“dirty van, overgrown area, just awful”

Southsea Holiday Home and Lodge Park
London, United Kingdom
“dirty van, overgrown area, just awful”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

stayed in a static with my young son, the van was dirty, hairs stuck to the table in the front room and on the worktop, microwave dirty, a raggedy dirty old mop and worn out brush in the cupboard, ants crawling all over the place, under the seats in the front room someone had emptied a tub of ant killer all over the place,
the weeds and brambles were so overgrown they reached up over the roof of the van and scraped all night long, thankfully didnt have to use the public showers as they looked revolting, although not much worse than inside the van.
went to the 'clubhouse' where i overheard the staff talking about how awful the food they served was, and how it was cheap rubbish, worse than asda's?? their words.
lots of fagbutts everywhere and workers and people that were obviously regulars, happily smoking and swearing away in front of my 3 year old, im pretty liberal minded, but this place is filthy, it doesnt cost money to keep somewhere clean, this place is clearly not cared for, i would absolutely not recommend, maybe try Hayling Island, im from Portsmouth and of course cant recommend Pompey enough, but steer very clear of this dump.

Room Tip: steer clear
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank splash d

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I booked this through the Sun by mistake as was looking for something with facilities for 6&7 year old. It was clear that this park didn't have those facilities upon double checking but the info was there and it was my mistake. The caravan we stayed in was clean and had all equipment that we required. The beach was clean and so was the park. We used the camp as a base to explore Portsmouth and found so much to do. I don't really understand all the hysterically negative reviews (checked here the day before we left and started panicking that we would get ill). However the camp is cheap and cheerful and perfect for the beach or as a base. Can't comment on bar as we didn't get entertainment passes.

3 Thank RebeccaMullens
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Just got back from a bank holiday break with extended family. We holidayed here as youngsters when it first opened over 20 years ago & wanted to bring our kids here to share the fun we had as it was a beautiful, clean site. No such chance ! Site is so rundown it looks like it should be closed down. No shop on site, the cafe which is advertised as being opened was shut at 10.30am in the morning. Only 1 toilet block open, which was disgusting, no soap, toilets that hadn't been cleaned. Tiles off the walls & ceiling - think the mould has finally given up trying to hold them up ! Cracked sinks - the list is endless. Potholes in the road and on the pitches. Such a disappointing letdown. The best part of this holiday was leaving to come home & feel clean again !!!! Shame on the owners

4 Thank mejkjs

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family and I camped here over the holiday weekend. It is a wonderful place. The bathrooms were very clean, the playground was well kept, the pub served cold beer! The locals were very friendly and inviting. We had no issues with noise. The nearby beaches are very nice. We will come back!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I booked this holiday through The Sun. It was the worst mistake ever. I took my 1 1/2 year old great grandson with me as I was sure there was entertainment and things to do there for him. IE a swim pool and play area. How wrong can one be. The play area advertised apparently suitable for under 12,probably, but definitely NOT any younger than 5. The pool was closed until July apparently this is made clear in the Sun, NO it wasn't. I was told there was a pool outside the site about 5 mins away) along with a play area that would be suitable for a young child. Both of these were in opposite directions of each other. The play area was in an estate so nothing to do with the site. I had booked a breakfast for the morning we were leaving and on arrival was told that as myself and only one other caravan were the only ones wanting it the Chef decided it wasn't worth coming in, plus on arrival I was told there was no entertainment at night as they don't have it on for the 4 day breaks. Again this was paid for and definitely not specified in the booking. I was given vouchers to spend in Nelsons Bar. I thought ok but then found out that food was NOT served until 5pm any night the bar itself was closed until 4pm every day. So if you wanted a quiet day in the van you were out of luck entertainment wise or even getting a coffee.On the first night I went to the bar for food and asked if I could possibly have a small amount of milk for my Great grandson only to be told they DO NOT sell it and the nearest shop was the Spar about 5 mins away but it was shut. The only milk they had was the little cartons you get with coffee or tea. No attempt was made to ask the kitchen. The Sun really need to take this site off its list as it does not offer everything it says it is supposed to
A very disgruntled customer

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Heather c
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Arrived at Seaview Leisure Park on Monday 12thMay. Caravan VP17 was clean and well equipt
. Television was not working and curtains missing from bedroom,but it was all dealt with within 1 hour of us arriving..Perhaps not a family park,but the beach is only 2 minutes away. Staff were very helpful...Was a bit apprehensive having read previous reviews but all in all we had a good time..

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Valerie S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there over bank hol weekend. Went with sun holidays and they should really consider taking then off the lists. It's not a family place at all, and they effectively don't care as long as they are getting there money from propel who books and don't realise how awful it is! It's not a family place at all and the sun holidays are promoted as family holidays. Arrived on the Friday to be told no entertainment and given bar vouchers. The caravan was awful but told no option to upgrade. We went to spend our vouchers on the Sunday and had to sit outside with a 19 month old in the wind as there was a private function and they had music so loud that it was deafening us! When we asked them to turn it down they laughed and turned it louder! Once want outside they clapped as they had got what they wanted and we had left! I was disgusted and others were also sat outside as they also must have felt intimidated by them. The owners just wanted to party and didn't care about their customers. In my eyes they took our money for entertainment and stole it as we couldn't enjoy that awful bar! In hindsight I should've checked reviews before I booked but in honesty I chose it as we wanted to take our little girl to peppa pig world and don't check the caravan site. Nearly put me off sun holidays but we has such a good site last year that I will try again but check reviews and upgrade!!

5 Thank Nicola W