“Great location and service”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #25 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

First class treatment from George and his team, a smashing weekend stay and glorious weather. A very traditional hotel that works very hard to make itself feel small and intimate, get a sea view room. Room 244 is a peach. Thanks to all for a lovely weekend.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy J

Reviewed 14 March 2014

We were very fortunate at being able to book last minute for a carvery lunch at the Queens,as it is always so busy. The food and service were first class. Brilliant relaxed atmosphere. We loved it so much so that we are booked in again for Sunday week. Would just like to say to the negative and miserable comments.....get a life,it's a fantastic building with charm and any experience with the waiting staff has been first class.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dolly1000
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

I have been to 100s of hotels all over the world. I am bitterly disappointed to say that the queens hotel falls in into the category of being the worst by far. Looks stunning from the outside, until you step inside, very dated, smelly, and no attention to detail. Very tired looking staff, very tired looking decor, just one menu with run of the mill food, when I asked the waitress about the menu she didn't have a clue, when I asked about a bottle of wine she told me she would get a bar person. Wow. A waitress with no information on the menu or the wine? That tells me straight away there is no training of staff. I will say that the meals we ordered were very well cooked and presented nicely. All in all a very bad experience,

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank ken j
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I have to say that the staff and team at the hotel (especially at breakfast) were really kind, and helpful. So much so, that as much as I would have liked to check out immediately, and stay elsewhere, I did not want to cause a problem. So I have done two things - email the hotel with the below, and write this review.

We stayed here as part of a birthday treat. My other half booked it as he knew the Victorian facade and interior would appeal to me....and I feel bad that he spent so much, when we may as well have stayed in a much cheaper B&B.

The entrance and lobby are impressive, with ornately decorated ceilings. However as you go up the staircase to the rooms, you notice a deterioration in standards. The walls are scuffed, with the occasional dent. The doors are too. I'm not too sure how often the area is cleaned as the door-handles leading to our corridor were sticky, and remained so, every time I returned to my room.

The room we stayed in smelt stuffy (I cannot place exactly what the smell may have been) and we kept the windows open while we were there, in order to lessen the odour.

The bathroom was fitted with a Saniflo toilet - which was exceptionally noisy, at random intervals during the night. There's also a rather patronising note above the toilet, telling you how to use it correctly, to avoid a £500 charge.

The rest of the bathroom is not much better. The fitted shower is pathetic, and fitted above a cracked bathtub. The shower curtain has seen much better days, was stained and smelly. There are also instructions above the bath, to let you know how to use it.

The room was fairly spacious. The bed was not uncomfortable, and I slept most of the night. The linen was nothing special. However, there were patches of damp above the windows, the light next to the bed did not work, and the skirting/corners of the room were cracked and had not been cleaned.

The television was small. I know for a lot of people the TV would not be their biggest priority. There were only three channels, which worsened the situation. With no wifi, and no other entertainment in the hotel, had I not made plans for the evening, it could have been pretty dull. There is a note on the reception desk saying the TV reception was interrupted by the recent bad weather. I believe they are referring to the storms which affected the country around a month ago. Surely this is enough time to repair this issue?

We had a balcony, which overlooked Southsea common. Whoever was there last (or maybe a while ago?), smoked. The hotel staff had not cleaned up the cigarette butts which covered the floor. Apparently the room cost more because of this balcony space. I am not sure how this is justified.

Finally, the breakfast. The menu we were given was covered in grease, which did not bode well. The food was OK - but scrambled eggs on toast is not the most demanding of dishes to cook. We had to swap the milk jug we were given, as the original one had a couple of dead flies swimming in it. This put me off of eating anything else.

If you want to stay in a decent hotel with great service, go to the Clarence in Portsmouth. It's just round the corner. Don't waste your money here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lsk1984
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The building itself is beautiful and the rooms are large with lovely views over the common and the sea.

Unfortunately however the hotel has seen better days and is in need of a complete refurbishment (it looks like some work has been done in the ground floor bar area).

Our bathroom was dated with a broken towel rail and no shower. The bedroom, as previously mentioned, was large but the heating was either not working or not switched on. An electric heater had been provided but it was not adequate given the size of the room. The furniture was dated and tired and the handle fell off the wardrobe. Not that we particularly watch TV when we are away but even if we wanted to we couldn't as it didn't work!!

We managed to get a slightly cheaper room rate but at £90 I think this is expensive given the quality of the accomodation. The room rate did not include breakfast which actually worked in our favour as we found a fabulous little Irish bar nearby that did the best breakfast we have ever had!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Huge room with 4-poster bed was superb. This hotel has great character, amazing views from most of the rooms and it's location is excellent. In terms of decor, it's obviously seen better days, but there is extensive refurbishment taking place and the staff are great. Quality cooked breakfast is good value, especially if pre-booked.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Duncs2014
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Thoughout this hotel other than the storm damage it has had rough treatment or inconsiderate work, wires just bundled and tacked too ceiling. Pipework just ugly positions and no attempt to disguise amy of it. Bathroom horrible macerator with pipework laid on tiles. This isn't a 4* and would be down to a 2* for us. Stayed for a friends wedding and little things constantly niggled, like the windows were filthy inside and out.
Breakfast buffet really nice staff & service let down by lack of hot plates, bacon luke warm fried eggs cold etc
Could be really nice but for us too rough around the edges for the competition better available

Room Tip: facing the IOW