“Atmosphere”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Just got home from visiting Deans Diner with a thumping headache. Music was far too loud. The jukebox is a good idea but wrong kind of music on there as it doesn't match in with the American diner theme. Just turn the volume down then you can talk and not shout. Food was ok but expensive.

There are newer reviews for Dean's Diner

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We visited to celebrate our friend's birthday at around 8pm on a Thursday evening.
When we arrived, I wondered why the place was so dead. I now know why.
The waitress who was serving us was excellent and couldn't have done more for us. My main gripe is with the quality and value of the meals they serve.
After ordering a starter of nachos that we shared between the three of us, we waited for our main meals: the ribs meal deal, ribs & chicken meal deal and a chicken burger with extra cheese and a side of cheesy fries. The 'combo deal' option appeared to be good value. However, if ordering individual items from the menu or any extras, be prepared to pay a fair bit of money. Especially as a very small ramekin of barbeque sauce costs a pound and a slice of cheddar to go in my burger was a whopping £1.30!
When our food arrived I immediately disliked how my burger was the only thing on quite a large empty plate. Then I noticed that apart from a humungous bit of leaf in my burger, it didn't actually have either the cheese that I'd asked for or the onions that it stated that came with it on the menu. I flagged down a waitress who took it back and said she'd get me a fresh one which was very kind as that wasn't really what I was looking to do - I wouldn't have minded a bit of cheese and some onion on a side plate, but never mind.
If you do send something back, be prepared to be stared at by the chef who didn't seem particularly happy to see my burger back in the kitchen. After the others had finished their meals, mine arrived with onions but no cheese. I didn't fancy annoying the chef anymore so I just left it and ate up. The second burger was a lot better than the first, as it was piping hot unlike the first and tasted okay. Not as good as others I've had there before.
We then ordered desserts which were okay - you can't really go wrong with 2 scoops of ice cream or brownies with ice cream. The brownies were quite small, though.
When the bill arrived I was shocked to see it hit £70+ for three of us who shared a starter and only had 2 desserts and 4 drinks between us and they'd charged for the non-existent cheese.
We paid the bill and left. We probably won't be returning. The last couple of times we visited (last summer) I noticed a dip in their quality. However, when I compare it to the very first time we visited it's just gone so far downhill. The prices seem to have increased horrendously and the standard of the food has dropped spectacularly. What a shame!

1  Thank Chloe D
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Came here after visiting the cinema for a quick bite to eat. We both had burgers, which were dry, the buns were tasteless, onion rings tasted of nothing and the coleslaw had a 'grey' tinge to it.... Had a soft drink each and the bill came to just over 25 pounds. Do not bother coming here to eat - it really is a rip off. When you look in from the outside and see the 1950s decor you think you might get an authentic American diner experience - definitely not - you'd be better off going to McDonalds - same rubbish food, but cheaper!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Last time we came we vowed not to return in a hurry! Well that was over a year ago and we found ourselves returning simply because our 6 year old daughter choose this place for her birthday meal. Kind of sums up the place really, young children will enjoy the experience! We had a better server than last time and the place was not as busy and so these two factors determine what kind of experience you will have I think.

The burgers are still quite expensive and essentially all items are paid for individually which makes it more costly. I.e. you can pay up to £13 for a burger and that is all you will get.

1  Thank walshyfamily
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The food cooked here should be easy to cook!...a variety of burgers and fries. A group of 10-12 of us visited for a birthday and most ordered a beef burger but two others chose the fish burger. The very young servers took half an hour to take our order despite quite a few members of staff being on duty at the time. Our orders arrived at separate times, some eating before others. One fish burger did not arrive so we asked for it...5 minutes later it arrived-FROZEN! After notifying the manager, she offered a free milkshake as compensation but this is unacceptable in any food establishment.

My visit was more than a year ago but I obviously have not returned, so do not know if the place has improved.