“A hidden Gem!”

The Tenth Hole Tea Rooms
Ranked #4 of 79 Quick Bites in Portsmouth
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a buzzing little tearooms on Southsea Seafront....adjoined to a 9 hole golf course, we offer scrumptious breakfasts, lunches and delicious cakes! We provide a friendly and relaxed environment, overlooking the golf course, whilst offering freshly prepared meals and cakes. Southsea Golf Links is a 9 hole pitch and putt links course. 'Links course' means 'by the sea' and, as such, the course offers a more challenging environment - due to its exposure to the elements! The course ranges from 50 to 91 metres holes.
Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

After living my entire life in Portsmouth I only discovered The Tenth Hole a few months ago. I got words from a family member that they do the best cake, and so on my next weekend off me and my partner decided to try it out.

First of all, the options for what cake you can choose from is incredible. There’s so many options so you don’t have to worry about not liking something because there’s always another option. They also do ‘door-stop’ style sandwiches that come with crisps and coleslaw for a really reasonable price. One thing I will say though is that the food can be a bit more on the expensive side, however the deliciousness of it all makes up for it. They also had water and juice available to take when you like...for free! There’s also a lovely outdoor seating area if you prefer to be outside with the fresh sea air.

Speaking of which, a 2 minute walk away is the beach which is lovely to visit before or after having food. This cafe is in the perfect location, quiet yet bustling with good people and positive vibes. The staff are extremely friendly and welcoming and I’ve been back a few times to test out more of what they have on offer.

Date of visit: June 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,033)

Reviewed 28 October 2018

We visited The Tenth Hole for the first time this weekend after many recommendations from friends and colleagues. We arrived at around midday on a Saturday, hoping to sit inside for tea and cake. There was quite a queue to get in and we had to wait outside for a little while to be seated - I would recommend leaving extra time to account for the queue if planning a visit at the weekend or during peak times. The staff were lovely and made sure to ask each person in the queue whether they would be happy with a table outside as there was a slightly longer wait for a table inside. While we were waiting we were brought free samples of some of the cakes which were amazing and a great treat while you wait.

Once seated we were given menus and asked to place our order at the till when we were ready - there was not a lot of space that day at it was extremely busy and we were given a small table in the doorway. It was very crowded and there are quite a few high thresholds and steps which may cause difficulty for some people.

There is a great selection of cakes including vegan options - the cakes are not included on the menu as I believe they regularly have new options available. The cake slices are VERY generous which we hadn't realised - luckily the staff were happy to offer us a take-away box for the leftovers. In future we will probably order one piece between two! The cafe is reasonably priced - we ordered two speciality lattes and two pieces of cake which came to £13.

Overall, The Tenth Hole is a lovely tea rooms with a great atmosphere and brilliant range of cakes and food. Reasonably priced and much better quality than high street coffee shops. Despite the wait to get in we had a lovely time and will definitely be back - next time for food!

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

Always busy, nice cakes, but bit on the expensive side. But they are delicious. Can sit either inside or out.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 24 October 2018 via mobile

Queued for almost half an hour in total (split between getting in and getting our food), only to find out they were out of all of their vegan cakes at the till. No sign to indicate this and no apology from the assistant.
I appreciate it's busy, but they could have done more to indicate this, or just have made more vegan options considering its half term. Very disappointed as I'd heard good things.

Reviewed 20 October 2018 via mobile

This place is a favourite of ours when in Southsea and although we’ve not been lately it was as good as ever. Went with my wife, mum in law and my granddaughter. Despite being extremely busy the food, service, speed of service and hospitality was excellent. I forgot to order toast for my granddaughter and rather than re queue I had a quiet word with a staff member. Not only did they oblige, they gave it complimentary. The quality of the ingredients was top notch and they had gluten free toast for my coeliac wife. All in all a first class experience. Not cheap but excellent value for money which i feel is way more important. This place was running like clockwork and there is a reason it’s busy!