“Very pleasant two day stay.”
Review of Seacrest Hotel

Seacrest Hotel
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Ely, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant two day stay.”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I traveled with a party of 21 bowlers, we were in Portsmouth to play the Victory bowls club, many of my fellow travelers had stayed before and were complimentary regarding the hotel. I have to agree with them, the welcome was genuine and after quickly settling into our clean and adequately furnished rooms we were soon visiting the well stocked bar and had a wonderful reception from the staff there. The following morning (Saturday) the full English breakfast was superb with the tastiest bacon and sausage I've had for a long time. The beds were very comfortable and everything in the room worked fine. After another full English on Sunday, sadly it was time to head for another game of bowls then home. Enjoyed the stay and will definitely visit again next time we bowl in two years time. A special mention for Anna the lady who looked after us so well.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view on the second floor or above, great views to the Isle Of Wight.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
It is always a pleasure looking after your Bowls team when you visit Portsmouth. Our bacon and sausages are sourced from our local butcher who has an excellent reputation (see them on facebook - Portsmouth Hotel). We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you again in 2016. Thank you for your lovely review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

This was the second time my girlfriend and I have stayed at this hotel. It was just as good as the last and more pleasing on the eye with the recent refurbishments. Staff are really friendly and breakfast was great. Would go back again. Good value for money.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
It is nice to hear that you liked our Hotel so much you came back again. The refurb is almost complete now and we are able to offer 22 fully refurbished rooms with the rest to follow shortly. We look forward to welcoming you back again and thank you for your review.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my two sons for one night and really enjoyed this lovely place. We had a sea view room which was recently refurbished. The only down side was there was a very strong smell of fresh paint and the bathroom door didn't close properly. We have been visiting Portsmouth/Southsea for the past few years and wish we had known about this place sooner. Very tasty breakfast, very nicely cooked which we all enjoyed. Would stay here again as it has a lovely cosy,homely feel.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for your kind review. You were the first Guest staying in our newly refurbished family room, so I apologise for the smell of fresh new paint, which seems to take a week or so to go off. However, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay and although your son has already graduated, nevertheless, hope you may come back again one day.
Ana Tudor, GM
Melbourne
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely little hotel with friendly and welcoming staff. A little worn in places though they are in the midst of a renovation - in the room next door to ours I think as we were well aware of the hammering etc! I believe the renovations will be complete in the next few weeks.
Parking permits are provided for on street parking. If you arrive back late, as we did one night, finding a spot can be a bit of a challenge.
Breakfast was terrific. My favourite was the porridge I think.
We stayed in both a sea view room and one of the other smaller rooms toward the rear of the hotel. Both rooms had been renovated - the sea view would be my recommendation as the other was very small and looked out onto a car park in the back street. Wifi in each room worked well.
The rooms were a bit warm (for me to say this is something as I usually feel the cold terribly!). Even with the heater in the room off it was very warm.
There is a lovely little bar where we enjoyed a nice whisky before bed.
We would stay here again, definitely in a sea view room and we would have the porridge!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
We are so sorry you were disturbed during your stay with us. The main Hotel is now finished and we are able to offer 18 brand new bedrooms with fresh bright new bathrooms to our Guests. The Builders have been banned from the main Hotel now and are working as fast as they can between the hours of 9.30 and 4.00 pm on a Monday to Friday basis, well away from the guest accommodation in use, in order to finish the last 6 rooms. Just the staircases to go and then hey presto - the old girl will be looking her Sunday best!

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and for choosing to stay at the Seacrest, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return one day.
maidenhead
Reviewed 22 March 2014

As soon as we walked through the front door we knew we had made the right decision. The welcome that we received was lovely, the hotel reception was clean, new ( whilst still maintaining the character of the building), we were made to feel like we were the only guests as the welcome was so personal. All the staff made a fuss of our daughter (18months) knowing her name and saying hello every time they saw her. This might not sound a lot but it made us feel special. We had a superior double room (7) with a sea view and had requested a travel cot, the room was immaculate, a huge double bed, plenty of space and characterful furniture. The travel cot was provided along with a duvet and blanket for our daughter (again a little touch which meant a lot). We had a great nights sleep .... Something you can't always guarantee with a baby in the same room! But the comfort of the room, space and temperature helped to ensure that this was possible. Breakfast was lovely, we had the full English and the sausages were full of flavour. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff at the hotel and the refurbishments mean that this I am sure that this is being brought back to its original splendour. All the staff are passionate about providing excellent service and clearly love the hotel and the guests. We met Antoinette and Geoffrey (the owners) and again without their passion the hotel wouldn't be half of what it is... We will definitely be back and cannot recommend the hotel enough. Thank you

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Geoffrey and Antoinette came by the Hotel to say goodbye to you both and Ruby, but you had just left. They hoped you had had a good day on the isle of Wight and send their best wishes to you. It just remains for me to say all the staff at the Hotel are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, especially Ruby, who is a dear little girl, and we certainly look forward to welcoming you here again.
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2014

