“Close enough to the real deal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Nara Sushi

Nara Sushi
Ranked #329 of 642 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Portsmouth, UK
“Close enough to the real deal!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012 via mobile

I really like this place... It's very understated, the service is impeccable and the food is close enough to what we ate in Japan! It makes yo sushi look like the Japanese version of McDonalds! Get over the raw fish bit, japanese cuisine has so much more to offer...

Saltash, United Kingdom
“Top notch Sushi!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Absolutely brilliant sushi, at a really reasonable price. We went in on a Saturday night and we were the only people in there, such a shame but unfortunately I think it is because it is situated at the opposite end of Albert road to where all of the other restaurants are. Anyone looking for top notch sushi should try here!

Visited March 2012
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Japanese food - beats Sakura!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have only discovered the delights of Japanese cuisine in the last few years, however we are lucky to have a couple of good places for this food in a small city. Yo! Sushi is dire in comparison and simply does not stand up to scrutiny compared to this place or Sakura.

New in Albert Road Nara Sushi - for those who know the area - is where there used to be a small amusement arcade. An externally bland and slightly cheap looking exterior that has not yet been updated to be in keeping with the the new, shiny and comfortable interior.

I bought a take away at lunch time to take back to the office for myself and a colleague and it was worth the 15 minute wait. Excellent fresh sushi; lots of varieties to choose from; tasty ingredients; handsomely presented and some of the best chicken gyoza I've had the pleasure to eat so far!

This is not an expensive option, and is worth every penny we paid. Around £11 for twelve sushi of various types, edamame and the gyoza. Highly recommended and I will definitely be back again repeatedly!

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank old_fashioned_chair
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Sushi”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Eldest grandson likes Sushi, I cant get over the 'its raw' bit

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“For a relaxed dining experience, quiet and great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We first visited Nara for a lunch and the place was empty. Not even a staff to be seen and there were cash left in the tips bowl (its Portsmouth!!!). We waited, even shouted 'Hello?' few times until my husband suggested we go to Sakura (another Japanese restaurant located on the same road). We left but after a couple meters away I insisted that I wanted to try this restaurant. I found the staff, apparently cleaning the loo. From the way she said it, she implied that the previous customer made a mess there. Not a good start but we stayed and were a bit worried with the fact that we were the only customer.

I am so glad that we did stay! Service was fantastic. The waitress knows how to be attentive without being intrusive. We had a good time, really enjoyed ourselves. The portion size was massive, when our food came out we struggled finishing half of them even though; 1. Food was delicious, 2. We were hungry, 3. I was pregnant with specific cravings for Japanese food!!! They even had a clean fresh towels in the ladies' room.

We came back again the second time for weekend lunch, this time the place was full but not packed (no need to book table). The same waitress waited for us whilst training a new staff and she remembers us-even pointed out that where we sat the last time we were there.

Food was great, duck sushi is their specialty-my husband (duck lover) recommends it. I don't like duck but it tastes quite good to me. Price is cheap. Paid £30 for both of us including drinks. Service was fantastic. We are converted.

• Visited January 2012