“A Good Travelodge”

Travelodge Portsmouth
Ranked #24 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Booked this well in advance and got a great bargain for 3 nights - £87. Attended graduation ceremony and added on a couple of nights for a break having never been to Portsmouth before. Fitted the bill well. Free car parking meant we could take the bus around the area - quite easy with a bit of research. Large rooms, very clean and fresh. Pleasant and helpful staff. Pub type restaurant in complex but not very good food. Only problem is no air con but we took our own fan, as did many others, and it was a godsend in this hot week.

Room Tip: Get one facing the car park as they are quieter. Other side faces busy road and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Portsmouth

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I booked this travelodge as a base for my son's graduation in Portsmouth. Just off the motorway, on the edge of the city, it's a perfect location in my view.

Reception staff very friendly and welcoming and couldn't do enough to help.

The refurbished rooms it appears have been a lick of paint, new curtains and matching runner on beds but many rooms (including ours) have king sized beds which were very comfortable.

The bathroom was immaculate and the shower was one of the best I've ever known in a travelodge.

It was a very hot night but the man on reception was more than happy to hunt out a fan for us which really helped.

Overall, a very comfortable stay and would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room to the rear of the hotel. We had a front room facing the motorway...
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Hotel staff were rude and the managers attitude stank when it came to my wife complaining about the noise of the nights events with the loud staff. The manager swore at my wife and called her a name when she was making the complaint. The 1st floor stank of cannabis and as for a refurb?? all I can say is it must of been decorated by the Chuckle brothers and Frank Spencer. Horrible grubby hotel

4  Thank Carl B
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Dear Carl B, we’re surprised and concerned to learn of the issues you have raised and really wish to investigate this. We would like to obtain more details, please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to provide us with more details and when doing so please specify you have left a TripAdvisor review.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

I only stay at TLs when I need a functional room rather than for an enjoyable stay.

The refurb makes it very good for a TL, However the hot weather, combined with no ventilation and windows you can't open made it hellish. My room was 31 centigrade at night. Anywhere you contacted the bed you were wringing wet with perspiration.

The shower extractor fan didn't work ( a common TL fault) combining to make it like a sauna after a shower.

The weather isn't TLs fault, but windows you cant open fully (they are tethered), faulty extractors, and no ventilation are.

Sorry TL, you need to be better especially for what you charge at this location.

1  Thank Winer_Diner_2011
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

We are sorry to learn you did not have a comfortable stay with us Winer_Diner_2011. Unfortunately not all of our hotels have air conditioning, however we do have a number of fans available from reception on a first come, first serve basis. Whilst the windows are tethered for our customer’s safety, we do expect the extractor fans to be working. We’ll ensure our hotel staff are made aware of your comments so they can look into this.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was not booked by me, but for a business trip. I am only glad it was for one night. While I accept that on the hottest day of the year and with high humidity you expect things to be uncomfortable, but this place was the worst ventilated hotel ever. The corridors were like saunas, the first room I had was graced with water dripping through the ceiling and black mould where the leak was. Fair enough, I was given another room after complaining but this one had a bathroom ceiling that was madly stained and again had black mould on it. Being located on a junction the traffic noise was bad in both rooms, you couldn't open the window more than a few inches ( I know the claim will be health and safety). The only positive thing I can say about this place is the pub underneath it did a reasonable steak for the price and the bed was big and comfortable. Shame I couldn't sleep In short, overpriced, zero facilities and a bad adverisment for the brand. If I have to visit Portsmouth again I would rather sleep in the car. It would be more comfortable and less mouldy.

Room Tip: In another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Videoman4K
TravelodgeUK, Sophie from Customer Care at Travelodge Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear Videoman4K please can you give us some more detail of your stay so we can address your concerns. We are sorry that you experienced a room that was below the standards we expect and disruption during your stay. To help us investigate the issues and contact you please can you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to give us more detail.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

This hotel in very convenient for the ferry port. I have stayed here twice and both times found the room unbearably hot. The first time the windows were locked shut as it was a family room and children may climb out! and recently it was airless despite leaving the window open. In hot weather it needs aircon or fans and lighter bedding to make it comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Dear orthoc, we do expect all of our customers stays to be as comfortable as possible but unfortunately this hotel does not have air conditioning. We have a number of fans available from reception for customers to borrow on request.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with Wife and 2 young children.
The weather was very hot, and as other people have said, the windows only open an inch and no air-con. My Wife asked at reception for a fan, but they had none left. Consequently our room was like a sauna, and we spent as little time as possible in there, as it was almost unbearable.
As strange as it sounds given the heat, at about 4am, some kind of alarm was going off quite loudly (not Travelodge's fault) so we wanted to temporarily close the window, to avoid waking our children up, and it couldn't be closed either.

My worst complaint though, was the first night.
I was just about to get into bed, peeled back the duvet, and spotted 2 penny-sized blood stains on the sheet where you would lay on the bed.
I noticed this with only the bathroom light on, so I have no idea how the person who made the bed managed to miss it.
I was not happy, so went to reception, and got a robotic 'apology' and another sheet.
I also mentioned it to the Manager on our departure, who said sorry. But that was all, no mention of maybe a free breakfast, or refund of a night's stay or something.
The staff genuinely didnt seem that shocked by it, which makes me think that things like this may be a regular occurrence.

I've had just about enough of Travelodges now, they have got worse and worse over the last few years, the staff are never that bothered about complaints or bad reviews on here.
This is echoed by the head office as well. I've put in complaints to them in the past, and they only send back a standard apology email or letter.

1  Thank Ian J

Dear Ian J, we are very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to the standards we would expect and that the problems were not resolved satisfactorily at the hotel. We’d like to be able to discuss with you a resolution to these issues. To help us contact you, please can you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to give us more detail and be sure to click on the ‘link from TripAdvisor’ option when submitting your details.