“Ghost Hotel”

Ranked #24 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Brighouse, United Kingdom
“Ghost Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Visiting family in the area resulted in our 2 night stay at a convenient location that met our budget. The hotel lobby was more like a block of flats entrance with drinks and chocolate vending machines. We were greeted by a friendly young lad who had us checked in in under a minute and that was the last time we saw the reception manned until we left 2 days later, but I'm sure had we wanted assistance someone could have been summoned from the back room.
The hotel was fairly clean and the rooms were large, appearing to have some furniture missing although there was 2 easy chairs. The bed was really comfortable and clean. It was obvious that the premises had recently undergone some sort of refurbishment as the paintwork looked new although grubby in areas. Our room was well heated by an electric heater that actually did what it was supposed to do and the double glazing worked well as we could not hear the nearby motorway traffic.
We shared a bathtowel on the first night as initially the 2nd towel was dirty.
The pub next door served meals - breakfast and the usual pub grub, but we didn't eat there so cannot comment on the quality
Definately a no frills hotel and ideal if you just want somewhere to sleep

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Northamptonshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Portsmouth is a total mess of a town and the ongoing roadworks do nothing to help it. Neither do the citizens who seem intent on stepping in front of your car at ever given opportunity. Maybe that's the better alternative to living there. That said we managed to find the main station and collect our friend and somehow find the hotel, albeit arriving from an unexpected direction. This all with satnav which seems to get confused with all the different levels and buildings in the town.

Ample onsite car parking, easy check-in and as we were coming and going at different times always someone on or behind the reception, even buzzing me back in at 1.45am after another confusing trip round the town to find the Hard Interchange for our friend to get the coach out of town.

No cafe/bar here, but the is a rather nice looking pub restaurant attached to the hotel, we didn't eat there because of our schedule, but the smells coming from the were wonderful.

TV was restricted to about 3 channels, one of which was endless repeats of Poirot, found out that there had been a power cut and surge the evening before (due to the roadworks having chopped a cable or something) and the engineers were coming later to fix it.

My room was huge and very clean and the bathroom had a bathtub I'm six foot so it was a little short, but a nice soak after a week on the road with just showers was very welcome.The staff we saw were very pleasant and keen to help.

No problems at all in recommending this hotel, and I would stay here without hesitation, if ever I'm dragged kicking and screaming to Portsmouth again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights with my boyfriend. I had booked early check in but when it came to the day I knew I would be delayed and wouldn't get there until after midnight, they very kindly refunded by early check in and booked late checkout for me instead which I was thought was great customer service. The hotel is very easy to find, just off the m275 (I am a new driver and found it easily). The hotel is about 30 mins walk away from the harbour (for gunwharf quays, historic dockyard and ferry crossing to isle of wight), alternatively a taxi is £5 or there are local buses. If you walk down Kingston crescent, after about two mins you get to what I would call your average high street with shops, cashpoints and some places to eat such as subway, weatherspoons, mcdonalds, for restaurants you will need to go to the harbour. The hotel itself has been refurbished to new Travelodge standard, nice comfy bed with thick duvet, the room has a very strong electric heater which kept us very warm even in late November, bathroom was cold though. Plenty of free parking, pub downstairs was ok I guess...food was edible. TIP: if you are going to historic dockyard look on ebay for vouchers, we got access for £10 each, saving us £32! My only complaint is that the window was double glazed but didn't block out any of the noise from the carpark, as the hotel is above a pub there are rubbish and glass collections every couple of days and its very noisy, and regular deliveries, these woke me up daily due to poor windows. I fell back to sleep pretty easily though.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2013

Booked this last minute hotel for me and my partner and 2 yr old. Upon arrival we were greeted at around 2am in the night by the hotel receptionist and was given door card for our room, was very tired so went up to room and was nice and warm and clean. There was a double bed and two single beds on either side of the double bed, there was also sofa/sofa bed and a desk with mirror and two chairs. The bathroom consisted of a bathtub with a shower above it. Had a peaceful nights sleep with no disturbances and awoke in the morning had a coffee. I went down to ask for an iron from reception and was kindly given one without hassle.

The overall stay was relaxing and comfortable - I would stay again however I think for £50 stay it was slightly over priced as I have stayed in Travelodge before and its roughly 25 - 35 a stay.

Room Tip: Family room 217
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Southend-on-Sea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I needed to stay in Portsmouth one night for a meeting next day. This Travelodge was extremely easy to find and had plenty of free parking. The room could have been warmer but the new bed and thick duvet made it acceptable when in bed (though the bathroom remained cool).
The Sovereign pub in the same building was a bonus - typical pub carvery - plenty to eat and reasonable price. Just make sure that you sit at the tables to one end or you will be surrounded by families with children that charge about.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Arncliffe_01
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

We wanted a short break in Portsmouth before moving on to the Isle of White. The hotel was just up the road from the Gunwarfe Keys and the Naval Dockyard and the Whitelink Ferry. Easy parking at Gunwarfe shopping mall Great shops and eateries. Recommend buy day ticket for naval dockyard it will save you pounds compared to buying individual tickets. Mary Rose museum is excellent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel offers good value accommodation in walking distance of the international ferry terminal. Staff were efficient and friendly. Rooms are pleasant and comfortable with a bath and shower. Tea / coffee is provided. Breakfast box not good value but there is a pub next door which does an OK cooked breakfast for under £7. The hotel was very quiet.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business