“Pleasant stay”

Holiday Inn Portsmouth
Ranked #20 of 39 Hotels in Portsmouth
Reviewed 13 February 2014

First time I have stayed anywhere in Portsmouth so was unsure about where to stay. Having stayed at other Holiday Inn hotels around the country thought it would be a good place to start. I arrived very late but that was no issue. I was made to feel welcome and when I asked for something it came very quickly. The room was a very good size and very comfortable. I had no issues with the cleanliness of the hotel. Breakfast was good but a downside to the breakfast was that the bacon looked to be very dry. I will have no issue staying here again but have taken note about other comments.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Portsmouth, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found your room clean and comfortable. I am sorry for the issue with the bacon, I will pass on your comments to my chefs.
I do hope you will stay with us again very soon and again thank you for your positive feedback.

Kind regards, Cormac

Reviewed 10 February 2014

most hotel staff were exceptionaly friendly and helpful, the room was clean, nice bar area, good facilities, swimming pool ect, great location close to local amenities, only problem we had was my friend tried to order a sandwich past midnight and was refused by night staff even though in brocher it states 24h service

• Stayed: February 2014
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

I am sorry we were not able to provide your friend with a sandwich after midnight, I will certainly investigate the reason for this. However I would like to thank you for your positive comments, I was pleased to note you enjoyed our hotel facilities including the swimming pool.

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your feedback. We hope to welcome you back to Portsmouth soon.

Regards Cormac

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed just the one night. It is what it is .Ok so paid for the upgrade £15 pounds for room with a view (which was lovely) and 1 Kit Kat and 2 bottles of sparkling water, was charged for packet of peanuts,Mars Bar,which I thought a little harsh as thought things in fridge were all part of the upgrade. Room ok a little on the small side but adequate. Staff all friendly and polite. Breakfast good value. Would stay again. But Upgrade? Maybe not!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms level 6 offer good views if facing South.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank ian r
Cormac O, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to let us have your feedback on your recent stay at this hotel. I am very sorry that it was not explained to you that the room upgrade does not include mini bar items. Thank you very much for your positive comments regarding your room and breakfast, we hope you will come back to us soon. Regards, Cormac

Reviewed 24 January 2014

I believe in sharing honesty especially with feedback. I stayed at this hotel on the weekend of 18.01.2014 and I checked in quick since i had been booked out from Holiday inn express. I checked in a room which had human dung in the toliet. This was very much unacceptable but i managed to change rooms but still, i was not happy with the state of the room. It was smelling like smoke. The hotel is really nice becuase it has got a swimming pool, jaccuzi and a gym. Just a few you would find with such facility.
I would say go to this hotel if you do not expect much from their room standard. Its just basic or maybe itsb the room i was checked in.
I am happy with night staff at the bar,. It was 2 gentlement there and also room service was fantastic.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Cormac O, Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I was very sorry indeed to note the condition of your bathroom, as you say this was unacceptable. As the new GM at the Holiday Inn Portsmouth, I am committed to ensuring the necessary improvements are put in place throughout the hotel. I was however pleased to note you enjoyed our Leisure club facilities and hope you will return to us soon.

Kind regards, Cormac O'Keefe, General Manager

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stay at this hotel on a regular basis whilst working away. Sadly its the best of a bad bunch in Portsmouth. The rooms are average some are better than others and have been updated recently. You take your chances at reception usually the staff are OK but one person is generally rude and unhelpful. As an IHG member you get no benefits, no upgrades and sometimes do not get the free drink or bonus points on arrival. Every morning at breakfast you are asked if you want tea or coffee. Unless David is on you wont get any unless you ask again after about 5 minutes. If you want poached eggs be prepared for a very long wait. This could and should be a nice hotel but some of the staff let it down badly.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lysander69uk
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear lysander69uk,

Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback. I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectation. Your comments about the room conditions and the variety of breakfast choices have been documented and we are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Janice A

Reviewed 19 January 2014

I am an IHG Ambassdor and on check in was advised I had been upgraded to an Executive room. If this is the best the hotel has to offer I feel sorry for everyone else.

The room was very small and in serious need of updating. There was a strong smell of urine in the bathroom and this is because there are issues with the toilet's flush.

I believe some of the rooms have views of the sea - ours was a pretty dismal view .

The bed was very uncomfortable and the pillows all need throwing away.

The staff on reception were very good and professional beyond the establishment they are working in.

Stayed: January 2014

Dear Bridgehouse_10,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We value you as our IHG Rewards Club Ambassador member. We are so sorry to hear about your experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back in the area.

Krysllin G.

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We spent 4 nights at the Holiday Inn Portsmouth in mid-November, 2013 on our vacation. Our main reason for visiting was to see the military history associated with this area of the country, including several historic warships, an excellent D-Day Landing Museum, and nearby Southwick House. We found Portsmouth to be an enjoyable city - not too big, relatively easy to walk & situated right on the harbor with views into the bay that leads to the English Channel. We also spent several evenings at an outside shopping center next to the Harbor called The Gunwharf Quay, which had a good selection of restaurants and shops, and was nicely decorated for the holidays.

As for the Holiday Inn, we were able to secure a room that included breakfast for two. We chose to walk to the hotel from the train station, which took just over 20 minutes and had us completing our journey in a residential neighborhood. The hotel is in a quiet area, and we always felt safe walking around, but there is not much to do around the hotel in the evening. If you are looking for lodging nearer to nightlife, we would recommend you consider the Holiday Inn Express located right next to The Gunwharf Quay shopping & entertainment center, and a 5 minute walk to the train station (Portsmouth The Hard).

Positives:
+ Quiet location, located in more of a residential area. A 5 minute walk to the Clarence Pier (carnival & video games, great for kids & families) and the sea wall. Also, was about a 20 minute walk to the D-Day Museum (opposite direction from the Harbor).
+ Just about equidistant walking time/distance (20 minutes) between the two main train stations, Portsmouth South Sea and Portsmouth The Hard (which is the one next to the harbor).
+ Pool on-site, indoor
+ Reasonably affordable. We paid ~ $200/night, including breakfast for two.

Negatives:
- Location in relation to the train station, approximately a 20 minute walk.
- Small room, even for England. But it did have the basic amenities.
- No free wi-fi unless you are a Holiday Inn hotel chain member with status. We paid 5 gbp/hour.
- Average breakfast, especially an over-promise on the typically-runny egg choices. Otherwise, a standard selection of breads, cereal, breakfast meats and pastries.
- Fitness facility was small. About 6 pieces of cardio equipment (treadmill & elliptical), but only a few machines for weight training.
- Definitely not a modern hotel. Decor was basic, no frills and the building almost seemed to be a converted apartment building.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SiteSeekers2000
IHGCare, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portsmouth, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear SiteSeekers2000,

Thank you for your candid feedback. It is unfortunate you were not fully satisfied with the accommodations and location of our hotel, but we are pleased your sightseeing event was a highlight. We are also pleased you did enjoy our onsite pool. We are always looking for ways to improve our hotel, and your feedback will help us to do so.

Regards,