What a lovely welcome we received. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable with TV & DVD player. The brand new bathroom had an amazingly top-notch shower. The full english breakfast was excellent and my egg was cooked to perfection. Absolutely wonderful - we loved it and will be going again - and a huge 'thank you' to the dedicated staff :-)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emelle19
Thank you for choosing the Seacrest to stay in for you visit to Portsmouth. It was a pleasure to welcome you, and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. We very much look forward to welcoming you again, and thank you for taking the time to record your kind comments.
Devon
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel is being refurbished, I arrived with a friend who suffers with such severe allergies, she was having an operation a few days after our visit. After we checked into our room, there were strong paint fumes and fumes from new carpet, which is fine for the average person but we had no warning and were not made aware of this on booking or checking in. Within 5 minutes, my friends allergies began acting up which led to us asking the receptionist if we could be moved or if there was anything that could be done, after being told the hotel was fully booked and there was no alternative, we asked for a refund as my friend could not risk the reaction from the conditions in the room affecting her operation. This was refused, after discussing with the receptionist who refused us being able to speak to the manager, we eventually were able to reach the manager on the phone who was rude, shouted at me to the point I had to ask her to stop and accused me of only wanting a refund so I could spend my money on other things. This went on for about an hour before leaving with the result that a refund would not be able to be arranged until Monday (we were due to stay on a Saturday night). They then did not contact me and when I was finally able to get through to them on Tuesday, the same argument arose, with the same foul attitude and a refusal of a refund, they insisted they were no longer refurbishing as was competed at christmas and insinuated we were making it up, despite the manager having made a comment on trip advisor a week ago saying they were hoping to finish refurbishments in April.

I have stayed in many hotels, and have worked in them for 8 years and have never been treated in such a disgusting manner. The owner is still refusing me a refund or to deal with my complaint in a professional manner. I feel extremely let down and shocked that a manager would behave in this way and the owner would take this attitude. At no time do I feel that I was treated in the way that I would expect as a paying customer.

In light of this, I would definitely not be recommending this place and will most definitely not be visiting again!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Sarah L
Ana-Marie T, General Manager at Seacrest Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
The Seacrest Hotel comprises two adjoining buildings. Refurbishment of the rooms in the main wing has now been completed over two weeks ago, and the builders are currently working in the second wing, where we have stopped letting all rooms, except one until 30th March, and is far away from the room you were allocated.

“They then did not contact me and when I was finally able to get through to them on Tuesday, the same argument arose, with the same foul attitude and a refusal of a refund, they insisted they were no longer refurbishing as was competed at Christmas and insinuated we were making it up, despite the manager having made a comment on trip advisor a week ago saying they were hoping to finish refurbishments in April.”

We felt there was no point speaking to you on the Monday and instead sent you a letter, posted first class that day, setting out our position. It was your mother who telephoned the Hotel on Tuesday and spoke to our Proprietress, so why would you say it was you? The proprietress did not tell your mother the Refurbishment was completed at Christmas, she said Room 6 was completed at Christmas, this being the room allocated to you.

There are three inconsistencies in the first paragraph of your Review, and so many more to follow, that I am unable to highlight them all.

You booked a room for the 15th March as you and your friend were going to a party in Portsmouth that evening. The room allocated to you (Room 6) was refurbished before the Christmas break and came on stream some ten weeks ago. During this period the room has been occupied for a total of 48 nights. We had not been informed at the time of booking, that your friend had “severe allergies” and was undergoing a major 6 hour operation on her sinuses on the Monday after her Saturday night stay at the Seacrest; and as the room had been in circulation for ten weeks and no one had ever complained of any fumes, why would we mention anything? You yourself say that the room was fine for average people but not for your friend with her severe condition. (I would like to point out here that you and your mother both said that you could not smell anything in the room , but said that something, you didn’t know what, had set off your friends' sinuses. This is the first we have heard of any mention of “strong paint fumes”). The room has been occupied almost every night since this incident and no-one has complained of this room since.

It was after 6.00pm when you decided to check out, and our Duty Manager, who does not have the authority to refund money, informed you that the problem would be resolved on Monday when the General Manager returned to work, it being her weekend off. This was not acceptable to you, so the Duty Manager rang our GM in London, where she was attending a family wedding from the Hotel phone which was passed to you to enable you to speak with her. This is very different from your “after discussing with the Receptionist who refused us to speak with the Manager, we were eventually able to reach the Manager on the phone”. Why would you put it like that? The Manager also informed you that she would resolve the matter on Monday when she returned to the Hotel. This still, was unacceptable to you, so you then phoned your mother, an extremely irrational and aggressive lady who worsened an already bad situation by ripping into our Duty Manageress for no reason at all. Throughout this unfolding drama, your poor friend, who looked ill on arrival, sat quietly in a chair saying nothing.

Our decision not to refund is based on the following: The Hotel operates a 48 hour cancellation policy. You were therefore able to cancel your booking after you saw the Trip Advisor reviews which mention the Hotel refurbishment. Had you done so, even on the day of the booking, we would have honoured the cancellation as we could have then re let the room. (Many times over). As you were the only party in possession of the full facts, (you did not inform us of your friends’ severe allergies), the onus was on you to cancel in good time, not to wait until after 6.00pm that evening when the Hotel had no chance of re-letting the room and re-couping the loss made through you poor judgement.

We understand that you and your friend did not stay in Portsmouth that night and did not attend the party, which would seem to us to be the sensible thing to do, given the seriousness of her condition and her imminent operation. It is regrettable that this wise decision was not reached earlier.

Amongst the many threats and insults made by you and your mother, you told us that if we did not refund your payment, you would put a bad review on Trip Advisor. Given that you are in the Hospitality trade and that you are aware of the harm these reports do, you should be ashamed of yourself, having concocted the worst review you possibly could, with only a nod to the truth.

We stand by our original decision not to refund your payment and it only remains for us to convey our best wishes to your friend and hope that her operation was a success.