was however okay and the breakfast was lovely, lots of choice. The redeeming feature of this hotel is the view from the windows at the front. If you don't have a front facing window there will not be much to enjoy about your stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We chose this hotel because of its' location, car park, & reviews on Tripadvisor.
We were not dissapointed.
The staff were extremely helpful & friendly with lots of advice on local facilities when asked.
The overall impression of our room was clean & comfortable but tired & in need of some tlc..
Nevertheless, the dining room is magnificent & the bar comfortable & interesting.
If you like historical buildings, this is the place for you!
Breakfast was excellent with great service & just to eat in that dining room was a treat.
Would recommend if you can see past the dated room decor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gooner1972
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I had a pretty good idea of what this hotel was going to be like before I arrived, so fortunately I was prepared for what I found. I was attending a wedding on HMS Warrior (barely 100m away), so all I really needed was somewhere to lay my head in the early hours.

Positives: Brilliant location, friendly and helpful staff, convenient and free parking. That was what I wanted.

Negatives: This hotel is very TIRED and down at heel. It could do with a total refurb and good clean. Even the furniture was hanging at angles and had seen much better days. My pillows were decidedly flat, and I could hear people talking, phones vibrating and doors banging quite late into the night. I'm a relatively light sleeper, so I'd have been quite cross if I'd been using the hotel for work or if I had kids. I didn't use the shower, so I can't comment on that.

Breakfast was ok, with cereal, toast and some cooked options.

For all the negatives, I knew that it was going to be like this, so I can't complain too much. The location really is superb, and the attitude of the staff (from the little interaction I had with them) was excellent. I wouldn't want to stay here more than one night, though, and I've stayed at cheaper places that are rather nicer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Thank Phobos7 .
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Rather than try and survive an early morning thrash down motorways I booked into this hotel so I could have an easier journey the night before. It was well worth it. From the moment of arriving in the evening I was looked after by a helpful and friendly member of staff.

This is a nice hotel. Apparently it is a very old building and this is reflected in the construction. Floors that creak, a lift which does not zoom you skyward at high speed, a quiet bar and a dining room for breakfast which would not have been out of place in the Raj.

Breakfast was well worth having here, with a chef who came out to see just who he was preparing for - not one of the modern buffet arrangements for a cooked breakfast where things might stay hot.

A bonus was the free car parking because this hotel is actually on the Hard, the road which runs from the Historic Dockyard to the Gun Wharf Quays complex. It is directly opposite the bus station, railway station and entrance to the small ferries, an ideal location, to my mind, for tourists. Needless to say there was some noise in such a location but nothing like the foghorn which was sounded on one of the ships very early one morning.

If I was going to quibble I would say the top floor rooms were too hot but it was hot at that time anyway.

So all I really do wish is that there was a bath mat and that the bath towel was slightly larger.

However, that won't stop me trying to book a room there again, the next time I am in Portsmouth.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dave699
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel shows it's age, but that is all the part of is charm. Yes, the floor creaked, but it was clean, the staff were friendly, and the breakfast was good. We also liked the location. Almost right on the water. If you like history, you will enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ronda M
Reviewed 4 June 2014

That Staff åt the fantasticly located Hotel , must be some of the Most friendly and helpfull people i Have has the pleasure to meet.the Hotel is located very near the historic dockyards and Isle of wight ferry port , the building is old and Beautiful , and the rooms are large and spacious,Therese is also Good secure parning too , i Would just like thank Dave ,John and glynn for their kindness , and helpfull with our stranded motorbike.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank terry855
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Ghastly hotel, unclean, antiquated facilites and bedroom furniture falling apart. An antique lift that you took your life in your hands entering. disgusting bathroom.
having said that, free parking, well they need to tempt you with something, and the closeness to the dockyard and shops was a plus.
no way i would ever stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple