“Nice but not great”

O Sole Mio Two
Ranked #220 of 651 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Family run restaurant in Port Solent marina.
Hampshire
“Nice but not great”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was looking forward to a meal here yesterday, food was generally quite good, thoroughly enjoyed the Anti-Pasti however the meal was let down:

1) We ordered a bread basket - expecting a selection of fresh sliced bread from Italy (Mediterranean Olive Bread / Tomato Bread / Chibbata etc) what we got was two small torpedo roll (from Tesco) reheated under the grill. Most definitely not Italian.

2) Service was rushed. The starters arrived within 2 mins of ordering suggesting it was pre-prepared, the main arrived very quickly afterwards - it was as if they couldnt wait to get rid of us and free up the table. This might be OK if there are people waiting for a table but the place was about 2/3 full so not necessary.

3) Sweet menu very much "direct from the freezer" - so much so we passed on sweet and bought a sweet on the way home from M&S at the local petrol station.

Shame.....

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just like Italy itself!”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have been to Italy on a regular basic as my partner is half Italian so we rarely go to an Italian Resteraunt when being advised of o sole mio in Portsolent we thought it would be a nice experience and we couldn't have been more happier, from the service to the food. The Resteraunt was full but still had a personal touch when the owner came and spoke to us and recommended the home made gnocchi ( Italian pasta - not an expensive meal either ) would Definately recommend families and groups of friends AND Definately couples!

Portsmouth
“Fantastic meal, great service”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I decided to try O Sole Mio today (bank holiday Monday) after a recommendation from a friend; there was a small music festival going on so I had slight concerns about the speed of the service, however I should not have worried. We ordered bruschetta which was a perfect balance of garlic, tomato and olive oil, and we both had a pasta dish. My husband ordered Rigatoni al Pollo (creamy chicken and mushroom pasta) and I ordered Gnocchi alla Nonna (gnocchi with bolognese). The portions were massive, freshly made, piping hot and absolutely delicious; the gnocchi literally melted in my mouth! We were served quickly without being made to feel rushed and the service was to a high standard. Lovely to enjoy a meal at a family run restaurant which well surpassed the same-old high street chains that are available at Port Solent, and a million times better that the other Italian restaurants there. Will definitely be back.

Fareham, United Kingdom
“Walk straight past!”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for traditional Italian cuisine and something different from the usual restaurant chains then walk straight past this place!

Port Solent was really busy on the day we visited so we should have got a warning when we entered this restaurant and it was pretty much empty. We had that horrible feeling that we had made a bad decision as soon as we sat and looked at the menu. The lack of good dishes paired with the high prices were a shock as the outside of the restaurant made it look traditional and affordable.

The service was lacking and pretty much nonexistent, we ordered drinks and alarm bells rung again! I asked for the wine list and they advised me that I had a choice of red, white or rose! When it arrived it looked slightly like a specimen sample and tasted as bad!

Our starter was very average and we were shocked that a traditional Italian restaurant didn't offer bread. We did request this and waited about twenty minutes for some burnt part baked rolls (like the ones you get in Tesco) to arrive.

We ordered Salmon pasta and a pizza for mains, neither were very good. The pizza looked like it had been purchased from Tesco with the bread and the pasta looked like tinned Mac and Cheese! The pasta was horrible, the sauce was stodgy and heavy and the smoked salmon was overlooked and chewy.

The staff did not sat much when they served us and their customer service skills were near minimal!

My advice would be if you are looking for an Italian in Port Solent to go to one of the chain restaurants.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Vicky E
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“What a fantastic meal !!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Freshly Cooked Traditional Italian Food of the highest quality is exactly what we enjoyed.
From the moment we arrived until we reluctantly departed the experience was memorable.

The menu offers something for all tastes & we tucked in to all 3 courses.
Service with a smile & at competitive prices we'll be going back again soon.

Gabbie & Gianni should be congratulated on all aspects of O Sole Mio Restaurant Two.

• Visited April 2014