“Great B&B in Portsmouth”
Review of Fortitude Cottage

Fortitude Cottage
Ranked #6 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Perfect B & B, really comfortable bedroom and great bathroom. Lovely room for breakfast with views of the harbour and perfect hosts. If ever we need a place to stay in Portsmouth we would definitely come here again and would not hesitate to recommend Fortitude Cottage to friends and family

Room Tip: We slept in room number 6 which was perfect and quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fortitude Cottage

Reviewed 9 March 2013

We so enjoyed our beautiful large accomodation and hosts at Fortitude Cottage. The sunny room had a fun view of the water and the bathroom was really well set up. Maggie and Mike were extremely gracious hosts. Theirs was our best breakfast in England. It is quite close to the harbour and sites so really convenient. They went above and beyond by posting us our forgotten (special) AC adaptor. I highly recommend a visit if you are near Portsmouth.

Room Tip: We paid for the larger room and it was well worth it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stork6066
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed at Fortitude Cottage and booked a ‘harbour view double en-suite room’ in February 2013.

We received a warm welcome from Mike on arrival and our room was clean and bright and did indeed overlook the ferry terminal. Despite the close location of the cottage to the harbour, the noise was not a problem due to the double glazed windows.

Our room was tastefully decorated and had coffee and tea making facilities, a room safe, small TV and lots of little extras like bottle water, biscuits, soap, shampoo etc.

Our breakfast the next morning was served downstairs in the dining room and was beautifully presented and offered a wide choice.

The only negative aspect of our stay was the size of the en-suite. The en-suite was entered through a sliding door from the bedroom with the shower being located on the right hand side and the toilet on the left. The width of this room was the width of the shower meaning it was very small and hard to negotiate. The en-suite was so small that the vanity unit was next to the wardrobe in the bedroom!

After reviewing the website, I see that only photos of large spacious bathrooms and en-suites are pictured. This is rather misleading to anyone booking our particular room.

I would definitely stay at Fortitude Cottage again, but I would clarify that I was actually receiving a room with a nice bathroom as featured on their website and not a small pokey one that you couldn't swing a cat in.

Room Tip: Clarify the size of the en-suite you are booking.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DormouseTidings
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The owners Maggie and Mike have something quite special indeed here. If you fancy a nice quiet break, in lovely surroundings then this is the place for you. We stayed in room 8 on the top floor and it is a huge room, beautifully decorated, with great views of Spinnaker Tower and Gunwharf. It was spotless. I take my hat off to Maggie and Mike as this is the nicest B&B my wife and I have ever stayed in. A little bit of hotel beating luxury in my opinion, and Mike is a dab hand with the scrambled eggs in the morning as well. Cant wait to go back in the summer. Fortutude Cottage sets the standard, and the standard is high......

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2013

Booked at the last minute and stayed in the superior deluxe room (8). Offered an early check in and we were welcomed by Mike who gave us all the information we needed to explore Portsmouth. The B and B is in the perfect location and once the car was parked directly outside we walked everywhere. The room was enormous and the attention to detail and standard of finish was impeccable. Breakfast was lovely and both Maggie and Mike could not have been more welcoming or attentive if they tried. Would highly recommend Fortitude Cottage and only wish we had been more organised so we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Lovely welcome good food the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in.
Mike and Maggie are wonderful hosts . No surprise they are always fully booked. Location on the small dock for the Isle of Wight ferry.
We have slept both at the back and front of the accommadation and found both to be very quiet.

Room Tip: It really does not matter which room, they are all excellent .
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I would like to complement both Maggie and Mike for the first class service I have had here, the rooms are of the highest standard and the breakfast is to die for, set you up for the day and no grease on the Full English breakfast copious amounts of toast as well and fresh orange juice as well. I had room 6 and I found the room to be peaceful and relaxing with a lovely bath in the bathroom. I will stay here again, next time with my wife, I arrived in my old London Taxi and being in Portsmouth I thought I would have problems in parking, but none at all as there are a number of parking places outside and also a car park across the road, as Mike and Maggie have a arrangement with the Council these are completely free and safe as well. Ideal for exploring Portsmouth or to break up a long journey. Well done Maggie and Mike and look forward to seeing you soon

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business