“Beautiful hotel, fantastic staff!”
Review of Queen's Hotel

Queen's Hotel
Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
England
“Beautiful hotel, fantastic staff!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We've recently returned from a night at the Queens, and on reading some of the past reviews were a little apprehensive about going. However, I needn't have worried! The hotel is gorgeous, we loved the traditional aspect of the surroundings. Our room was a generous size and very clean. The food was out of this world, and the staff very attentive! We are shortly going to a wedding at The Queens and can't wait to visit and stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We had one night in this hotel for my birthday. The place is really dirty and unloved. On arrival the receptionist was rude and un welcoming and attempted to charge us £5 to park our car when it clearly says on a huge sign on entry to the car park 'FREE PARKING FOR HOTEL GUESTS', when we pointed this out she proceeded to argue with us and insisted we pay, at which point my husband showed her our booking confirmation email which stated free parking. Only then did she stop arguing with us. We had no hot water in our bathroom, and when we complained on our way to dinner the receptionist just said 'oh im sorry about that' and did nothing else. The following morning we had only hot water and no cold! Check out was by the same rude receptionist. Wifi was so slow it was pointless.
Bed was uncomfortable and bedding tatty and ripped and the pillows were terrible. Would not recommend going here if, like us, customer service is important to you!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracie A

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

With friends, on a Sunday night looking for dinner in Southsea-stumbled on the Queens.

Restaurant looked up market but tables were dusty and restaurant empty-starters were good, main courses of belly pork (at £15) were overcooked and crackling was flaccid! Accompanied by some mashed pots and one carrot-cod loin for one friend was cold. Ordered desserts but gave up on this after 30 minutes and left-vastly overpriced restaurant, not delivering on service, but staff tried hard to please.

Whoever runs this place needs to look again at service--we were seated near to the bar area in the restaurant, where all the dirty glasses from the establishment turned up-when we left we were surrounded by washing up--also, all empty bottles ended up in a bin under the bar--yup, you guessed it next to us.

Sounds like I constantly moan, but when I order "butter" to go with my Melba toast-do no not give me a plastic packed portion of Flora!!!!

Perhaps we picked on a bad night, but left with the impression that the whole organisation here is struggling to keep going--except of course for the nice lady who served us, she is great, but she also seemed to be running the bar as well-very efficient-but every time she said "no problem", there obviously was,

Please someone, kick this place into gear.

Room Tip: I did not stay here-but on the strength of my restaurant visit I never would.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Another great holiday, the hotel was a little late with the room but they made up the delay with coffee and biscuits.the breakfast was buffet style with plenty of choice and as much as you wanted.the Sunday carvery was also very good.the service and friendliness of the staff is especially good.It is in a great position overlooking the sea and the rooms are very spacious.my only niggle is the non existent wi Fi very spasmodic .

Room Tip: The rooms with French windows are great
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Yes, it is an old hotel, but very well maintained. The rooms are spacious, very clean and comfortable. The main areas are very charming, almost luxurious. The bar is very pleasant. Staff is very friendly. What more can you expect from a good classic hotel?
Location is nice although not walking distance from any nice spot.
The only downside was the carpeted lift with a strange smoky smell... but nothing really serious.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

They advertise free WiFi here, on their home page and in their rooms but it wasn't working and according to their staff often fails to work. I can live without it but my 2 teenage sons consider it a human right so was one of the reasons I booked. I wrote to them to complain but the response is so weasely I'm sharing my disappointment here.

They deny all responsibility because it is provided by Sky (my contract is with them not with Sky), we were the only ones who complained (there was most certainly a problem), and they cannot technically control it (if they can't provide it they shouldn't be headlining their offer with it).

As for the rest of the hotel, it was probably great many years ago but now, like its customer service, it's shabby. And not in a charming way.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul H
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Went down to the bar to look at the dinner menu - unless you want a cheese sandwich there is no vegetarian dish as a main meal. I was told that if I said what I wanted the chef would make it. Fair enough but I don't know what I want. What I do want is to be treated like other diners and be given a choice even if it's Hobsons. Luckily it is less than 1/4 of a mile from the shops and a good choice of meals: excellent Turkish/Greek restaurant the Agora.
Breakfast for vegetarians is a reduced affair - looked pretty good for the carnivores though.
When I checked on the website (prebooking) and looked at the examples of the bedrooms all the pictures show rooms which have at least a window of 3 panes width or more than one window. When I arrived at my room it was a pokey affair with a window only one pane wide and rather hot - should have been included in the samples.
Rather lacking in fire escape signs when coming down the stairs from the third floor (when you walk past one you should be able to see the next one). I know there are renovations going on but what happens if there is a fire NOW with smoke and darkness reducing vision?
Went up to my room to discover I couldn't access my emails without an internet code - so down we go again. Why didn't the receptionist have the wit to give it to me when I booked in? Internet slow. Wasn't offered a morning paper on arrival so didn't know they did them.
This was probably once a very grand hotel but it is in serious need of TLC and some customer care training - living and priced on past glories and a view of the sea. Not good value for money: glad I was only there one night.

Room Tip: Don't buy the meal/drink ticket to get a discount - the reduced menu (and prices) isn't wort...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business