“Lovely hotel, lovely staff shame about the restaurant”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #22 of 38 Hotels in Portsmouth
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, lovely staff shame about the restaurant”
Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on the 25th July in a family room for two adults and two children. We arrived, were welcomed really well, with the children getting activity packs, checkin was easy and the hotel looked modern and clean. When we entered the room, they had set the room out the beds for the children and everything was in good order and clean. We had just been to poultons park (peppa pig world) and the children were tired after an early start, so decided to go to the restaurant and eat.

We went down to the bar area to discover that the restaurant didn't open till half six, so we had a drink in the lounge area, but when the restaurant opened they told us that we couldn't be seated as they had a party of 10 to deal with first!! So we had to sit the children down in the lounge again and wait for them to deal with one table! Why they didn't get them to pre order if they were going to struggle. When we finally got seated, the waitress couldn't even find any menus, so finally when we ordered we then waited and waited and waited, without any of the staff even acknologing that there was a delay in our food. Noticing the party of people were also complaining about the time it was taking I asked if they could at least feed the children as by this point an hour after ordering they were getting restless. To be fair they brought out the children's meals and they ate it all up in minutes. But when our adult meals finally came the sausages my wife had were burnt on. The outside and raw in the middle :( what was thought to be the easy option for dinner turned out to be a nightmare. I complained to the waitresses and then the duty manager, he was so apologetic and agreed that it wasn't acceptable, so said that he would refund our bill and offered room service complimentary. We declined and decided to take a walk down to the local pier to see what was about.

We ended up 5 mins away at Clarence pier, what a dump, we took one look and walked back to the hotel. On arriving at reception the duty manager again asked if we got any food out and when he found out we didn't he insisted that he sent something up to our room, he was so appologetic and sincere it made the poor restaurant experience disappear.

The next morning we went down to breakfast and the restaurant had changed, it was bustling with people, the buffet was busy and the food was great. The staff couldn't be more helpful to everyone and the food was fresh, hot and really nice. Really fantastic breakfast.

We then took a walk down town which took about quarter of an hour, it was very pleasant by the water having a coffee and watching the boats pass by.

Would defiantly go back to the hotel, the restaurant had a bad night but the sincere appologetic duty manager made up for everything. Really nice modern hotel defiantly stay again :)

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you so much for your great feedback on nearly all the aspects of your stay with your family. Please accept my sincere apologies you experienced issues in the restaurant, as mother of young children myself, I know only too well how important timely dinner service is for a family and can assure you this has been passed to the restaurant manager to correct. I was however pleased that you did allow us in some small way to make it up to you on your return to the hotel, and your kind understanding was most appreciated. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back soon. Kind regards Laura

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2012

We have been staying at this hotel since the late 90's when it was a Forte Posthouse. This time we travelled as a party of 6, staying in 3 rooms.
The hotel is situated in the middle of Southsea, easy walking distance to the beaches and Gunwharf keys etc.

We booked executive rooms, located on the 6th floor. Check-in was very efficient and staff helpful, plenty of free parking available.

The views from the 6th floor rooms are fantastic, we were lucky and were given sea facing rooms. No problems at all with the rooms, usual good standard with large flat screen TV, aircon etc.

The lounge/bar/restaurant areas have all been recently refurbished. Whilst these areas now look very modern, they are a little clinical/corporate compared to how it used to look. Maybe some plants or softer lighting might be nice here? Pool area could also benefit from a refurb as it looks a bit tired.

All in all, another great stay. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you so much for your great feedback. There is no better accolade than return patronage and for this my most sincere of thanks. I was very pleased to hear you have enjoyed your stay, again and truly hope you will continue to enjoy future visits. Kind regards Laura
Lund, Sweden
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Had a 2 night stay in the hotel as a family of 3.
The room as a standard double with an extra bed and with, as stated, a "partial sea view".
The room was rather small but very clean and functional. The bed was comfy and the bathroom nice, even though the bath itself was tiny and there was no hand held shower.
The staff was flawless and presented our little boy with a Princess gift pack wich he loved. The 2 balloons made his day perfect.
We had no idea the Olympic torch event was on during our stay, but it was fun and we really had "front row seats".
Breakfast was a joy, we were spoilt for choice.
Pancakes, full english including black pudding for those so inclined (I am not!), lot´s of pastries, plenty of fruit and berry compots with a choice in yoghurts.
Only flaw was the concentrate juices, too sweet, but well compensated but all the other nice items on the bountiful display.
Will definately stay there again, and next time make the most with the inviting looking swimming pool.
(It was a bit cold in the room at night, due to the thermostat beeing set to "summer", and we could not change it, but surely it is not the hotels fault that summer got postponed this year!

