“A hotel is only as good as the staff.....”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 7 June 2013

...and the staff were great. I am from Liverpool and I was in Portsmouth on business. The staff were down to earth and made me feel totally at ease, from the reception people and the breakfast staff right through to the young girl who looked after us all day. She told me that a crow would come and pick the window shortly. I was somewhat nonplussed by this, but soon after a crow turned up and pecked the window! Brilliant! The room was fine and the beer was good. For what I was there for, this was brilliant. Thank you to all at the Holiday Inn, and in particular to the young lady who looked after us.

Mick

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Thank you so much for your review. Your words read that you had a great stay and enjoyed all aspects, in particular the team. I do note you have only scored us as one star however and I am unsure if this is merely in error, and if not an error I would very much appreciate if you have time could advise me personally of any points you did not enjoy so that I may work on those to improve them. Kind regards Laura.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Bad points

Hotel is tired, reception looks good but rooms are old and need revamping. Food & drink prices are over the top for what you get and not particularly good. Noisy outside room with traffic and youths in park

Internet at £16 per night is a total rip off, I can't believe they can charge that. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in London at the weekend and it was only £6 per night . Management this really needs looking at. You can get a whole month for this!!

Good points

Spa is good and the staff are pleasant

I will not stay here again based on the Internet price, as a business man I need access and £16 per night is unacceptable

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Laura R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on your recent visit. I was very sorry to read of your disappointment with your stay. As highlighted in the below, we normally pride ourselves on our service we provide and I am very sad that you did not have the same experience. I have taken your comments on board and will work on them with my team. In regards to the internet, I am pleased to advise that as a Holiday Inn we will have some fantastic new options come 1st July 2013. Thank you once again for your comments and time, kind regards Laura

Reviewed 2 June 2013

This hotel is in a great location right opposite Southsea common and the sea. The reception area, bar and restaurant are very well kept, good first impressions. Stayed in a 'standard' room which was overall quite good although a little tired in places, especially the bathroom, but the shower was good - very powerful. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms a decent size. The 32" tvs are a nice touch.
The reception staff were very helpful and issued me with a street parking permit as the car park was full. Did not use the pool or gym so cant comment on them. Would stay again if I got a discounted rate.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to share your very kind feedback. It was great to read you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location great. The offer of return patronage is a fabulous compliment, thank you. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed here for a weekend break to celebrate my husband's birthday. The hotel is in a great position in Southsea only a few minutes walk to the seafront and15 mns walk to Gunwharf Quay, the spinnaker Tower and the Historic dockyard. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The lounge and bar area was very comfortable. We ate in the restaurant 1 evening and the food was very good and reasonable priced and better still children eat free. The hotel has a small swimming pool which is free to guests. There is also a sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi. The rooms were very well appointed and comfortable, however a little on the small side which was the only negative about this hotel. It felt rather cramped once the put in the camp bed for our son.

I would highly recommend this hotel for it's position and friendly staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your very kind feedback. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your visit and all aspects of the hotel. Should you be returning, please do not hesitate to contact us direct as we do have some great family rooms which are larger for those travelling with children and will try our best to allocate one to you if available. Thank you once again, kind regards Laura

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Chose this hotel mainly for its location - within walking distance of Old Portsmouth, including Spice Island, Gunwharf Quays, Southsea and of course the sea (many rooms have excellent sea views). The hotel is not fancy or luxurious, but comfortable with good service. We didn't eat there apart from breakfast, or use the pool etc, so I can't comment on those.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your kind feedback. I am very pleased to read you found our location excellent and good value for money. Although you did not have the chance to experience all aspects of the hotel during your stay, I am very pleased those you did were to your liking. Thank you again for your time, kind regards Laura

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

As title states, only a two night stay in the hotel but none the less, a splendid overall stay.

It is a busy hotel during the middle of the week due to a high number of business clientele from out of town.
With that said it must be a reputable establishment, with low fees.
The price for our stay was a bit pricy due to us getting a superior room.
The price jumps far to high from standard to superior.

Restaurant closes slightly early for my personal liking but provides delightful food.
Breakfast is a highly recommended must have.
The bar was splendid with TV's playing sports and news however the bar maid during the night shift was to aged for their fast paced employment. Hopefully that has been attended to.

The hotel boasts an indoor pool which I personally didn't use but recommend.
Overall good stay with helpful staff and service.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was very pleased to read you had a splendid stay, and enjoyed all apsects of your stay. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards Laura

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Good quiet location new seafront, walking distance to town centre. Good breakfast, easy parking once day conference had left. But the first room I was given stank of smoke and was really shabby. This was sorted out quickly, but the new bathroom loo was full of lime scale and really grotty. Okay for one night, but other hotels in the city offer better value and standards.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2013

Dear Seantig,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. It is great to know that you found our location convenient and had you enjoyed our breakfast. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation with regards to the room accommodation you were given. This is definitely not up to our standards and we are constantly working on improving the quality of service provided.

Regards,