“Big disappointment!!”

Price range: US$13 - US$28
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: JAMIE’S ITALIAN Jamie’s Italian is a contemporary and informal restaurant with a menu that reflects Jamie Oliver’s passion for authentic Italian cooking, delivered with his own unique twist on classic recipes. Beautiful rustic dishes are created using carefully sourced, higher-welfare ingredients for the best flavour, but still at great value. This is a relaxed, affordable and accessible environment where the style, atmosphere and menu can be easily adapted to suit any occasion. KNOWN FOR Child friendly; great value, quick lunch; special occasions; group bookings, party planning.
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

My sister had booked this to celebrate my 40th birthday. We had thought as a family it would be a treat to 'buy into the Jamie experience' unfortunately the actual experience could not have been further from the truth. The restaurant was described as nautically themed when in fact it felt very industrial with metal grids placed to section off areas. A large aircraft hanger came to mind and with it the same acoustics. There was a strong smell of sewerage at intervals which was very off putting. The restaurant was busy and as such although our waiter was friendly and polite was very limited in how attentive he could be. This was unfortunate when our drinks arrived after our meal. The starters were ok, basic and not great quality or flavours but passable. It was our main courses that really let us all down. Pasta with big lumps of fat and gristle and basic lamb with was described as something a lot more elaborate than a cutlet and yoghurt. We were left hungry but couldn't have stayed for dessert due to the time limit breaching on our table booking.
The toilets were unclean and smelly and so was the restaurant. It reminded me of a bad fast food outlet.
We did complain and received an apology and 50% off our bill but that paled into insignificance as we won't get the time as a family to celebrate back in an environment that would have been fitting. Jamie please do something!

1  Thank Rydegal30

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Some of my food was very nice, other bits were a chore to eat. Service was patchy but again ok. The interior was cool but table and cutlery could have been cleaner. All in all i would go again but not what I was expecting. (Still better than nandos)

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Five of us went for lunch after my brother's graduation. Had tasty crispy squid to start, a nice pulled pork pasta from the specials board and the 'epic' brownie which was indeed epic. Also had a very nice bottle of sauvignon. Pasta dish was a tad watery for my liking but otherwise, really good food. Service was so so. Waited about 30 mins after starters for our mains and other tables seemed to get their food much quicker despite coming very early (about 12.30). Waiter at our table was very attentive despite being a little pompous.
Okay value for money, about what you'd expect for £12/13 mains.
Would recommend if you're looking for a decent Italian in Portsmouth with decent wines.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The very simple dish, pasta with tomato sauce was tasteless and the only bright side on this plate was the fresh basil which made it bearable...and the pavlova sounds great and lush on the menu but a real dissapointment...I give it so many stars only cause Jamie Olivers books are an inspiration to me...not worth the price...or a second visit

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

I live in southsea and like a walk down to gunwharf ! I have visited here a couple of times with my 20 month old daughter for lunch and it has been fantastic! Colouring is given to kids and the children's food is wonderful and such good value . Very impressed. Also is the best coffee I have had in gunwharf ! Always a bonus! We will b back! Also the staff have always been far from "slow or rude " as said in other reviews , I thoroughly recommend .