Room Tip: Next time I would book the executive room, not much more expensive, but it does look bigger and slig...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
robertsl, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you so much for your great feedback. I was very pleased to read what a wonderful time you and your family had and that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I know the team will be highly motivated by your fabulous feedback. I am also glad you were able to join us the weekend of the Torch, we were extremely proud to be a part of this and especially pleased that all our guests were able to enjoy the added highlights of its stay in Portsmouth. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Kind regards Laura
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Since my last visit 18 months ago, things have much improved at this hotel. Had a friendly welcome at check in and friendly goodbye on check out. Stayed in an executive room on the 6th floor, which was well equipped and comfortable. Saw none of the negatives that others have mentioned. Room and bathroom were very clean. The latter was small but no problem for a couple. Didn't have a sea view - worth remembering to request that. Breakfast was efficient and good value at £10.50. Plenty of good quality ingredients, including eggs freshly prepared for you if you wish. Lots of staff clearing tables. Didn't get a chance to try the other food as the restaurant was fully booked on our day of arrival and we had other arrangements for the second night.

Room Tip: Sea views from one side only.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hopeful-Guest
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Thank you so much for kind review, I am very pleased you have seen the improvements and not only enjoyed all aspects of your stay but taken the time to share your comments. Thank you and I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future. Kind regards Laura
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Stayed for one night before catching the ferry to the Isle of Wight the next morning.

Booked the room online, £128 for room only. A bit pricey in my opinion but I thought I would treat myself as we were on holiday and this was the first night.

Reception and associated areas were nice enough, pleasant team there and simple check in process.

The car park is tiny! If its busy, your 3 point turn skills will be useful at the back of the place!

The room wasn't really what I expected from Holiday Inn. It was a hell of a lot smaller than I'm used to and just appeared a little grubby. Bed comfortable enough, and TV great. Bathroom was as expected however if, again, a little grubby.

Had a few drinks in the bar - met a friend who got a glass of wine, which cost £7!!! I may be from up North where things are a little cheaper - but this DOES seem excessive. I could get two bottles for that from my local supermarket.

Breakfast (£10 each) was OK - buffet style as usual - but not worth £10.

It seems a lot of time and effort has been made to make the downstairs bit (bar/restaurant/reception) look lovely, but the rooms not so.

If I'm down that way again - I will not be staying. Would not recommend for the price. I've stayed in better hotels for half the price, with breakfast and wifi included.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay. Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not live up to your expectations. We have taken note of your comments and we will ensure to work on them to improve the aspects you have commented on. Please note that although we have only 60 car parking spaces, it is one of the largest Free carparks for any hotel in Southsea, Downtown Portsmouth, and should the car park be full, please contact the reception and we provide complimentary passes for hotel guests for street parking. Kind regards Laura

Travellers are raving about these Portsmouth hotels

Scotland
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed for one night on business. Exec room booked but not available upon check in so put in a standard room on 6th floor. Very much a 'business' hotel.

Decent sized room. Tiny bathroom. No iron. Pay wifi.

Room service door very average to the point of not good.

Didn't used pool etc.

Would probably come back but only if passing through for one night.

• Stayed July 2012
Thank you for your feedback, it was good to read we were fit for purpose for your business stay, and that you had no issues with service or cleanliness whilst staying. I do note your comments on being ‘Fairly average’ and we will continue to work on all aspects of service to improve on this. It is great to read you would return if in the area. Kind regards Laura
Newport s Wales
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Stayed here for one night. Omg the dust was thick room 511 The bed was ok.( slept in worst) The pool changing rooms r very poor.Oh the parking ok only got about 45 spaces. The evening meal I enjoyed,breakfast ok. My kids loved it, good location....won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: If you got hayfever you won't have a good night sleep....:-(
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies that you had dust in your room, I will ensure we are more thorough in future, as I appreciate how this can be disconcerting. I am sorry to hear you do not wish to return despite your kids enjoying their stay and your family enjoying the meals you had during your visit and our location being good. However based on all the things you did enjoy about your stay, should you change your mind in the future to return please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will personally ensure your room is to the correct standard . Kind regards Laura