“You must stay here”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed for two nights,at the weekend, and don't normally bother with hotel reviews but I felt I had to as the overall experience was exceptional. From the moment I walked through the door of this elegant Edwardian Hotel the staff went out of their way to ensure that I had a good experience.

I have never stayed in an hotel where ALL the staff were cheerful friendly smiling and helpful, and I mean all staff including chambermaids and cleaners.

I stayed in a single room which was warm, had a comfortable bed, was well decorated and spotlessly clean.

I had one meal in the restaurant and the food was excellent, the breakfast menu was extensive fresh and well cooked with friendly attentive service. I took advantage of buying a £40 food and beverage voucher for £35.

I used the Dukes bar, a little too much I think, and it is an ideal place to meet friends in comfortable surroundings.

Unfortunately the weather was atrocious so I did not get to take full advantage of it's superb location overlooking the Solent.

I traveled there by train and the hotel is just a short taxi ride from Portsmouth Harbour station.

I will certainly be returning to this gem of an hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I went along with my family because we wanted Sunday lunch but not a "pub lunch". We hadn't booked and the restaurant was busy but the Manager, Melanie, was very accommodating. There was a bit of a queue but we were enjoying the atmosphere. When we got our food it was first rate: The selection, quality, quantity (my son asked for extra) and the service was perhaps the best I've known. Would recommend in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 January 2014

A Sunday lunch reservation for four, so why are we taken to a table for three and not the next which is set for four? No way to avoid sitting directly in full sun, so a rather sweaty lunch and lots of head moving to avoid a headache. Starters were small portions, nicely presented but very little flavour. The carvery was quite good, well cooked meat and varied choice of vegetables, but had to wait a long time due to the constant long queues. Drinks were good and well presented. The hotel obviously has a long history and some lovely architectural features, pity the table wobbled and fixtures and fittings were rather bashed about and requiring decorating. Having said the above, I might return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We had the most amazing weekend here, fabulous staff very friendly and welcoming. Very proud looking hotel, with a spectacular view of the waterfront. Breakfast was of excellent quality. Already planning when next to book.

Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 20 January 2014

OK the place needs a bit of updating/refurb mainly on the outside in places. We stayed there last week for 3 nights (going back this week)and had a lovely time. The staff on reception couldn't have been more helpful,friendly and efficient. Our room(standard double) was absolutely fine,spotless. Breakfast staff were great,nothing was too much trouble,we even had eggs cooked to order on one day. This hotel is an iconic part of Southsea/Portsmouth and is an hotel of yesterday/today rather than tomorrow. Do we really want to stay in a place with no soul!! I can't believe some of the comments made on Trip Advisor! Everyone to their own,but get a life! Sean H,where have you stayed in the last months/years? Claridges etc!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Breathtaking. From the moment we saw the building's facade and then stepped in to the amazing lobby we know we were in for a treat! The wife and I were after somewhere romantic to spend our anniversary and we weren't disappointed. The team were great, the food lovely, yes it needs a bit of a spruce but then so do I and that's part of my character too!

Room Tip: Ask for Seaview
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2013

Stayed here once recently, never again. The room was small, not too bothered by that to be honest, at the bar the only bitter was not available, the evening meal would've been very expensive if we'd bought it and to cap it all, we'd paid the extra ten quid for the buffet breakfast. When we went down to get breakfast the buffet was unavailable, we were presented with their version of a 'full English'-one shrivelled piece of bacon, one small sausage, half a tomato, some disgusting button mushrooms. i ordered a pot of tea, which after 35 minutes hadn't arrived. I re-ordered, to be presented with quite a large teapot with one poor quality teabag in it. The whole experience was dreadful. Never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business