“WHITE LODGE, SOUTHSEA”

White Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #27 of 34 Portsmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently stayed for 4 nights in Room 3 at White Lodge. We enjoyed our stay and staff were friendly. It was my wife's birthday whilst we were there. Her birthday cards were seen on display and next morning, she was delighted to receive a card and flowers from the owners. This was a very nice touch and much appreciated.
The room is described as 'superior' and whilst not wishing to be critical, we think the following additions would help to justify that grading:
1) a radio to listen to - not everyone wants television!
2) a comfortable chair to sit on - the wicker chair in our room is not a typical lounge chair.
3) grab rails on the bath for safety - especially for elderly or less mobile guests.

Room Tip: Room 3 was big with en suite bath and shower. Lots of light and fresh air from large opening windows...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 June 2014

My check in was with the owner's lovely daughter. She met me with a broad smile and lots of enthusiasm, despite it being her first check in. My room was as described: the small twin on the third floor. It was exactly that and spotlessly clean. Everything that was needed was there: tea, coffee, hairdryer, a fan was provided (hot June weekend). Towels were freshly changed in the morning, which I hadn't expected. The family happily stored my bottle of cava in their fridge, ready for my friend's arrival and the owner, Martin brought it straight to my room when it was needed. The beds were comfortable, the room was quiet, despite Victoria Road being a busy road. I ate breakfast there on the second morning and it was lovely. I would happily stay here again. Nothing beats a family run place for me. It will always win over corporate coldness.

Room Tip: The room descriptions are honest, so read and select for your needs
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Room very well decorated, confortable, lovely tray of biscuits, tea and coffee. Clean wc. Good english and continental breakfast. Friendly and helpfull staff. Acomodate a last minute change of one more night!

Room Tip: Downstairs room, near breakfast room is a bit more noisy but it does not matter if you have to wake...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
WhiteLodgeSouthsea, Owner at White Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Thank you for your review am pleased to see that you rated your room "well decorated & comfortable". I know from experience how important it is for guests to have complimentary tea and coffee available in their room. A lot of our guests say nice things about our breakfast, so I'm pleased that we continue to deliver a good experience to set well our guests for the day ahead.

Regards
Martin

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Stayed for one night whilst daughter looked at University. Warm welcome, showed to room, very clean and very recent refurbishment to high standard( stayed in twin room 6).Friendly staff, rooms are ideal tea and coffee etc. En suite and good shower, TV, and near to good value pub the Victoria and Albert about 200 meters away, also a good find. We had a lovely breakfast cooked fresh and wouldn't hesitate to go back again, and very close to Portsmouth Uni campus, and 10-15 minute walk to main shops and Quay area.Easy to find and free parking, doesn't get any better than that

Room Tip: all quiet and slept well on very comfy bed and only 6 rooms in B+B
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Steven J
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

we were welcomed by who I think must have been the owners daughter who was very sweet and showed us to our room. the decor was ok. issues in the room were ... bedside lamp didn't work, it was quite dusty everywhere. as soon as we walked into the en-suite up a small step, the tile immediately on the inside if the door on the floor came away as did the tile upright against the step. this is very dangerous especially in the dark. my partner had a shower ... where the hot and cold were the wrong way round. obviously he didn't really mind, but this could also be quite dangerous. the tv was fine although advertised as a 32 ". this it definitely was not. the breakfast and service was fantastic which cheered us up a little. when we were packed and ready to leave, we had no idea what to do with our key as there was nobody about ... we ended up walking around looking for someone and ended up in the owners kitchen. this was quite uncomfortable and a little strange. I appreciate that the lodge is located on a main road and this wasn't a problem although I sas woken at 6.30am by a very loud continous banging noise ... couldn't quite figure out what this was. being in the hospitality business myself, I would just suggest making it clearer what do do with keys when leaving, and making sure rooms are thorough checked ... there is no way that the cleaner coulx have missed the fact that floor tiles had become unfixed.

• Stayed: November 2013
5  Thank wotsits123
WhiteLodgeSouthsea, Owner at White Lodge Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write a review although of course we are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. The broken tiles on entering the en-suite have been reported by the housekeeper and I'm pleased to report have now been repaired today.
On a point of fact, the room booked is advertised as having HDTV, the room advertised with a 32" HDTV is in fact the Superior Double or Twin Rooms which you did not book.
It seems that when you checked-out we were dealing with a guest in their room, but I take on board your point about giving guests clear information on where to leave a key on checking-out. We will add this to the Information Cards available in all rooms.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Stayed at the White Lodge for one night after seeing show at the nearby Kings Theatre.
On arrival, I was greeted by presumably the owner,and shown into in the entrance hall, my first impression of which was surprise that it was a little bit shabby, quite in contrast to the photographs of the rooms found online. The room however was extremely comfortable, with en suite shower room. As has been mentioned by other reviewers, the White Lodge is situated on quite a busy road, and my room, (No1 on the ground floor) did suffer from traffic noise, as there is no double/secondary glazing to dampen the sound.
As I previously mentioned, The Kings Theatre is a short walk away, as is Fratton Station, so from my point of view, although obviously subjective, the location was very good. I stayed on a room only basis, so cant comment on the food, but the dining room, like the entrance hall could certainly do with a make over. (Entrance hall ....First Impressions!!).
Price was definitely on the high side (even if breakfast would have been included), so poor value for money, however I did book fairly late , so that might have been a factor.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank RussB61

Thank you for your review. Having spoken to staff and from my own perspective we can not understand why you think the entrance hall and dining room shabby? Very little chipped paintwork, all areas dusted and vacumed, no marks on walls or doors, mirrors polished, dining room solid oak floor scrupulously clean, etc!! Would have been helpful if you could have detailed what exactly made them appear shabby.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We only stayed for one night as we were on our way to the ferry port to go to France. We had a small room but it was plenty big enough with twin beds, en-suite bathroom, wardrobe, drawers and a chair. There was tea making facilities which was very good. We didn't find it cramped it was perfectly adequate. We weren't able to stay for breakfast as we were getting a very early ferry but wish we had been able to. Our host was pleasant and very helpful giving us information where to go for an evening meal. Just one point though, the Italian round the corner is not open on a Sunday. Bedroom was very clean and we will certainly stay again if we need to stay near the ferry port.

Room Tip: We were at the top of the house which was a bit unfortunate leaving early and trying not to make any...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ellekay124

Thank you for your kind review and I'm pleased that you found The White Lodge " a comfortable friendly place to stay.". The small twin room you stayed in is our best value room, however it still enjoys HDTV, Free Wifi and ensuite facilities.

Hopefully when you next visit you will have the opportunity to experience Rosita's Italian restaurant too.
Regards