“Just missed”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I have just spent four days at this hotel. The room was on the second floor with a sea view and I must say it is one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in.The staff were extremely polite and efficient .the few things that let it down were the free wifi, which was almost none existent and the television only having bizarre channels.The tea and coffee in the room was also bizarre that they only put biscuits for one when there was clearly two people in the room. I will be returning next year I hope they have sorted these niggly problems out and I think it would also be beneficial if they reduced the price of their menu, to get more customers in to the restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 September 2013

great comfort and nice class for the average traveller and more for the up-classic one. the food was excellent and service was perfect ,Nice decor (naval theme ) in the main lobby, butiful ship sculputre

Room Tip: its close to the habord attractions , ferry and hover craft comapny if you wnat to cross over to fra...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

my Wife and I stayed here for 2 nights in August and it was worth every penny, lovely rooms, friendly staff and a gret breakfast need i say more. the bar staff where friendly and the drinks in the hotel bar are average price.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

After my last visit in May when I was not charged for parking - they have subsequently changed this system.
The system used to consist of parking, giving your registration number details to reception and your parking was free as long as you were dining in their restaurant. You now have to park, walk to reception, pay them £5 for a permit, walk back to your car to display it, then walk back to the hotel restaurant to have your meal.
As you leave they give you £2 back - therefore charging you £3 to park you car.

Who on earth devised such a ridiculous and customer unfriendly system??!! If I am dining in their restaurant I don't expect to be charged to park in their car park or expected to walk unnecessarily to and from my car and the hotel.
My return visit was only a few weeks after my last visit and review. I wanted to update others about this at a much earlier stage but TA has a policy of not allowing you to review the same establishment twice within a three month time-span. So this was the first opportunity I had.

They have really shot themselves in the foot. I shall not be returning or recommending

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Arthur_Tash
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed here last weekend, when we arrived the young lady on reception was very good. We arrived before check in time however she gave us our car park permit. We then went for a walk around until check in. There was a kite festival on that weekend it was brill. We then went back to the hotel and had lunch in the duke's bar, we had the veggie sharing platter. It was excellent. We then went to check in to be told that they could not find our booking that we made with BOOKING.COM. However they did still have 1 room left, which for us was an upgrade from the type of room we had booked. Room (224).We had booked a sea view room. This room is one of they best room's (126), we could not believe the size of the room so much space and lovely views on both side and front windows of the sea. We were only charged the same price as what the (224) would of cost us. Breakfast the next morning was fantastic, there is some thing for everyone, the staff at this hotel can not do enough for you, they are all so helpful. Thank you for a great stay keep up the great work that you all do.

Room Tip: Room 126 is fab
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was recently privileged to hold my 70th Birthday dinner on HMS Victory, Lord Nelson's Flagship at the battle of Trafalgar. I organised accommodation for seventy guests at the Queens Hotel and I am delighted to say that I have received good reports from all.
I did visit the hotel on two prior occasions to organise accommodation and must say I received their full cooperation. I should add the hotel did have a function of its own on the same day and from what I obseverd everyone appeared happy.
The hotel is ideally situated close to the waterfront at Southsea with its own well kept garden area which on a summer's day was most pleasant with drinks from the hotel bar. The hotel has two bars and both were serviced by very friendly staff. We had breakfast in the main dining area which offered an excellent choice of hot and cold food.
Dinner in the side bar was very pleasent and the food was good. The menu was not extensive but close by in the adjacent streets there were many eating places to meet every demand.
Rooms were in keeping with a hotel dating back to the grand Edwardian era but modernised to a very reasonable standard. The hotel foyer is very impressive with grandeur of a bygone age.
The management s to be congratulated in its choice of staff all of whom went out of their way to be helpful.
It should be remembered that this is a period hotel which in areas is showing signs of its age. Having said that I believe I received very good value for money and would have no hestitation in my recommendation for the hotel as a short to medium stay in a very pleasant part of town. It is not a modern poncy hotel but one reflecting a time when style and service counted.
I would certainly return to the Queens on a return visit from New Zealand.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We were holidaying in Southsea and called in here for a late lunch. The hotel needs a serious amount of money spent on it, but we ordered light bites from the menu, sat in the garden and had the best afternoon. The food was plentiful, tasted wonderful and was a complete surprise given the hotel, we were delighted. It was coupled by great service and sunshine all afternoon long, we stayed for over three hours over lunch, thank you!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family